Registration is quick and easy 

coronavirus....

Six30

33 minutes ago, MarkW said:

I'm just disappointed that nobody has liked my picture of Hugo A-Go-Go (the worlds maddest mad scientist, and arch enemy of Batfink). 

My genius is wasted on you lot...

😔

You already knew that 😂

I loved batfink when I was a kid but cannot remember a single thing about it apart from “MY WINGS ARE LIKE A SHIELD OF STEEL”

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KiwiBob said:

The mortality rate for flu is 0.1% .. If the covid-19 mortality rate is 2% then it is 20 times that of flu!

Yes, I know. And when was the last time any of us seriously worried about getting flu? What's pertinent here is not the fact that it's 20 times worse than something with an extremely low mortality rate that we've been vaccinating people against for years and that most of us never give a moments thought to, it's the fact that 2% is still bugger all compared to what else is lurking out there. And having seen how an 'advanced' first world country like ours has handled this one, that's something for which we should be very thankful.

We're Bikers, Motorcyclists, Brothers and Sisters of the Wheel ... worried about a virus, really !!

We need to be worried about drunken east european HGV drivers ...sod the virus ..... Risk Theory anyone ?

9 minutes ago, MarkW said:

Yes, I know. And when was the last time any of us seriously worried about getting flu? What's pertinent here is not the fact that it's 20 times worse than something with an mortality rate that we've been vaccinating people against for years and that most of us never give a moments thought to, it's the fact that 2% is still bugger all compared to what else is lurking out there. And having seen how an 'advanced' first world country like ours has handled this one, that's something for which we should be very thankful.

I think you're looking at this from the wrong angle! It may have what you call an "extremely low" mortality rate of 2% ..  but its transmission rate is extremely high! .. If half the population catch it then the deaths numbers are going horrendous!

1 minute ago, KiwiBob said:

I think you're looking at this from the wrong angle! It may have what you call an "extremely low" mortality rate of 2% ..  but its transmission rate is extremely high! .. If half the population catch it then the deaths numbers are going horrendous!

That's not the point. 

20 minutes ago, MarkW said:

Yes, I know. And when was the last time any of us seriously worried about getting flu? What's pertinent here is not the fact that it's 20 times worse than something with an extremely low mortality rate that we've been vaccinating people against for years and that most of us never give a moments thought to, it's the fact that 2% is still bugger all compared to what else is lurking out there. And having seen how an 'advanced' first world country like ours has handled this one, that's something for which we should be very thankful.

Anyone want to make any bets on the next horror to land upon us? As MarkW has said this particular virus is in the great scheme of things not that bad. The next one, and there will be one, may well turn out to be an order of magnitude worse. You could hope that globally governments will have learned lessons but I think the chance of that happening is close to zero.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MarkW said:

That's not the point. 

So what is the point?

You mention Marburg virus. So which are you more afraid of Marburg disease which in 1967 there were 31 cases of which 7(23%) died .. Or covid-19(mortality rate 2%) where millions catch it and hundreds of thousands die?

3 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Anyone want to make any bets on the next horror to land upon us? As MarkW has said this particular virus is in the great scheme of things not that bad. The next one, and there will be one, may well turn out to be an order of magnitude worse. You could hope that globally governments will have learned lessons but I think the chance of that happening is close to zero.

I think you should wait till its over before saying things like its "not too bad"!

Just now, KiwiBob said:

I think you should wait till its over before saying things like its "not too bad"!

It will never be over. Covid is now endemic and  sooner or later we will have to learn to live with it. Hopefully the vaccines will work but they will not eliminate it and its naive to think they will. My point is that the next novel virus to come along maybe considerably worse.

3 minutes ago, KiwiBob said:

So what is the point?

You mention Marburg virus. So which are you more afraid of Marburg disease which in 1967 there were 31 cases of which 7(23%) died .. Or covid-19(mortality rate 2%) where millions catch it and hundreds of thousands die?

The weighted Case Fatality Rate for Marburg is 54% with strain-specific fatality well over 80%.

I'm certainly not afraid of SARS-CoV-2, either inside our laboratory or out. In the lab it gets treated with the same respect as everything else in our human pathogen store, and outside it I continue to manage the risk, albeit in different ways. I'd certainly prefer not to contract Covid-19, but I can't say that the possibility of it weighs particularly heavily on my mind. 

The point - to return to it - is in my very first email on this earlier today. The government has only 'got away' with the sheer incompetence with which they have handled this pandemic by virtue of the fact that the mortality rate for Covid-19 is pretty low - regardless of how it compares to flu. Had the pandemic been caused by something a bit more lively, then this level of ineptitude would have had very much more serious consequences.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MarkW said:

The weighted Case Fatality Rate for Marburg is 54% with strain-specific fatality well over 80%.

I'm certainly not afraid of SARS-CoV-2, either inside our laboratory or out. In the lab it gets treated with the same respect as everything else in our human pathogen store, and outside it I continue to manage the risk, albeit in different ways. I'd certainly prefer not to contract Covid-19, but I can't say that the possibility of it weighs particularly heavily on my mind. 

The point - to return to it - is in my very first email on this earlier today. The government has only 'got away' with the sheer incompetence with which they have handled this pandemic by virtue of the fact that the mortality rate for Covid-19 is pretty low - regardless of how it compares to flu. Had the pandemic been caused by something a bit more lively, then this level of ineptitude would have had very much more serious consequences.

On the brighter side of the government, does Boris ever comb his hair.

I find that carefully constructed rumple haircut irritating, you can see it’s deliberately combed in different directions, I bet if you saw him after a swim (shudder) he’s busy hiding his balding which I find sad. Then again bald men are unlikely to get elected, it’s the main reason Starmers a genuine threat

😂🤣😂🤣😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Anyone but Gove please. Of all or politicians I find him the most creepy. Looks like bloody Himmler.

I’m always put in mind of some sort of hybrid, something between an Indiana Jones baddy and the childcatcher. 

Edited by Slowlycatchymonkey
  • Like 2

Just now, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I’m always put in mind of some sort of hybrid, something between and Indiana Jones baddy and the childcatcher. 

Absolutely. A film baddy all the way.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Anyone but Gove please. Of all or politicians I find him the most creepy. Looks like bloody Himmler.

Gove has a face that you would never get tired of thumping!

• Like 1

A friend just txt to say she’s had a terrible day trying to homeschool her two girls, one is in secondary school so zoom lessons are used and one is primary so she has to sit and work through it with her. The elder one is dyslexic and so frequently cannot understand, freezes and loses the whole lesson so she has to try and do both resulting in the eldest today getting completely confused and bursting into tears. 
We exchanged some pleasantries to try n lighten the mood and I said get yourself something nice to eat this evening, she said “I have, I’m having gin” 😂 Wonder how many other parents are having to go medicinal at meal times?!

Edited by Slowlycatchymonkey
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

A friend just txt to say she’s had a terrible day trying to homeschool her two girls, one is in secondary school so zoom lessons are used and one is primary so she has to sit and work through it with her. The elder one is dyslexic and so frequently cannot understand, freezes and loses the whole lesson so she has to try and do both resulting in the eldest today getting completely confused and bursting into tears. 
We exchanged some pleasantries to try n lighten the mood and I said get yourself something nice to eat this evening, she said “I have, I’m having gin” 😂 Wonder how many other parents are having to go medicinal at meal times?!

Bursting in to tears , how terrible, hope she's ok now.

25 minutes ago, KiwiBob said:

Gove has a face that you would never get tired of thumping!

My new venture :thumb:

Introducing the Puncha Cushion, have any face you want on a cushion that you really want to punch!

Price to be confirmed.

Artists impression for illustration purposes only!

2116380525_Govecushion1.jpg.5a00b10a247b598a360ada024a9adc3f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Swagman said:

On the brighter side of the government, does Boris ever comb his hair.

yeh... here's  his hair brush ...

See the source image

Edited by Six30

7 minutes ago, James in Brum said:

forget clapping, can the public sector have some actual respectful gratitude in the way of remuneration please.

May be the private sector employees  who are losing their homes can borrow some money off the gold plated super safe public sector, full pay sat at home brigade .... 

More money for your cradle to grave safe jobs ... yea right ...!

Edited by Trooper74