What did you do to your bike today?

Stu

59 minutes ago, dynax said:

Welding hasn't worked with it being cast luckily I can get a complete replacement for £75 will have to wait till the weekend though to get one.

So as a temp fix I have managed to secure it with a heavy duty cable tie whether or not it will hold is another matter, just have to try and avoid braking too hard :lol:

May I direct you to 

Seriously though cable ties and brake calipers is not a good mix

33 minutes ago, geofferz said:

Bought an airbag suit. It's a bit baggy in places - anyone know if this is normal to allow for the airbag inflation? The tech is pretty new so not much info online. 20210714_124015.thumb.jpg.75290e4a4cd426de865cc891c9079443.jpg

I don't think they are meant to be very baggy as that would render the airbag system less effective. But when I was looking at rider airbags I came across comments that suits weren't that well fitting. Inevitable I suppose since we're all different shapes. 

5 hours ago, dynax said:

Welding hasn't worked with it being cast luckily I can get a complete replacement for £75 will have to wait till the weekend though to get one.

So as a temp fix I have managed to secure it with a heavy duty cable tie whether or not it will hold is another matter, just have to try and avoid braking too hard :lol:

WHAT THE f**k do you think you are doing !!!!

It's not just you this has implications for its anyone who is on the road network.

Seriously bodging some things  are on But brakes never...

3 hours ago, TimR said:

It's not just you this has implications for its anyone who is on the road network.

yes brakes are life savers

Just thinking, if the cable tie snapped and the caliper was launched off the disc its flight path would be determined by the brake hose, which in many cases means its trajectory is going to end impacting the riders visor.

This may require some rethinking.

On the other hand when the last Ford I purchased went in for its first service and they removed the front n/s wheel the caliper fell off. The bolts were missing. Only the wheel had kept it in place. 

Then the turbo failed, the glovebox lid fell off, the rear suspension went, the anti-roll bar mounts snapped, the battery leaked avid, the intercooler fell to bits, the anti-roll bar mounts snapped again, the gearbox had to be rebuilt - twice. It wasn't the best car in the world.

5 hours ago, TimR said:

1 hour ago, skyrider said:

yes brakes are life savers

18 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Just thinking, if the cable tie snapped and the caliper was launched off the disc its flight path would be determined by the brake hose, which in many cases means its trajectory is going to end impacting the riders visor.

On the other hand when the last Ford I purchased went in for its first service and they removed the front n/s wheel the caliper fell off. The bolts were missing. Only the wheel had kept it in place. 

Then the turbo failed, the glovebox lid fell off, the rear suspension went, the anti-roll bar mounts snapped, the battery leaked avid, the intercooler fell to bits, the anti-roll bar mounts snapped again, the gearbox had to be rebuilt - twice. It wasn't the best car in the world.

Just to save any confusion it is the rear caliper not the caliper itself just the part of the mounting bracket, the whole assembly though is attached through the spindle, there is a locking stud on the swingarm which stops it rotating with the wheel.

This is the interesting bit though I vaguely remember the caliper didn't look right, and thinking back and to how the lock caused so much movement on the bracket, the whole assembly was never fitted correctly in the first place.

Now that it is correctly fitted what happened couldn't have happened so for over 2 years I have been riding with an incorrectly fitted part, and the cable tie has no structural bearing on any part of the caliper.

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Sounds like a transit 😂 the reason I no longer drive them. 

On 08/07/2021 at 18:04, Fish said:

PASSED MY BLOODY MOD2!!!! Time to go shopping. 

PS. sorry for shouting, I'm just happy :)

only just seen this , nice one, well done.:thumb:

• Like 2

23 hours ago, geofferz said:

Bought an airbag suit. It's a bit baggy in places - anyone know if this is normal to allow for the airbag inflation? The tech is pretty new so not much info online. 20210714_124015.thumb.jpg.75290e4a4cd426de865cc891c9079443.jpg

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, dynax said:

Just to save any confusion it is the rear caliper not the caliper itself just the part of the mounting bracket, the whole assembly though is attached through the spindle, there is a locking stud on the swingarm which stops it rotating with the wheel.

This is the interesting bit though I vaguely remember the caliper didn't look right, and thinking back and to how the lock caused so much movement on the bracket, the whole assembly was never fitted correctly in the first place.

Now that it is correctly fitted what happened couldn't have happened so for over 2 years I have been riding with an incorrectly fitted part, and the cable tie has no structural bearing on any part of the caliper.

If it's the rear and as described then if you're sure it's safe go for it. It's a bit worrying it wasn't assembled right to start with. 

I mainly use the rear to balance the bike at slow speeds anyway, so it's rarely used at force.

6 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

If it's the rear and as described then if you're sure it's safe go for it. It's a bit worrying it wasn't assembled right to start with. 

I mainly use the rear to balance the bike at slow speeds anyway, so it's rarely used at force.

A new caliper set has been ordered just have to wait for it to arrive now.

To fit the caliper you have to virtually remove the wheel so you can get it on the locking stud on the swingarm, but when the lock pushed it, it moved it over 90 deg to the bottom of the wheel, so if the bracket was in the correct place the locking stud would have stopped it rotating, but anyway it as I only use the back brake as you do it has been fine and have done around 60 miles today, so I feel confident in the temp fix and the cable tie was used like a second pair of hands to hold the bracket in place while I put it all back together,  I just left it on as it's not in the way of anything :thumb:

Day off, so as I cant get a quote for anything bigger than my already insured 125 I thought I'd go for a ride..... SE London down to headcorn aerodrome to watch some fools jumping out of a perfectly fine plane and some doing some wing walking then down to Rye and onto Dungeness for a nice break then along to Hythe and back home up the M20.... Yes I'm shocked that I had to put the poor little 125 on the motorway, but it held 70 most of the way until it found a hill or two. ;)

On the way back the oil service light started so I'll get that booked next week.

Finally fitted a relay for the accessories in the ST1300.

Long due.

Now all accessories go dead once I turn off the ignition.

When I get all the bits for the fuel indicator and the USB charger for the shadow then I'll fit one there too :thumb: 

• Like 1

Last week during an inspection of my rear brake  I was rather shocked to discover that the pedal went right down to the stop without resistance and there was nothing happening at the caliper . So I stripped the master cylinder and this is what I found . The seal that goes on the internal spring was completely ruptured . I fitted a HD rebuild kit , bled the system and all is now well . In fact , the lever travel is considerably reduced which leads me to believe that the seal had a pin hole in it for some time . 

IMG_20210717_202138747_HDR.jpg

New bracket is on now for the rear caliper, hardest bit was trying to lift the back wheel balanced on a piece of wood while jiggling it about to get the spindle back in, all set now for a club ride out on Saturday to the Bubble car museum at Bardney :thumb:

Rode it. First time since the op. Over to Old Buckenham. Glorious ride home with everywhere glowing under the setting sun. Nice to be back on two wheels.

Edited by bonio
  • Like 5

17 hours ago, bonio said:

Rode it. First time since the op. Over to Old Buckenham. Glorious ride home with everywhere glowing under the setting sun. Nice to be back on two wheels.

Didn’t know you’d been under the knife. 
Glad to hear you’re on the mend. 

• Like 1

MOT done.

Clean sweep 

IMG_20210722_140104.thumb.jpg.78b86aad3f0f7f31d317ae4cbf3f808b.jpg

Can you believe the size of these earplugs??? 😳

IMG_20210722_134130.thumb.jpg.959f0423ee79360eac1bf995a0c0501a.jpg

Edited by husoi
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Well done on the MOT.

Those are plugs, but possibly for orifices other than your ears. Be careful.

Actually they are for exhausts on off-roaders when they are washed so water doesn't go in.

A waste of money if you ask me.