What did you do to your bike today?

Stu

Hi @Mississippi Bullfrog just a thought that you might like to get the nozzle as close as possible to the area you want the lube to hit.

I ended up with only a few mm clearance as the spatter from my old Scotoiler was surprising and my worries about damage to the plastic nozzle were baseless as it seemed fine after a couple of years use.

Neat unit though and I must admit I prefer it to the Scot.

Cheers

Ian

@linuxrob Over this winter the 125 has not cranked as fast as it used to. The battery is over 8 years old now but still looks good on the opitimiser.

Ive had this same thing happen. Battery optimisers are not magical. They can give a false 'good' result. No batteryb is going to last 8 years and still have full capacity. It may seem good, give a green light on the optimiser but it will very likely have lost its 'power' - im no electrician.

Time to retire the old battery and get a new one.  £25.

3 minutes ago, Ian Frog said:

Hi @Mississippi Bullfrog just a thought that you might like to get the nozzle as close as possible to the area you want the lube to hit.

I ended up with only a few mm clearance as the spatter from my old Scotoiler was surprising and my worries about damage to the plastic nozzle were baseless as it seemed fine after a couple of years use.

Cheers

Ian

Maybe it looks like that as the chain isnt under tension.

3 minutes ago, Ian Frog said:

Cheers

Ian

I will adjust it once I sort out the oil flow, but it's easier to see the drip rate with the nozzle a bit higher when setting it up. I made sure I swapped the screw holding the arm to the outside of the unit, otherwise adjusting it would be a pain.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

Maybe it looks like that as the chain isnt under tension.

You're right. When the wheel is rotated to tension the chain the gap is less - still need to adjust it once I get the flow rate right. It was whilst I was priming it which took a few turns of the device to get the oil flowing.

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

You're right. When the wheel is rotated to tension the chain the gap is less - still need to adjust it once I get the flow rate right. It was whilst I was priming it which took a few turns of the device to get the oil flowing.

Scott Oiler instructions say to mount the nozzle touching the rear sprocket so the oil is pushed onto the chain with centrifugal/ centripetal force. Having the nozzle above the chain can let the wind blow the oil drops away from the chain.

9 hours ago, gymwitch said:

Husband fixed the gate and sprayed Betty with dust and shite in the process THENNNN left her out in the rain !!! Fookin furious 😡

Sent him the pic and said thats a twats trick with numerous middle finger emojis....he text back ....dont be putting that dirty bike in my clean shed 😡 what a cock 😒

20210215_145440.jpg

it just looks like you have been riding it on southport beach 😐

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, JRH said:

Scott Oiler instructions say to mount the nozzle touching the rear sprocket so the oil is pushed onto the chain with centrifugal/ centripetal force. Having the nozzle above the chain can let the wind blow the oil drops away from the chain.

This isn't a Scottoiler and the set up is designed to sit just above the chain. Once the flow is primed I'll drop the tube to be a couple of mm above the chain. I had a Scottoiler on a previous bike and never got on with it. It either didn't provide enough oil or covered it so much that it went everywhere, and putting it onto the sprocket meant one side of the chain was too dry. I know some people get on with them, I didn't

The advantage of this system is it's more controllable so I'll activate it when I'm not belting along at high speeds. I've set it to drip onto the middle of the chain which hopefully with lubricate both sides equally and also ensure oil is distributed via the rear sprocket across the entire length.  No doubt some fettling will be needed.

34 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

This isn't a Scottoiler and the set up is designed to sit just above the chain. Once the flow is primed I'll drop the tube to be a couple of mm above the chain. I had a Scottoiler on a previous bike and never got on with it. It either didn't provide enough oil or covered it so much that it went everywhere, and putting it onto the sprocket meant one side of the chain was too dry. I know some people get on with them, I didn't

The advantage of this system is it's more controllable so I'll activate it when I'm not belting along at high speeds. I've set it to drip onto the middle of the chain which hopefully with lubricate both sides equally and also ensure oil is distributed via the rear sprocket across the entire length.  No doubt some fettling will be needed.

Silly question perhaps...

Do you have it mounted to drip on the top run or bottom run of the chain?

3 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Interesting.  I thought it was meant to go on the sprocket! And I have surface rust on the outside chain plates.

9 hours ago, Gerontious said:

@linuxrob Over this winter the 125 has not cranked as fast as it used to. The battery is over 8 years old now but still looks good on the opitimiser.

Ive had this same thing happen. Battery optimisers are not magical. They can give a false 'good' result. No batteryb is going to last 8 years and still have full capacity. It may seem good, give a green light on the optimiser but it will very likely have lost its 'power' - im no electrician.

Time to retire the old battery and get a new one.  £25.

True there will be a reduction in capacity over the years. With the battery back on and a few days into the week considering the increase in outside temp the bike cranks better and spins fast for longer than before. I spin it over a few seconds before applying the choke to get some oil round, It was getting to the stage where i was using hoke from the start as I may not have been able to spin long enough to fire.

Overall happy with the result and can continue to use this battery. The next really cold snap will tell mine.

7 hours ago, Breezin said:

Interesting.  I thought it was meant to go on the sprocket! And I have surface rust on the outside chain plates.

That's what I found. To be fair oilers aren't a total solution to chain lubrication. I think you still need to clean and lube them by hand. From experience by hand is better anyway.

I'm only trying this on the Honda because it's a working bike in a rural location and the chain takes a hammering. I usually have to lube the chain a few times a week during bad weather. I'm hoping this will reduce the need to do it by hand so often.

I'm not fitting one on the Bobber. I ride that in better weather only so doing the chain by hand is fine.

• Like 1

I trusted the weather forecast and took the bike to work this morning, it said I’d have rain in my local area (I live on top of a hill) but be dry once I dropped down towards Newcastle, not a chance! Rain all the way haha 

Fitted a Sat Nav bracket/Garmin mount and wired in the Garmin power supply. I had to remove the headlight unit to find the switched ACC2 wires that KTM kindly tuck away behind it. One Garmin between both bikes now. I did buy the My Ride app - its good, but I prefer a dedicated GPS unit. 

Rode to Cheltenham again for getting my ears de-waxed and the moulds made for the fancy hearing protectors. Now have to wait for them to arrive. Today was a good ride though as the weather was positively spring like. For an hour or two I could pretend lockdown was just an unpleasant dream.

Not specifically to the bike but I have made some extension leads for the battery charger, meaning now I can charge the batteries anytime in any weather.

Before I could only do it in fine weather as  I had to run a mains extension outside for the charger, and as the charger only came with one set of flyleads to attach to the battery, it was a pain having to take off one of the batteries to charge.

So now I have a new sets of flyleads and extension leads using banana plugs and sockets.

I made a short pair of extension leads that can also be used as a pair of jump leads using some crocodile clips that accomodate the banana

plugs.

Original flylead.

P1020927.JPG.2c3e82ba3283533a5fcd475bcb9bab64.JPG

New flyleads.

P1020929.JPG.2890e8764965d9275feeeaa0a15af614.JPG

Original flylead modified with Banana plug sockets.

P1020931.JPG.8bcb5f8f3866cdc69b2ad451624f7ad6.JPG

Short extension with crocodile clips.

P1020932.JPG.9d654c2880db4b6d7f1b53bd9985ebed.JPG

Longer extension lead.

P1020936.JPG.dbe1c7301099d8aa4a1df7ce447208ab.JPG

Connected together with a short socket extension going through the letter box for convenience.

P1020937.JPG.bc508348c48084ac1aef275ea457238d.JPG

All connected plugged in and working.

P1020939.JPG.c8771e348bab6784e0b709c38090a550.JPG

Edited by dynax
  • Like 3

Rode mine for what feels like the first time in ages !

Countryside gentle bimble of about 35 miles no stops so we were socially distanced lol.

Good to see a few people out in particular around Oundle mill and the A43 near Corby.

Cheers

Ian