What did you do to your bike today?

Stu

2 hours ago, dynax said:

No spares currently available for Xena, so for the time being I will keep my rides short and only for important duties.

I did however replace the innertubes on my bicycle and washed it in the shower you gotta love having a wet room :lol:

So at least if Xena is out of commission I still have some transport, trust this to happen since selling Bridget :lol:

What exactly is the issue ? 

25 minutes ago, fastbob said:

What exactly is the issue ? 

I will take a photo in bit just having a kebab, but I might have found a fix for it :thumb:

It's this rubber grommet type thing what has split, it fits inside a spring which is behind the impeller.

The fix I have in mind is to use some heat shrink to bond over it, nothing to lose by trying :thumb:

P1020975.thumb.JPG.3605cb23a0dd26c2f1099457443f9095.JPG

• Like 1

Gotta say the gospel pass was lovely and I am sure I could bore you rigid with pics but if you get the chance and haven't been there before please do!! 

Cheers 

Ian

20210608_115909.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ian Frog said:

Gotta say the gospel pass was lovely and I am sure I could bore you rigid with pics but if you get the chance and haven't been there before please do!! 

Cheers 

Ian

20210608_115909.jpg

You will have to do a new thread when you get chance with a bit of a write up :thumb: 

• Like 2

Cheers Stu

I will do something. 

We are moving to an Airbnb in Stratford in the morning. 

As it is on the canal and near pubs I will take more pics and update when we get back if you want? 

Cheers 

Ian

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Ian Frog said:

Cheers Stu

I will do something. 

As it is on the canal and near pubs I will take more pics and update when we get back if you want? 

Cheers 

Ian

Yeah that would be good 

Just a thread with a run down of your trip with any decent roads/routes you went with pics would be great 

It gives people an idea if they are thinking of a trip :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dynax said:

It's this rubber grommet type thing what has split, it fits inside a spring which is behind the impeller.

The fix I have in mind is to use some heat shrink to bond over it, nothing to lose by trying :thumb:

I think I have fixed it, didn't have a big enough diameter heatshrink so an alternative needed to be found, and believe it or not I used the neck of a balloon and the glue from a puncture repair kit. I have it all back together in the casing ready to be fitted back on the bike, I will do that in the morning and get it filled back up with fluids and take it for a test ride :thumb:

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Ian Frog said:

Cheers Stu

I will do something. 

Cheers 

Ian

Not far away is the Cinderella club at Hoar Park - any time from 10:00 ‘til 13:00 Tomorrow you will find an eclectic mix of bikes & bikers.

If you fancy a meet up, I’ll be there.

It is also a tag 👍

Edited by Mickly
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, dynax said:

That's known as a Mechanical Seal . Have you tried Chinese Bike Parts ( Something like that ) it's probably fairly generic .

• Like 2

17 hours ago, dynax said:

No spares currently available for Xena, so for the time being I will keep my rides short and only for important duties.

I did however replace the innertubes on my bicycle and washed it in the shower you gotta love having a wet room :lol:

So at least if Xena is out of commission I still have some transport, trust this to happen since selling Bridget :lol:

Thats poo 🙄

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ian Frog said:

Cheers Stu

I will do something. 

Cheers 

Ian

Yes please do a thread for this 🥰

12 hours ago, dynax said:

I think I have fixed it, didn't have a big enough diameter heatshrink so an alternative needed to be found, and believe it or not I used the neck of a balloon and the glue from a puncture repair kit. I have it all back together in the casing ready to be fitted back on the bike, I will do that in the morning and get it filled back up with fluids and take it for a test ride :thumb:

Good luck 🤞

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, fastbob said:

That's known as a Mechanical Seal . Have you tried Chinese Bike Parts ( Something like that ) it's probably fairly generic .

Yeah I found out it's name from some searching, unfortunately they are out of stock it is a generic part and fits some current Lexmoto models, just none available.

I will phone them tomorrow and find the general specs and then see if I can get an equivalent part from some where else, there can't be that many variations so logically I should be able to find one :thumb:

15 minutes ago, Bender said:

What does this little thing do or not do now 

It's part of the water pump it fits behind the impeller, I assume it's to prevent the coolant going into the engine block, but when it starts to fail there is a weep hole which allows fluid to vent to the outside as an indicator that something is amiss, like with mine which was split.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dynax said:

It's part of the water pump it fits behind the impeller, I assume it's to prevent the coolant going into the engine block, but when it starts to fail there is a weep hole which allows fluid to vent to the outside as an indicator that something is amiss, like with mine which was split.

Ahh gotcha now. 

Just been looking on ebay and there are quite a few and all i need to replace is the spring part, watched a video and the guy kept his original metal piece and just replaced the spring and the bit in the impeller, so might take a punt on a couple of the ebay ones tomorrow and see if any will fit :thumb:

18 minutes ago, dynax said:

it prevents both 

Oil mixing with water and water mixing with oil :thumb: 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dynax said:

Just been looking on ebay and there are quite a few and all i need to replace is the spring part, watched a video and the guy kept his original metal piece and just replaced the spring and the bit in the impeller, so might take a punt on a couple of the ebay ones tomorrow and see if any will fit :thumb:

https://www.racing-planet.co.uk/water-repair-minarelli-generic-keeway-motobi-1e40ma-1e40mb-p-177257-1.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=google_merchant&utm_campaign=google_products&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzYGGBhCTARIsAHdMTQz-DmKw8EbSaxvVsKCyG2DJCwsE227du4M6lGzd1a3e5A32SQA7_zsaAsd0EALw_wcB#.YMEfObfTUvo

Is that one on the card ? 

5 minutes ago, Bender said:

That's a full repair kit I just need the springy rubber bit, going to try a local bike shop first tomorrow as they might have one, they do a lot of oddball items.

I also have another problem now, on the oil filter cover one of the bolt holes has stripped the threads and can't get it tight enough to seal properly.

I was thinking about using an epoxy resin and bonding in some studs and use dome nuts instead of bolts, good or bad idea otherwise it would mean retapping and run the risk of breakout.

17 minutes ago, dynax said:

That's a full repair kit I just need the springy rubber bit, going to try a local bike shop first tomorrow as they might have one, they do a lot of oddball items.

It's 8quid 😂 

Think I would be tapping out next size up, proper thread lock and setting studs in 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bender said:

It's 8quid 😂 

Think I would be tapping out next size up, proper thread lock and setting studs in 

The one that's stripped there is an alignment tube which would make tapping out a bit more difficult, hence my reason just to go with bonding in a stud.