Through the Past Darkly

I think the only old motor I would have is probably a series 2a Land Rover lightweight!!

I regret selling my dads :cry:

PS our small lock up in the background :lol:

2012-12-18 14.26.46.jpg

See my perfect car if we are going down them roads is an early 70s reliant scimitar gte se5a for some reason I just love em :thumb:

Thoughts?

Princess Anne had one of those .

Actually I think she had about 3 of them over the years.

Best way to piss off a Scimitar owner is when in a Robin or Regal 3 wheeler and you see one flash and wave like mad.

They used to hate being reminded that the same people made the bodies.

Cheers

Ian

i used to have a 1975 series 3

Had one of them, swb 2 1/4 diesel was slower than a brick with the same suspension as a brick, had Salisbury axles and uprated springs, may as well have just had 4rsj's fitted, replaced it with a 90, that was over 30yr ago, still have the 90.

i used to have a 1975 series 3

Had one of them, swb 2 1/4 diesel was slower than a brick with the same suspension as a brick, had Salisbury axles and uprated springs, may as well have just had 4rsj's fitted, replaced it with a 90, that was over 30yr ago, still have the 90.

yea and mine was a petrol and i had it for seven years

See my perfect car if we are going down them roads is an early 70s reliant scimitar gte se5a for some reason I just love em :thumb:

Thoughts?

[mention]Stu[/mention] - that's the last straw, ban this philistine immediately.

Everybody knows the only Scimitar GTE to have is the SE5. Unfortunately I can't be arsed to fire up the computer to dredge out pictures of the one I had but luckily some chump took a picture of it for me and put it on the internet...

20200505_221204.thumb.jpg.dd7d93884147023b206f80929948c612.jpg

Thoughts?

@Stu - that's the last straw, ban this philistine immediately.

Everybody knows the only Scimitar GTE to have is the SE5. Unfortunately I can't be arsed to fire up the computer to dredge out pictures of the one I had but luckily some chump took a picture of it for me and put it on the internet...

20200505_221204.jpg

No I'd be a philistine if I liked the se6a of the late 70s early 80s....but they are horrible

Thoughts?

@Stu - that's the last straw, ban this philistine immediately.

20200505_221204.jpg

Must have taken that before it caught fire, they were prone to lots of niggles and had a bad reputation a lot of which was probably not deserved, it is however reflected in the price of them now, I drove one once I didn't like it and that was the end of that.

Wonder what they copied

_20200505_222738.thumb.JPG.e389a23ba14946e840f662382c9ad76a.JPG

I had one of these in 1971!

dagiphy.gif

I had a bike licence......but hadn't passed the car one at that time. So I could drive that.

Got my car one in Nov 71 so the Reliant was history.

I thought this thread was going to be about how bad headlights used to be! :lol:

They were terrible! car and bike!

I still hanker after some "classics" I know they're bad but I still want them! :?

I want a water cooled 3 cylinder 2 stroke, a 6 cylinder 4 stroke bike

and either a Rover SDI V8 or a V6 granada :thumb:

I thought this thread was going to be about how bad headlights used to be! :lol:

I still hanker after some "classics" I know they're bad but I still want them! :?

Interesting shopping list there.

The Granada has got to be the better car, despite people loving the Rover V8 motor the car was shockingly badly built lol.

On the bikes it seems strange to imagine you would have a broader choice of 6 cylinder bikes than water cooled triple 2strokes (I can only think of one off the top of my head am I wrong?).

I would love another classic bevel drive Ducati but I am fully aware of the shortcomings and believe I would be better off with one of those newer ones with the bodywork done to look like an early SS .

Cheers

Ian

On the bikes it seems strange to imagine you would have a broader choice of 6 cylinder bikes than water cooled triple 2strokes (I can only think of one off the top of my head am I wrong?).

Yes you are.....CBX, Z1300, Benelli Sei.

Kxak Z1300! but I think he meant the 2 strokes GT750 or maybe Kwak KH but they might be air cooled?

Kxak Z1300! but I think he meant the 2 strokes GT750 or maybe Kwak KH but they might be air cooled?

Kwak triples all aircooled......only watercooled was the GT750.......and going back 100 years Scott launched one.

Yes you are.....CBX, Z1300, Benelli Sei.

Hi [mention]XTreme[/mention] That makes me right !

If you read what I wrote I said more sixes than 2stroke triples Iwas just wondering if the GT750 was the only 2stroke 3 with a water jacket?

Cheers

Ian

Agreed all the smaller GT`s were a/c the H1/2 etc and all the KH series also.

Cheers

Ian