Anything I haven’t thought about?

Husci

Hi

So I passed my full licence A few years ago now. Due to family commitments etc I still have not got a bike. Anyway I’m going to get one soon and just wondered what people’s thought are on my planning: (sorry hope this isn’t too long)

So I’m going going to buy a 125 probably a bullit bulroc. As there quiet cheap and new.

The other reasons are because I need something small and lighter to get round my garden. (This is where it will be stored) I’m going to build a small solid unit for security. I will also chain it up in there as extra security. (I’m a joiner)

Another reason for this type bike Is so I can familiarise myself with something more simple. And learn to take care of something cheap incase I f**k anything up.

It’s purely for pleasure I’m assuming When left over long periods I will be able to take the battery off and buy some kind of of charge so I can keep it fresh in the house?

Please let me know if there is anything else I should be thinking of?

I bought new and Chinese. It was basically a good bike with only a little bit of finishing being evidently cheap (oil filler cap made of butter and headstock bearing going after 5k. If I had not passed my test it would have done fine for another few years.

All of that said I lost 1500 pounds on it over 18 months because they don’t hold value.

Buy second hand Japanese.

If you plan on running it into the ground and not selling it on, Chinese bikes aren't as bad as they're made out to be for the price. Just be prepared to do any maintenance and repairs yourself as a lot of garages won't touch Chinese bikes.

But like others have said, second hand Jap bike, Honda do plenty of bomb proof stuff.

Hello and welcome . My advice , buy an ER5 Kawasaki and don't spend more than a Grand on it . These are absolutely brilliant bikes for the money and there are always loads of them for sale . They all have the same set of minor issues but once sorted they will go for ever . One of the most rewarding bikes I have ever owned . Don't be faffing around with Chinese 125 s , where's your dignity man ? 😁👍

WP_20181117_10_34_23_Pro.thumb.jpg.554e5f201160d6f11a5c94d138fb7d60.jpg

Hello and welcome . My advice , buy an ER5 Kawasaki and don't spend more than a Grand on it . These are absolutely brilliant bikes for the money and there are always loads of them for sale . They all have the same set of minor issues but once sorted they will go for ever . One of the most rewarding bikes I have ever owned . Don't be faffing around with Chinese 125 s , where's your dignity man ? 😁👍

Ok thanks for the advice I’ll look for them haha! What minor issues should I be looking for?

Ok thanks for the advice I’ll look for them haha! What minor issues should I be looking for?

They can have leaky float valves and fuel taps that don't shut off resulting in fuel getting into the crankcase . Solved by replacing the rubber fuel lines with PVC and fitting a big fuel filter . The culprit is fine particles of rubber from old fuel lines that don't like modern petrol .

Hi and welcome to the forum

I echo [mention]fastbob[/mention]'s advice sort of!

He is advising a larger bike rather than the 125 and I am the same

I would skip the 125 as the majority of people get bored of them quickly and want something bigger! just remember no matter how big the bike is you can make it go as fast or as slow as you like

OH and get a jap bike :D

A few years back I had an enforced break from bikes for family reasons. So when I wanted to get going again I bought a 125 to get back into the groove, I very soon realised that if you can ride something a bit bigger then it is a lot safer to do so. You've got better brakes, better tyres, better suspension, and more presence on the road.

A 500 is safer than a 125 and just as easy to move around tight spaces. You can keep up with traffic better and have enough power for when it is needed. A lot of newer bikes aren't built as well as older stuff - corrosion on frames and fittings is a key niggle.

I ended up looking for an old Honda CB500 and ended up with the CBF500 - basically the same bike with a few tweaks. Or as Fastbob suggests - the ER5.

Having been down a similar route I would totally recommend an older Japanese 500 rather than a new Chinese 125.

Another recommendation to buy a 500cc Jap bike. The handlebar width will be similar to the 125cc and the weight not that much more for moving round to the back garden. You will enjoy your biking far more with that extra power, especially when you hit A roads or the motorway.

Thanks for this :thumb:

Ok , sorry for the delay . Here's a few more pictures and an honest description of the bike . Here goes . It's been re painted red but I haven't changed the V5 but I've got a battered blue tank as proof . The mileage on the bike is around 78,000 but the mileage on the replacement engine since a top end rebuild is about 1,000 miles . The old engine is sat next to it in my yard and once again I haven't bothered to get the V5 altered . The front tyre is good but the back is uneavenly worn as mentioned . Fork seals are good , brakes are upgraded to a later model and it has a braided line . The bike has been outdoors over the winter under a cover so the is a little rust and oxidisation in places including the brake disc but that will wear away . All the electricals work fine , battery is good . The fuel cap has part of a snapped key in it but it opens and closes fine . There isn't an inch of this bike that hasn't got signs of use on it but all surfaces have been repainted at least once . Seat is good and I've got a spare with a split in it . Apart from all that it's a perfectly usable mid range motorcycle . At the moment it's refusing to start because I'm trying to sell it but I have every confidence it will be running by Saturday . I think it probably just needs some fresh petrol , it was running ok a few weeks ago . So there it is , I just didn't want you travel all that way only to be disappointed . Cheers .

Polish_20200520_200419184.thumb.jpg.3569d6d0498ad0bdfe007b6ed6bebca8.jpg