Guest toothe

<t>readthe message</t>  

34 members have voted

1. 1. readthe message

• yeah i do sometimes
    • when commuting but not on a fast drive
    • Dont be stupid
    • not yet but i might do.

No way, I prefer keeping my wits about me while riding. In the car its different, less intrusive, but on the bike it would be full on in your ears. Unless you have a Goldwing,.............and if you do, snipers should be allowed to take pot shots at you while you drive along :twisted:

toothe - You do like your polls don't you :wink:

Don't listen to atm because of lack of experience. Would do if I was going down the motorway or something as you can't really hear anything useful at that speed. Plan on getting earplugs for my touring trip and will bring my ipod along as well.

never....i need to concentrate!
me 2............never bothered like to hear the bike....... :lol:

yes,definately a better noise than a lot of music.....

why drown it out......enjoy the sound of ya bike

i dont, and since i ride about 200 miles on the occasional friday to see the OH, my ears are starting to get a bit of a ringing in the back ground, so im seriously considering getting an mp3 player, i may not turn it on, but at least then ive got the option.

Guest philgale

i do sometimes.....at the moment only have 1 earphone in but have ridden with both in before...

i prefer it when on the motorway as you can treally hear much anyway, i had my ipod on all the way to wales and back for the tonny meet...

I wouldn't.

I had a friend who had a 50cc bike, everything was legal but he had earplugs in, he was going down a road when a skip lorry went to overtake him but he got caught on it and was pulled under the back tyres and sadly died.

After the investigation they found that they were both at fault, the skip lorry driver mainly for negligance, but my friend was at fault too for wearing his earplugs, this lead him not knowing that the skip truck was over taking him and where it was until it was too late.

Guest philgale

shoulder checks????

it doesnt matter if you cant hear something i always shoulder check before moving out.....that way i see it which is better than hearing

No excuse....

Doesn't make any difference...

You have just disabled one of your senses.... :roll:

They are there for a reason... And before someone pops up with the old favourite about what if you were deaf its a completely different situation....

Listening to music is still a distraction....

Cars are different as you can't hear much from outside anyway as cars are designed that way...

Although its not illegal in the UK this is what the highway code advises

Safe driving and riding needs concentration.

Avoid distractions when driving or riding such as

loud music (this may mask other sounds)

trying to read maps

inserting a cassette or CD or tuning a radio

arguing with your passengers or other road users

eating and drinking

smoking

On another note, whilst riding you may not think the wind noise is loud but it can be about 120dB at speed. Whilst you maybe thinking so what, at your place of work if the noise is above 80dB by law your company should supply you with ear muffs. Therefore for your stereo to be any use whatsoever it needs to be louder than the ambient noise and is therefore doing your hearing damage.

On another note, whilst riding you may not think the wind noise is loud but it can be about 120dB at speed. Whilst you maybe thinking so what, at your place of work if the noise is above 80dB by law your company should supply you with ear muffs. Therefore for your stereo to be any use whatsoever it needs to be louder than the ambient noise and is therefore doing your hearing damage.

If you use 'ear canal' type earphones then they will act like ear bungs and reduce the wind noise. I tried them with an adapted sat nav the one time and could clearly hear the spoken word at the normal 'car' volume at every speed I tried. If you were fitting loudspeakers into a helmet then the 120db would need to be defeated.

I use a sat nav if I am riding in cities I don't know or down in south London, ( I can get lost for hours down there without one ), and listen to mp3's on it through ear buds which double as protection against wind noise on the fast run up to town and back again, I don't find it distracting and don't have it so loud that I can't hear what is going on around me. but I do have to watch what I listen to as some music does make me ride a lot faster.

I use a sat nav if I am riding in cities I don't know or down in south London, ( I can get lost for hours down there without one ), and listen to mp3's on it through ear buds which double as protection against wind noise on the fast run up to town and back again, I don't find it distracting and don't have it so loud that I can't hear what is going on around me. but I do have to watch what I listen to as some music does make me ride a lot faster.

Whereabouts in South London? :roll: