What did you do to your bike today?

Stu

Yesterday was an almost balmy 8c so, I uncovered the bike for, I think, the first time since the start of November. Turned it around and started it up. No problem at all... no “laziness” from the lithium battery despite standing, outside, for 2 months. Really pleased about that as there have been a lot of complaints... admittedly from owners with extras that are a constant drain. Or have done something stupid like used a charger without bothering to read the owners manual... or ignored the warnings therein. (What does Honda know?) anyway an hours ride, 10 minutes to get the battery topped up and everything moving. Dry and sunny, but cold today so I’ll be washing it later and give the chain a light oiling. It’s now overdue the 24month service... so, I’ll have that done next month.

Two good days in a row!!!. Shame cannot go anywhere, have enough shopping in. Will get cold again tonight for my trip to work on the GS125, bugger!!!.

Got the headlamp unit back in the Bandit today and my Aux switches fitted for the DRL and low beam cut off,

390354341_09-pilotandDRLon.JPG.509968e848c97e64fd30f8152e46e4b5.JPG

1178497674_07-switchesfitted.JPG.7858843f688600379e131aa079904fd9.JPG

must update the thread.

Also any one seen this about the new MOT re LED and HID headlamps, glad i have repaired mine

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-motorcycles/4-lamps-reflectors-and-electrical-equipment

• Like 2

1 hour ago, linuxrob said:

Two good days in a row!!!. Shame cannot go anywhere, have enough shopping in. Will get cold again tonight for my trip to work on the GS125, bugger!!!.

Got the headlamp unit back in the Bandit today and my Aux switches fitted for the DRL and low beam cut off,

390354341_09-pilotandDRLon.JPG.509968e848c97e64fd30f8152e46e4b5.JPG

1178497674_07-switchesfitted.JPG.7858843f688600379e131aa079904fd9.JPG

must update the thread.

Also any one seen this about the new MOT re LED and HID headlamps, glad i have repaired mine

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-motorcycles/4-lamps-reflectors-and-electrical-equipment

Are you talking about this bit? 

Some motorcycles may be fitted with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) headlamps. Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID or LED bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.

If so thats been in there a while 

Been commuting daily, been interesting with the snow and ice this past couple of weeks. Been a good experience overall, with care I've learned a lot about grip and handling in such conditions.

This weekend's task will be washing the salt/s**t off the bike (again) and applying some more aviation-themed stickers to customise it a bit further...

• Like 1

@125cc I used to commute in the snow and ice on my 125 too. I would see drivers coming the other way staring at me wide eyed and shaking their heads :lol:

As mine was a cruiser it actually felt very safe on dodgy bits as it was easy to put both feet down and "paddle" it when needed

Haha yes I had a few disbelieving stares this past fortnight also. More the fool them however, whilst skiteing about in their mahoosive SUV poseurmobiles/Audis on our single-track road in/out of our village I was safe and sound on my 125 with its skinny little bicycle tires; nice low seat so I could put my feet down if required also!

Air-cooled, next to no warm-up, no scraping waiting to clear windows, nice and warm and dry in my thermals.

• Like 1

I saw on the news this morning about there being frost and possible black ice out and about. Thankfully nothing of the sort  for me, mostly dry roads other than the odd damp patch which I still took care on when cornering. All new to me this game.

Fish

23 minutes ago, Fish said:

I saw on the news this morning about there being frost and possible black ice out and about. Thankfully nothing of the sort  for me, mostly dry roads other than the odd damp patch which I still took care on when cornering. All new to me this game.

Fish

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/coast-road-crash-north-shields-19630536

Was bad up here.

Today I got off and pushed my bike to the side of the road after holding up all the traffic at the lights until they turned red again 🤦‍♀️

It was great, I’d only just gently limped my burning smelling Bandit back home and hopped on the Himalayan to do an emergency file return and due to the adrenaline going didn’t really make the adjustment for the bike I was on.... so I stalled it and no matter what I did the swine wouldn’t restart. 

I got off and pushed it out of the way, thank goodness it was relatively flat tarmac because I had enough layers to spend a fortnight in the artic 😂

It felt like the immobiliser was to blame because there was just nothing happening. I went through every variation on a theme I could think of and after repeating them a few times thought oh balls it’s too far to push it to the mechanics I’m going to have to leave it here go back, get a van, do the file delivery (which was now going to be much later than ideal) come back later in the dark and load it up ☹️

I’m not certain what happened but I think enough time had elapsed for the alarm to reset itself because one last try and the fob disabled the alarm (previously no indication that was happening) and boom it fired into life. I’ve always hated that alarm and I think it knows it!

An engine firing into life after previously giving you nothing is possibly one of the most joyous sounds on the planet, there should be a special word for it, a fanfare, a dance. I felt like doing one! 

• Like 4

On 12/01/2021 at 08:30, Gerontious said:

Yesterday was an almost balmy 8c so, I uncovered the bike for, I think, the first time since the start of November. Turned it around and started it up. No problem at all... no “laziness” from the lithium battery despite standing, outside, for 2 months. Really pleased about that as there have been a lot of complaints... admittedly from owners with extras that are a constant drain. Or have done something stupid like used a charger without bothering to read the owners manual... or ignored the warnings therein. (What does Honda know?) anyway an hours ride, 10 minutes to get the battery topped up and everything moving. Dry and sunny, but cold today so I’ll be washing it later and give the chain a light oiling. It’s now overdue the 24month service... so, I’ll have that done next month.

keep your hands warm if they go cold your reflexes really start slowing down 

9 minutes ago, skyrider said:

keep your hands warm if they go cold your reflexes really start slowing down 

I have plastic surgery on my right hand and so am very susceptible to the cold. long before it might affect my reflexes I'm in a lot of pain. so, heated grips. wind guards and 'heated grip friendly' winter gloves are a must for me from late October to May.

Something I have to live with.

Gave it a much needed wash after last weeks weather, also adjusted the chain. It looks like once you start adjusting an MT125 chain, you're forever doing it until it's replaced. Only got 3550 miles on it, should they start stretching this soon?

Fish

2 hours ago, Gerontious said:

I have plastic surgery on my right hand and so am very susceptible to the cold. long before it might affect my reflexes I'm in a lot of pain. so, heated grips. wind guards and 'heated grip friendly' winter gloves are a must for me from late October to May.

Something I have to live with.

Plastic surgery on a hand is unusual, burn?

Heated grip friendly winter glove, I’m assuming they’re thin palmed? Interested to have a look if you have a brand or link?

24 minutes ago, Fish said:

Gave it a much needed wash after last weeks weather, also adjusted the chain. It looks like once you start adjusting an MT125 chain, you're forever doing it until it's replaced. Only got 3550 miles on it, should they start stretching this soon?

Fish

When they cost roughly

£ 36.08 for a did chain and sprocket i can't see them being designed to last eons

• Haha 1

On 15/01/2021 at 20:14, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Today I got off and pushed my bike to the side of the road after holding up all the traffic at the lights until they turned red again 🤦‍♀️

It was great, I’d only just gently limped my burning smelling Bandit back home and hopped on the Himalayan to do an emergency file return and due to the adrenaline going didn’t really make the adjustment for the bike I was on.... so I stalled it and no matter what I did the swine wouldn’t restart. 

I got off and pushed it out of the way, thank goodness it was relatively flat tarmac because I had enough layers to spend a fortnight in the artic 😂

It felt like the immobiliser was to blame because there was just nothing happening. I went through every variation on a theme I could think of and after repeating them a few times thought oh balls it’s too far to push it to the mechanics I’m going to have to leave it here go back, get a van, do the file delivery (which was now going to be much later than ideal) come back later in the dark and load it up ☹️

I’m not certain what happened but I think enough time had elapsed for the alarm to reset itself because one last try and the fob disabled the alarm (previously no indication that was happening) and boom it fired into life. I’ve always hated that alarm and I think it knows it!

An engine firing into life after previously giving you nothing is possibly one of the most joyous sounds on the planet, there should be a special word for it, a fanfare, a dance. I felt like doing one! 

is it an aftermarket alarm ? get rid if it is more trouble than they are worth.

you sure it wasn't just a panick moment cause you was holding up traffic and it was in gear or something ?

23 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Plastic surgery on a hand is unusual, burn?

Heated grip friendly winter glove, I’m assuming they’re thin palmed? Interested to have a look if you have a brand or link?

No. Not a burn.

My gloves aren’t made anymore. But there are plenty out there that have the same basic design with two cavities. Do a search. Two/duo cavity gloves and variations of that and they pop up like spots on a teenager.

• Thanks 1

Made a start on fitting the tail tidy. Due to me being a Muppet and ordering the version without a clear lower section to illuminate the number plate I'm waiting for a new lens before I can complete the job.

Also, being a man I hadn't read the instructions of course. So the bit where you have to take Dremel and cut off the horrible plastic bit that holds the original number plate light was a joy. Best bit of job was seeing that monstrosity chopped off.

IMG_20210118_115109379.jpg

IMG_20210118_115120389.jpg

• Like 1

Rode it to the bank, managing to dodge the rain. Banks are one of the few places till open here!

Gave it a very good hose down and Muc Off, as there is still signs of grit on the roads, even after 2 days rain.

On 17/01/2021 at 15:30, Six30 said:

is it an aftermarket alarm ? get rid if it is more trouble than they are worth.

you sure it wasn't just a panick moment cause you was holding up traffic and it was in gear or something ?

Yep I’m sure. I’m not a panicky person by any stretch of the imagination. Yes its an aftermarket Datatool alarm that the previous owner had fitted. Will definitely remove it but not til the insurance is up cos I don’t want to invalidate my insurance or pay them for the privilege of altering my policy, you know what they’re like. 

• Like 2