Test centre closure Protest Ride - Barrow - Sun 11th May 08

There is a mass protest ride taking place in Barrow-In-Furness (Cumbria) on 11th May, to object to the closure of the DSA Motorbike Test Centre there and in Kendal, our two local centres (I did my test in Kendal).

Anyone wanting to take their bike test who lives in Cumbria will have to ride to either Carlisle or Blackburn, up to a 160 miles round trip for some.

There will be petitions being signed and local press at the starting point in Barrow at 9.30am, followed by a ride through Cumbria to the Test Centre at Carlisle.

I'll be there myself with a few mates for the petition signing, and will follow part of the route then peel off and go to work :(

I know there's not a lot of people on here from this area, but just putting it out there. All are welcome. Plus if anyone follows me to work there's free brews :lol:

Jadey.

http://www.crooks-suzuki.com/index.php?p=326

Count me in, give me chance to get some miles on the Kat....

The route is out of Barrow up the A595 to Millom, on to Whitehaven, Workington, Wigton then Carlisle, where run will end, own way back (motorway cause we can....) or A6 through Penrith and Shap, quality roads.. collecting bikers on route.

Wouldn't want to stomach it on a 125cc though...

80 mile each way?

At least they should be 'match fit' by the time they do their tests!

:laugh:

I was going to say that :damn:

:lol:

The main reason why they close em down is due to a lack of use ........ I wouldn't protest to hard....They may start failing people to keep buisness up if they have to keep it open :lol:

Fair enough, but if you wanna ride a 50cc you'll have to attend one of these MP Test Ctrs, and not a local one, here in Barrow a lot of youngsters get there first experience of the road on two wheels, the instructor who trains them is always busy..

i think the nature of the terrain here and in yorkshire should have been taken into consideration, i bet the ones in the big cities are easier to get to/ closer..

if you make it too difficult then you are not giving people a fair choice. or is the government trying to get motorcycle accident stats down by having less teens out on bikes, just means we'll have more boy racers without a care for bikers, out on the highway..

my 2cents

Statistically its easier taking a Cat B (car) test in a urban area than a rural area, I would assume its the same on a bike.

I always booked my pupils test in the morning during rush hour and the school run 8)

Bit behind here but a co-py from another site

There is a mass protest ride taking place in Barrow-In-Furness (Cumbria) on 11th May, to object to the closure of the DSA Motorbike Test Centre there and in Kendal, the two local centres .

Anyone wanting to take their bike test who lives in Cumbria will have to ride to either Carlisle or Blackburn, up to a 160 miles round trip for some.

There will be petitions being signed and local press at the starting point in Barrow at 9.30am, followed by a ride through Cumbria to the Test Centre at Carlisle.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah martins on there, if you look carefully when the camera pans to the rear of the bikes coming in my bike is left of the 10 mph sign on the road.. white wheel