What did you do to your bike today?

Stu

Home from a great weekend at Croft. CMRC meeting and a good display from the club. Thanks to all who showed their bikes and organised the stand.
Had a great blast around the circuit in the parade laps on my 1980 Kawaski Z500. what a great way to mark the 40 years since i raced here.
Anyone who watched the parade laps please post pics for us to enjoy.
Rob B
723347618_BikesL.thumb.JPG.71757423c8fb98a0f8aaf550c2296b6a.JPG1634453665_BikesR.thumb.JPG.9d8233d3ad1d7546833d351b537a6e9a.JPG1256303010_Standandbikes.thumb.JPG.aa8e53a3eaef75b08985326f2fd5d737.JPGZ500.thumb.JPG.adf2433fcbe23243ce80d7a528242239.JPG
  • Like 6

On 23/09/2021 at 16:14, Stu said:

Good news there @jedibiker :thumb: 

In other news I took my bike for a ride to Marshal BMW in Grimsby where I booked it in for a service next Thursday! 

This will be the first time any of my bikes have been serviced be a dealer :shock:

In fairness its the first time you've owned a badge with a bike attached..... 😂 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Bender said:

In fairness its the first time you've owned a badge with a bike attached..... 😂 

I can't believe its taken you 10 days to think of that! 

You're slacking old man :lol: 

• Haha 1

On 30/09/2021 at 17:45, Throttled said:

I never got the  hang of ACF50 and found no matter what I did, shale the can, warm the can, or even spray a paint brush and paint it on, it went on gloopy and then dirt stuck to it. I am looking for options to get it done professionally and found somewhere not far that will do it for £70, including ceramic protection on the paint work. I like ceramic protection, which came with my father and then my last cars and I have found it to really work.

Well that's the point isn't it ? The dirt sticks to it , the bike turns black and in the spring you carefully remove all the filth including the ACF50 to reveal a gleaming and beautifully preserved bike underneath . That's what we used to do back in the day but with ordinary grease . 

42 minutes ago, Throttled said:

I cannot possibly get this object of beauty dirty

51558520536_7e66820891_c.jpg

I agree, that number 5 wheelie bin at the back there should be treasured.

9 minutes ago, Mr Fro said:

I look at your pannier and I think... 1950's yank tank fin...

I was looking at Versys parked up in Carlisle. I was considering if it would be an option when I eventually change bike… but those panniers 😳 Form over function? And only 28l each. 🙁

2 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

I was looking at Versys parked up in Carlisle. I was considering if it would be an option when I eventually change bike… but those panniers 😳 Form over function? And only 28l each. 🙁

It looks comfy though 

Well , today I rode my bike . Not the Harley , the ER5 . This thing is so quiet and smooth . Much smoother than my old one but it's all relative after riding a V twin  . I've got five gears but not a lot of clutch so I'll stick a new one in . If I'd bothered to check the tyre pressures I might have actually enjoyed my little trip around the block . As it was I ended up desperately wrestling the thing around corners armed only with a tiny ( To me ) pair of handlebars while trying to find the tiny ( to me ) gear lever . Anyone want to buy an ER5 ? 

IMG_20210926_185910114.jpg

• Like 1

Gave my trusty workhorse a bit more tlc. I did the brake fluid last week. Today it got new iridium plugs, air filter and coolant. The old coolant was bright green with no sign of any muck or corrosion which is usually a good sign.

IMG_20211007_090224620.jpg

Went out to test everything, runs fine. Got home and the road tax letter was on the mat. So it's cost me another £69 😒

Edited by Mississippi Bullfrog
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve_M said:

True. 

oh, and my bike had new tyres. My apologies for not posting and asking advice on which tyres would be best. 😂

🤔 err out of interest which tyres did you go for. I have the Pirelli Scorpion Trail II and I no likey. 

Not sure to post here, or in 'rant of the day'...

After the horrendous rain a few days ago, the engine fault light on my Versys came on and stayed on. I was fairly confident it was weather related, as I had taken the bike through some fairly deep puddles and the bow wave soaked everything including me.

A little read up on a forum dedicated to this model gave me the info to detect the error code ( oxygen sensor on exhaust), and the way to clear the fault -  which is where the rant comes in. To clear the light, you have to start the bike and leave for 30 secs on tickover, followed by 10 minutes of a constant speed over 18mph. Repeat 3 times.

This wizardry actually worked, fault cleared but it took around 80 miles up and down the A13 & A130 to get 3 consecutive rides of 10minutes without some fool making me slow below the minimum speed due to roadworks or lane changing without indicators. I stuck to 40mph which I thought was fast enough to not catch up with too many, without holding up others.

Still, cleared the fault, so happy days 😃

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shepherd said:

Not sure to post here, or in 'rant of the day'...

After the horrendous rain a few days ago, the engine fault light on my Versys came on and stayed on. I was fairly confident it was weather related, as I had taken the bike through some fairly deep puddles and the bow wave soaked everything including me.

A little read up on a forum dedicated to this model gave me the info to detect the error code ( oxygen sensor on exhaust), and the way to clear the fault -  which is where the rant comes in. To clear the light, you have to start the bike and leave for 30 secs on tickover, followed by 10 minutes of a constant speed over 18mph. Repeat 3 times.

This wizardry actually worked, fault cleared but it took around 80 miles up and down the A13 & A130 to get 3 consecutive rides of 10minutes without some fool making me slow below the minimum speed due to roadworks or lane changing without indicators. I stuck to 40mph which I thought was fast enough to not catch up with too many, without holding up others.

Still, cleared the fault, so happy days 😃

Well done you!

Just to report that I am very pleased with those iridium plugs I put into my humble CBF500 workhorse. Even in such a bog standard engine the difference is noticeable. Much smoother with better acceleration.

The old plugs weren't knackered by any means, they've done about 6k.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pie man said:

🤔 err out of interest which tyres did you go for. I have the Pirelli Scorpion Trail II and I no likey. 

I’m a 100% tarmac rider (though I did ride down Kielder Drive. Once). For that reason I have Michelin Road Pilot 5 Trails. £lots but I find them to work well on the GS. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

I’m a 100% tarmac rider (though I did ride down Kielder Drive. Once). For that reason I have Michelin Road Pilot 5 Trails. £lots but I find them to work well on the GS. 

Interesting to see views on adventure biased bikes. When My AT is ready for new tyres I was looking at Avon trailriders I had Avon's on my Tracer and they were great reviews seem to suggest the trailriders are pretty good 

I switched from Pirelli Scorpions to Metzlers as I found the  Pirellis to be quite soft. Grippy though, but the back tyre was gone after 8000 miles and my bikes not churning out hundreds of hp either.

• Like 1

Early on I settled on PR range, great tyres but when I needed to replace a front I found I could buy a pair of Avon Storm XT for £20 more.

I read afew reviews and my wallet, ruled my heart no regrets.  My next tyres will be the best.

The PR Range carries to much ££ premium.

8 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

I switched from Pirelli Scorpions to Metzlers as I found the  Pirellis to be quite soft. Grippy though, but the back tyre was gone after 8000 miles and my bikes not churning out hundreds of hp either.

I have covered 5K on the Pirelli Scorpions but the front just wants to tuck, its also started to developed a flat spot in the middle of the tyre, the rear is fine. I think I have lost confidence with them because I lost the front 3 times in Scotland due to diesel on the roads. I had Metzelers on the BW and they were great. I think I will go back to Metzelers when these are done. 

• Like 1