Why people visit Portugal

husoi

3 minutes ago, husoi said:

Of course.

Madeira and  Azores are part of the country

I enjoyed our week in Madeira. Mind, that was because we stayed away from the main centres of population and had a great time walking the Levadas.  The bus ride back to Funchal from the Valley of the Nuns was a bit nerve wracking, mind. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

I enjoyed our week in Madeira. Mind, that was because we stayed away from the main centres of population and had a great time walking the Levadas.  The bus ride back to Funchal from the Valley of the Nuns was a bit nerve wracking, mind. 

The main difference between Madeira and Azores in a touristic point of view is that Azores is less "developed" for tourism than Madeira. So if you enjoy a nature holiday instead of a more urban type you would want to visit the Azores.

26 minutes ago, husoi said:

The main difference between Madeira and Azores in a touristic point of view is that Azores is less "developed" for tourism than Madeira. So if you enjoy a nature holiday instead of a more urban type you would want to visit the Azores.

They do look amazing.

• Thanks 1

Its on our list of places to try. I love Croatia for its friendly people and great food, also Malta too but my in laws are Maltese so I'm a little biased. Prague and Czech Republic great for city breaks and still cheap if you know where to go, some lovely places out towards the Austrian border. We are stopping in the UK this year but once all settles down I'll give Portugal a try 

• Like 1

Just now, geofferz said:

All drugs are decriminalised in Lisbon which is nice.  I was walking down the street and someone offered me cocaine.  I was like it's 10am!!! So I bought 2 grams.

Don't be stupid!!!

34 minutes ago, husoi said:

Instead of talking shite get your facts correct.

https://transformdrugs.org/blog/drug-decriminalisation-in-portugal-setting-the-record-straight

I wonder if you think you went to Portugal but in fact ended up in Morocco... 

Don't talk to me like that you loser.  The first line of your artical says

"Portugal decriminalised the possession of all drugs for personal use in 2001"

Soooooooooo

You sound like those moronic idiots that travel just to get cheap sex in Thailand, magic mushrooms in Amsterdam or come into the UK for free NHS treatment.

If your aim when going to Portugal is to get drugs convinced that you won't go to jail you're better research a bit deeper.

People caught in possession WILL still get detained and taken to a police station where drugs will be weighted. If instead of 2gr you are caught with 2.00001 gr you're considered a trafficker and will get arrested.

If the amount is EXACTLY 2gr or below you will have a fine and risk being present to a commission for assessment and potential treatment.

Nice way to spend your holidays...

But by all means, don' go there again. We don't need any more junkies in the country.

22 minutes ago, husoi said:

You sound like those moronic idiots that travel just to get cheap sex in Thailand, magic mushrooms in Amsterdam or come into the UK for free NHS treatment.

If your aim when going to Portugal is to get drugs convinced that you won't go to jail you're better research a bit deeper.

People caught in possession WILL still get detained and taken to a police station where drugs will be weighted. If instead of 2gr you are caught with 2.00001 gr you're considered a trafficker and will get arrested.

If the amount is EXACTLY 2gr or below you will have a fine and risk being present to a commission for assessment and potential treatment.

Nice way to spend your holidays...

But by all means, don' go there again. We don't need any more junkies in the country.

Haha!! Chill our bro - you'll live longer.  All I said was drugs were decriminalised which you tried to debunk by posting an article which stated my point in the first line 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Welcome to my ignore list 😃

Edited by geofferz

Play nice now 😁 

Been to Portugal couple of times, found it expensive and the drugs use and drugged up locals in albufeira was fairly alarming, yes we went to tourist trap we were tourists with kids doing self catering, worked out cheaper to hire car and go to one of the cheap supermarkets.

4 minutes ago, Bender said:

Play nice now 😁 

Been to Portugal couple of times, found it expensive and the drugs use and drugged up locals in albufeira was fairly alarming, yes we went to tourist trap we were tourists with kids doing self catering, worked out cheaper to hire car and go to one of the cheap supermarkets.

I never understood the fascination Brits have with both Albufeira and Lagos (further west). They are on the top 5 more expensive areas in the Algarve.

Then you have the Algarve the most expensive area for tourism in the whole country and the least representative of the country's culture.

Want a flavour of the genuine Portugal then go to Lisbon or Porto.

If you're adventurous then hire a car and travel between Lisbon and Porto.

As alternative a trip between Lisbon and "Costa Vincentina" West southern coast between Lisbon and Sagres in the Algarve.

If Algarve's beaches are your thing then you want to rent away from any larger town west of  Quarteira and Albufeira. Faro is always busy being a district capital.

The "Sotavento Algarvio" Eastern region is quieter and more sandy beaches than what you find in the West. Being East faced it is protected from the Atlantic wind making the seawater warmer (depending on the time of the year).

True that Drugs are still a major problem although a great improvement been achieved since 2001 with the targeting of traffickers instead of consumers.

One of the recognised problem, widely documented, is the drugs tourism as explained above :thumb: 

We may have bad heated temper but still love to welcome tourists and as you probably noticed stupidly proud of our country, people and culture :cool: 

And no, I won't go aggressive to my favourite twat :lol: 

We stayed in Vale de carrow.

Prostitution appeared to be the second only to drugs, was probably about 12yr ago now, things may have got worse since then 😂 

Was some lovely countryside and we used car to see a fair bit of it.

10 hours ago, Bender said:

We stayed in Vale de carrow.

Prostitution appeared to be the second only to drugs, was probably about 12yr ago now, things may have got worse since then 😂 

Was some lovely countryside and we used car to see a fair bit of it.

Is that Vale de Carros? Near "Olhos d'agua" village?

Prostitution is an European problem not just Portugal. You will find the same in St. Andrews and lot worse in London...

58 minutes ago, husoi said:

Is that Vale de Carros? Near "Olhos d'agua" village?

Prostitution is an European problem not just Portugal. You will find the same in St. Andrews and lot worse in London...

Unfortunately  all too often the drug scene and prostitution are very closely linked. Both are controlled by criminal gangs and women in prostitution are frequently funding a drug habit. As you say a problem which is pretty well global.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, James in Brum said:

There is also people trafficking and the women may not be addicted before they are enslaved. 
some are groomed and some forced.

Very true but as @S-Westerly says that's a global problem not specific to a single country or region.

10 minutes ago, husoi said:

Very true but as @S-Westerly says that's a global problem not specific to a single country or region.

Yes absolutely. My comment is not about Portugal but everywhere. Barcelona was astonishingly obvious. My comment was more that some people think Drugs lead to prostitution and reasonably often it is the other way round. 

• Like 1

Fook me it sounds a right shithole ... drugs , prostitution people trafficking 

cheaper to go to Hull but try and pick a week with good weather .

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Six30 said:

Fook me it sounds a right shithole ... drugs , prostitution people trafficking 

cheaper to go to Hull but try and pick a week with good weather .

And that's what I strongly suggest you should do.

We have enough tw@ts going there and enjoying themselves. Last thing we need is moaning tw@ts... 😋

PS: aren't hookers cheaper in Birmingham? 🤔

Edited by husoi
  • Haha 1