What did you do to your bike today?

Stu

I like West Bay! Used to go there years ago when I lived in Lyme. That was before people from up country had heard of Dorset....

10 minutes ago, bonio said:

I like West Bay! Used to go there years ago when I lived in Lyme. That was before people from up country had heard of Dorset....

West Bay is a cracker however often over busy with bikes and tourists for my taste...  Fingers crossed tomorrow the world will still be visiting newly opened shops not the seaside!

• Like 1

As the sun was shining took it out for a run. Ended up at a canal side tea shop in Thrupp Oxfordshire, where bacon sandwiches and coffee was consumed.

• Like 4

As it was my last ride before I return to sea I rode the scenic route from Morpeth to Barnard Castle- Belsay, Chollerford, Hexham, Blanchland, Stanhope, Middleton in Teesdale, Barnard Castle. The ride over the moors was great, clear blue skies and dry roads.

Sadly when I got to Barney I then had to thoroughly wash the thing as it was filthy as well as salty and clean / lube the chain before tucking it up for the next 4 months or so. Boo.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

This arrived.....

New bash plate for the Bobber. £23 from AliExpress. I'll admit I was a bit hesitant but it's well made and they even included two small self-adhesive strips to hold the plate with the captive nuts in place.

Delivery takes a bit longer but they sent updates at every stage.

IMG_20210416_190804732.jpg

Edited by Mississippi Bullfrog
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Before and after. I also shortened the gear linkage on the Bobber as my new boots are thicker.

IMG_20210417_143350910.jpg

IMG_20210417_144104230.jpg

Looks very good . Proves a point that I've often made that Chinese stuff is  much better than expected . I still can't believe I got two full carb rebuild kits including floats and diaphragms for £8.00 ! 

Edited by fastbob

Started swapping bits from the blue MZ to the black Mz. The plan is to assemble one complete bike from all the best parts and restore that. All the other bits will be re-assembled and the bike sold sans engine. That will pay a little towards the oily rag restoration.

First service for the MV. Big day - like watching your kid graduate from High School.

Then first bath too, as the roads were wet and fully of shite and salt.

20210415_190941.jpg

• Like 3

What would anyone do to their bike on a beautiful day like today ? Ride it of course ! I put in 80 miles all around Warwickshire this afternoon . Perfect weather , Spring blossom everywhere , greenery sprouting from every hedgerow . Marvelous ! Pictures ? Nah , I just couldn't bring myself to stop the bike . 

• Like 2

Rode my bike for the 2nd time in a year and a half! 

Officially diagnosed with Miniere's Disease has made it a challenge for sure but felt fine and I took my time (ish)

Just need to be careful swinging my head around and no snodding a fellow bikers🤣

VFR seems a nice bike, still don't get vtec? its like an on/off switch and snatchy especially on corners but maybe that's just me.

I do miss my GSA though.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bender said:

@goatgood to see you out, was just wondering how things were going with the vertigo.

Truthfully its been utter shite! Holding a cup of tea can set it off but not having caffeine has worked wonders in the last 4 weeks or so. Also reducing my salt intake which retains water helps.

So heading in the right direction and I hope it continues 🙂

Edited by The GOAT
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Truthfully its been utter shite! Holding a cup of tea can set it off but not having caffeine has worked wonders in the last 4 weeks or so. Also reducing my salt intake which retains water helps.

So heading in the right direction and I hope it continues 🙂

I've a friend who gave up learning to ride after he came down with vertigo, not been a long term diagnosis but his comes and goes and sharp movement of head can set it of.

• Sad 1

Adjusted the clutch . A strange procedure on a Harley Sportster . First you have to jack the bike up on a lift so that it is upright otherwise the Primary Chain Case oil will spill out . Then you take one bolt out of the colossal hunk of iron that is the foot peg hanger so that it pivots downwards . Using  1/2" and  9/16" spanners you slacken off the clutch cable before removing all six bolts that hold the Derby Cover in place . Next you pluck out the spring and Jam Plate so that you can adjust the Pull Rod anticlockwise until resistance is felt before backing it off a quarter turn , or in my case an eighth of a turn because I have a Muller Power Clutch actuator fitted . Replace the jam nut and spring and carefully reposition the Derby Cover . Bolt it all up again and adjust the cable so that there is a " Dime " of free play at the lever . There is quite a bit to be said for hydraulic clutches . 

IMG_20210420_173047173.jpg

• Like 1

I got fed up of the crap chain on the CBF so had a spend on the Wemoto website. Of course being aged 7 (which is the age I identify as) waiting for the parts to arrive first just wasn't going to work.

Lots of sparks from the angle grinder getting the chain off. You can't see them but there are two 7kg calor bottles just behind the bike. But nothing went bang.

IMG_20210421_130933485.jpg

Edited by Mississippi Bullfrog
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I got fed up of the crap chain on the CBF so had a spend on the Wemoto website. Of course being aged 7 (which is the age I identify as) waiting for the parts to arrive first just wasn't going to work.

Lots of sparks from the angle grinder getting the chain off. You can't see them but there are two 7kg calor bottles just behind the bike. But nothing went bang.

IMG_20210421_130933485.jpg

darn sight easier using a chain with a split link

5 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

You can't see them but there are two 7kg calor bottles just behind the bike. But nothing went bang

I would be worried if they did as you would have a gas leak :lol: 

They are made to withstand more than a few sparks 

15 minutes ago, skyrider said:

wonder why not they used them on big bikes like vincent black shadows

I fitted a 630 chain to my old GSX 1100 ET . The chain came supplied with a spring link so I fitted it . ( Correctly ) after about 600 miles I was cleaning the bike and I noticed it wasn't there anymore ! Luckily the side plate was an interference fit so it hadn't come off . More worryingly still , when I removed the sprocket cover I found a shattered piece of the spring link lying among the chain lube . Whatever forces caused this to happen have always remained beyond my imagination or understanding . 

21 minutes ago, fastbob said:

I fitted a 630 chain to my old GSX 1100 ET . The chain came supplied with a spring link so I fitted it . ( Correctly ) after about 600 miles I was cleaning the bike and I noticed it wasn't there anymore ! Luckily the side plate was an interference fit so it hadn't come off . More worryingly still , when I removed the sprocket cover I found a shattered piece of the spring link lying among the chain lube . Whatever forces caused this to happen have always remained beyond my imagination or understanding . 

do you think it could have been a faulty spring Bob

Edited by skyrider