What did you do to your bike today?

Stu

lol ....... climbed over it to get to the back of the garage ........ and then back over it to get out. Really need to get rid of some crap so I can walk around the bike instead of over :) 

16 hours ago, skyrider said:

it makes it hard work getting the chain off you need a chain splitter i would sooner have a split link much easier, once the chain is off i dip it in linklife and the hot grease gets inside the chain, the only problem now though is getting linklife i dont know if you can get it on fleabay or not :classic_unsure:

What are you on about ???

You can get split link o Ring chains

And as there is no chain in the picture 

GW:

O Ring is the construction type

Split link is the way the chain joins together ( a link that you can easily disconnect ) and is held together by a metal clip that wishes to visit every inaccessible area of your work space at high speed and is a master at throwing it's distinct landing call to another section of workspace to aid confusion 

Screenshot_20210126-141912.png

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TimR said:

What are you on about ???

You can get split link o Ring chains

And as there is no chain in the picture 

GW:

O Ring is the construction type

Split link is the way the chain joins together ( a link that you can easily disconnect ) and is held together by a metal clip that wishes to visit every inaccessible area of your work space at high speed and is a master at throwing it's distinct landing call to another section of workspace to aid confusion 

Screenshot_20210126-141912.png

but you cant put an O ring chain in linklife 

16 minutes ago, skyrider said:

but you cant put an O ring chain in linklife 

Which may have been the  point of your post but you failed to mention it and looked like you were suggesting that Oring chains can't be split linked and require chain splitters/rivetter...

In actual fact I have always wondered about the advise you "can`t" put an O`ring chain in Linklife as the temps required to make Linklife work are admittedly high have you felt the temp of a chain after a high speed run?

It wouldn`t surprise me if it would be acceptable not that I want to risk £100 odds worth of chain to find out lol.

Cheers

Ian

1 hour ago, Ian Frog said:

In actual fact I have always wondered about the advise you "can`t" put an O`ring chain in Linklife as the temps required to make Linklife work are admittedly high have you felt the temp of a chain after a high speed run?

It wouldn`t surprise me if it would be acceptable not that I want to risk £100 odds worth of chain to find out lol.

Cheers

Ian

no it aint worth the risk

Due to alarm light on display went to Ducati Worcester to get it sorted. All credit to them as they managed to reassure me the lamp was nothing significant but they couldn't clear it as their diagnostic system went down and wouldn’t be up for at least 6 hours. They did offer me a courtesy bike but I'm not available tomorrow to return it. So my bike is back home and will be returned to their care next week hopefully for final fix.

On 26/01/2021 at 16:21, Ian Frog said:

Cheers

Ian

If Linklyfe or its modern equivalents were suitable for O ring chains do you not think it would be in their best interests, to boost sales, to mention that on the can?

1 minute ago, Gerontious said:

If Linklyfe or its modern equivalents were suitable for O ring chains do you not think it would be in their best interests, to boost sales, to mention that on the can?

You are quite probably right and I was just speculating.

Mind you if it was one of those grey areas where it was fine if you were careful I would bet they would say don`t do it as that`s a lot easier than dealing with complaints from idiots incapable of following instructions lol.

Cheers

Ian

14 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I received the replacement connector, soldered it up and fitted the tail tidy. I am very pleased with the result. 

TT7.jpg

You got a side view?

54 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I received the replacement connector, soldered it up and fitted the tail tidy. I am very pleased with the result. 

TT7.jpg

What kind of soap did you use on your plate? 😂😂😂

• Haha 2

So, while I have the forks out I will give the front calipers their start of year scrub out.

As you all may already know the 6 pot Tokico calipers have a fairly bad reputation for binding. In the 17 years and over 60000 miles so far I have no problems with the front brakes on the Bandit. I do clean these calipers ever 1000 miles, change the fluid every 2 years and replace the pads before they get to 2/3 worn. These measured are probably over the top but with tyres and suspension you cannot be careful.

Disc brakes, single dual or x no of pistons rely on the main fluid seal pulling the piston back by returning to it's original shape after deformation caused by the brake pressure pushing the piston out. The dust seal after this main seal is prone to gumming up, with dust amongst other things. Some folk run without dust seals altogether but as tempting as it looks I will err on the safe side and keep them as clean and UN-gummed as possible

As usual have took a load of pics of MY method of cleaning them up.

Basically a wash in hot degreaser with a toothbrush and pumping the piston in and out till my finger hurt.

I finish of testing each pair of pistons to see if they go back enough to release a bit of wood.

A very very same amount of Red Rubber Grease is placed onto each piston before it final retraction and excess removed before rebuild and refitting.

here are the pics.

If any one is stuck for 2 mins with nothing to do please view the little video i made

1690229015_01-LHFCaliperasremovedlascleaned1000milesago.JPG.c11b78405c3300ca9fdeebc801edd5b2.JPG1659729170_02-LHFCaliperundersideasremovedlascleaned1000milesago.JPG.54f38777a2353e32e95a0df856cf5f4e.JPG581145392_03-LHFCaliperpadsremoved.JPG.167303a0e75397daefd9ac91400a6c4f.JPG763805559_04a-LHFCaliperpistonspushedbackcloseup.JPG.cc76c6ac416a413898c9318553d744a4.JPG665845267_04-LHFCaliperpistonspushedback.JPG.504f3476fed1ff91af23eb5cb4a58560.JPG1197880863_05-LHFCaliperwash.JPG.6079fada027b4008b461766e7585f4e3.JPG203303540_06-LHFCaliperafterwashcloseup.JPG.67286566f4877cd2c510fe2061d7fafa.JPG625873176_07-LHFCaliperafterwashcloseup.JPG.c281f8a3a23da698e3b3e9d705e9e519.JPG845045004_08-LHFCaliperafterwashcloseup.JPG.79b113a50357ffc2f22820f94afd896a.JPG1147254044_09-onlyonepistonpumpedout.JPG.aff7b497124cf00804492fded887d26a.JPG969774661_10-pistoncleanedandpolished.JPG.26477d6f6690794fb1ac009e7f542820.JPG

• Like 3

Passed M.O.T. this morning with no advisories 😁

@linuxrob - you're calipers look better than mine before you cleaned them, and I spent hours cleaning mine! Impressive.

Edited by Shepherd
  • Like 1

I rode it! A hospital appointment coincided with a sunny, calm, mild day in January - who'd have thought it possible?? So, on the bike. Felt wonderful to be out on two wheels again 😍. 60 miles round trip. The roads were fairly empty, good and dry in most parts, slidey and muddy in some parts, gravelly in a few parts, badly flooded here and there. Cracking ride.

20210129_150824.jpg.77818e4f00f540f754c0b4f2178a89a5.jpg

The after-effects

20210129_152238.jpg.637153a71252075a7b83c945debf2802.jpg

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, onesea said:

I assume the next 2 days post will be cleaning bike and polishing bike...

The DRZ is used to mud. It'll get a wash in April. It's the other one that has a delicate Italian soul.