What did you do to your bike today?

Stu

2 hours ago, husoi said:

This maybe would be better on my trailer thread, that is if I could be bothered to look for it 😁

After a total failure of the hinges in the trailer, I should have predicted that they weren't strong enough for the new purpose.

1131224772_oldhinge.thumb.jpg.8a6e26614777c5d07efefd7fc5fc2e99.jpg

With just over 1mm thickness this have shown that was far being strong enough.

Searched the market without any luck in finding a suitable hinge that would fit the purpose.

The requirements are that when fully closed there is a big enough gap for the fixings.

So I had to design and manufacture them :cool: 

These are the materials used:

35X2mm SS bar

Ø6mm rod

Ø10m OD tube with 2mm wall

763156853_hingerawmaterial.thumb.jpg.3fcb0ee6ad32c2a24133ddc4246f24b3.jpg

These are a few of the steps I have

1211075547_firsthinge1side.thumb.jpg.6d29bc9bee8f970bdf679d280e2d3826.jpg

1505634155_firsthinge1side1.thumb.jpg.c59c56dbd35b68186ed5d2ff1704338a.jpg

Back view of the complete hinge 

1548537341_firsthingeback.thumb.jpg.5fba63bf3dffdf731a04511961e13b25.jpg

Inside view of the hinge

17167240_firsthingeinside.thumb.jpg.3baf9636992b2b6dddf4cbb186dff2af.jpg

Almost finished, just need securing the axle and make the holes for the bolts and revites

654109746_firsthingeinside2.thumb.jpg.2fb4cce55c657cfe64641caa257229ee.jpg

Just an idea but:

https://www.boatfittings.co.uk/c/boat_cabin_hardware/hinges
S/S built a bit stronger...

7 hours ago, onesea said:

Just an idea but:

https://www.boatfittings.co.uk/c/boat_cabin_hardware/hinges
S/S built a bit stronger...

I saw them, the problem is that when closed there is no gap between the arms of the hinge, the bolts and the rivets will be keeping it open. I must have the 10mm gap :) 

11 hours ago, Stu said:

Well my plan for a big ride was put to a halt! only managed the first leg which is where I went to look at some bikes in a dealers! although that was the destination then on from there we was supposed to go home via snake pass

But I ended up spending way too long in the dealers talking about this :D 

Screenshot_20210610-165332_Chrome.jpg

Deposit paid and its sold pending a test ride tomorrow :cool: 

It's a BMW Electraglide . 😉

• Haha 2

On 07/06/2021 at 23:17, oldgrump said:

Well I fitted the new rear tyre.SAM_3669.thumb.JPG.888f84e143663bfaa24c8bcadc640c58.JPG

Then found out why the VFR stopped in Scotland, thought the rectifier had failed at first, but pulling the panels off found this mess!!

Rectifier was only 6000 miles old!!!!! Have sent photos to company who supplied it.

SAM_3668.JPG

SAM_3663.JPG

Unfortunately par for the course for certain Hondas of that age. I went through 2 rectifiers and a stator on my 929 Fireblade in 6 years. In the end I kept one of each spare and classed them as consumables. There’s not enough air flow where they’re sited and they overheat.

Using a £24 waterproof case I made a phone holder. :cool: 

Internal padding from 4mm waterproof undelay

804044515_phonemount2.thumb.jpg.3c58279ab5e2326d45e0768f1ee83b1a.jpg

Closed box

673962912_Phonemount1.thumb.jpg.c2cee4f5d766e9cb019e5846e4fb277d.jpg

Phone holder with phone (cover) inside

142950902_phonecase.thumb.jpg.4352567f2ea9ba4984c6fb4622a5c8cf.jpg

Handlebar mount. The original idea was to use a pair of U-bolts and some raisers to keep it above the fixings but then I found this handlebar mount in my magic box :thumb: 

2056740782_barmount.thumb.jpg.a993809452fd8db428436ed2932c101a.jpg

I know probably will have lots of glare from the polycarbonate box but cheaper than getting a £50 decent phone holder or a second mount for the zumo XT 🙃

• Like 2

Just got back from the BikeSafe course with the Met out of the Warren. 5 attendee's (6th was a no show) with each having our own officer. The morning was all about videos and discussion then a shortish ride out before lunch, with the afternoon being all about the riding. 

I now await the feedback with the things I can improve on. There was a couple of bits my instructor mentioned when we had the odd stop, which gives me something to work on.

Really recommend this course.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, dynax said:

That's the studs done on the oil filter cover, just waiting on the new seal to arrive and we should be all good :thumb:

Just ran the bike for a few seconds to get the oil circulating and we are sealed no leaks :thumb:

• Like 6

Put a phone mount on it. Andy made me an accessory bar for it but its actually better on the handlebars. Dont know what make it is but its a bit shit in that you have to squeeze it together around the phone then tighten it. Thats fine if you have the grip of a freak but ive knackered both my thumbs from years of abuse. Ive a good dose of arthritis in both thumb joints. I used to be a self employed pond and aquarium cleaner so my hands were always in water. I had to stop as the pain became so bad i could hardly drive my beloved Golf with its fat tyres and no steering assistance 🥺 i loved that car 😩 Anyhoo ill stick a pic on later so you can avoid that ph mount 😁

***update*** ph holder works but i would only trust it with the rubber doohickey on it. Went over Snake Pass and Woodhead pass and it needs to be higher so i can see the twisties before i get to them. Going to put it on the bar Andy made.  Im really struggling getting up those steep uphill hair pin cambered bends !!! I always end up on the other side of the road. Terrifying !!! If i know ones coming i send andy up to let me know if its clear 😒 not ideal. I hate not being able to just do this stuff. Some people make it look so easy !!! 

20210613_105515.jpg

Edited by gymwitch
Updated

After a couple of hours of using a mixture of carb cleaner and petrol and pedal power managed to get Florence running albeit somewhat sporadically, probably a build up of varnish as she hasn't been run since last year, will leave her for a bit and give the petrol chance to dissolve any build up then try again later and see if she runs any better :thumb:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gymwitch said:

Put a phone mount on it. Andy made me an accessory bar for it but its actually better on the handlebars. Dont know what make it is but its a bit shit in that you have to squeeze it together around the phone then tighten it. Thats fine if you have the grip of a freak but ive knackered both my thumbs from years of abuse. Ive a good dose of arthritis in both thumb joints. I used to be a self employed pond and aquarium cleaner so my hands were always in water. I had to stop as the pain became so bad i could hardly drive my beloved Golf with its fat tyres and no steering assistance 🥺 i loved that car 😩 Anyhoo ill stick a pic on later so you can avoid that ph mount 😁

20210613_105515.jpg

Have a look for quadmount 

Its expensive and only covers some phones but it works extremely well 

• Like 1

Added a servo buddy to improve the acoustics of the bike. Decided to give it a whirl to test it out and ended up discovering an absolutely stonking biking route through Sevenoaks and Tonbridge. Miles and miles of country lanes with almost flawless tarmac and beautiful scenery to boot.

• Like 3

Left Sunny Fife at around 1pm and rode to St. Mary's Loch to greeted with cold, rain and strong wind.

This is why I shouldn't have travelled near 2000 miles to Cornwall... 🙄

Shadow behaved beautifully, with 33mpg 🤔. True to be said most of the time was 3rd and 4th gear.

IMG_20210613_152501.thumb.jpg.95baf731b01236ddbccdb723d2044ab8.jpg

• Like 3

Left the bike securely locked up with a neighbour watching the house on Friday. My wife and I took the 4 children camping to Haxey Quays campsite ... 17, 11, 9 and 3.

We had  great time, the middle  two playing out with hoards of other children until midnight Friday and Saturday nights .. The youngest girls teacher came wandering past on Saturday morning with his 12 year old twin boys and his 3 year old boy triplets ... !!

I cooked sausage sandwiches for all of us as his wife had a lay in ...lol 

Over 300 people on site and not a mask to be seen ....

But the serious thought Jules and I had on Sunday morning ... why was the campsite completely White ..... ??

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Trooper74 said:

Left the bike securely locked up with a neighbour watching the house on Friday. My wife and I took the 4 children camping to Haxey Quays campsite ... 17, 11, 9 and 3.

We had  great time, the middle  two playing out with hoards of other children until midnight Friday and Saturday nights .. The youngest girls teacher came wandering past on Saturday morning with his 12 year old twin boys and his 3 year old boy triplets ... !!

I cooked sausage sandwiches for all of us as his wife had a lay in ...lol 

Over 300 people on site and not a mask to be seen ....

But the serious thought Jules and I had on Sunday morning ... why was the campsite completely White ..... ??

Colombian dust 🤷🏻🤷🏻

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Have a look for quadmount 

Its expensive and only covers some phones but it works extremely well 

Tbf it worked fine but needs to be higher....back on the accessory bar it is then. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, husoi said:

Left Sunny Fife at around 1pm and rode to St. Mary's Loch to greeted with cold, rain and strong wind.

This is why I shouldn't have travelled near 2000 miles to Cornwall... 🙄

Shadow behaved beautifully, with 33mpg 🤔. True to be said most of the time was 3rd and 4th gear.

IMG_20210613_152501.thumb.jpg.95baf731b01236ddbccdb723d2044ab8.jpg

Well a bit different to the day we were sat there chilling out week and half ago!!

Must admit do like there Orange drizzle cake 🎂 and a cuppa 👍

IMG-20210602-WA0002.jpeg

• Like 3