Oh Good Lord WHY!!!!!!!

DutchMick

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Today I decided to take the bull by the horns and rape my ZX7R. Got all the crap out the way and grinded my registration plate and back turn signal holder off, raised my plate to just under the back light, looks really good (IMO). Had a new backlight delivered last week, white glass with LEDs and integrated turn signals also new flush mount turn signals for the front end, finally, I'm shot of those tree trunks the indies were stuck on.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg310/Dutchmick/Photo-0054.jpg ( Garden is a feckin state, don't mention it or you'll sound like my wife)

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg310/Dutchmick/Photo-0053.jpg ( top fairing is not completely fitted)

Anyhoooo, everything was rosy until I tried the LEDs, firstly all four do it together and when I turn on the headlight the buggers go out!!!

Why that happens I have no idea, I just fitted the - to the - and the + to the + on the front ones. Backlight just came with 2 yellow wires for the indies, the instructions said to connect them to the + of the original indies, -'s are not connected to anything.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg310/Dutchmick/Photo-0049.jpg

I know its a problem with the -'s just cant work out what.

So if you're one of these modern men/women that knows what the hell I've done wrong.....tell me

Cheers m'dears

Guest nigelf

Dutch,

Sounds like there is a - (negative) missing as you say. The rear light probably has a - to chassis some where probably one of the fixing screws and the frame probably has some paint on ide have a look in that area.

You also didnt mention what you did with the resistors (the big white bit with a wire at each end) you could have connected them wrong.

hope this helps

Elf

Thanks for the answer Nigelf, SEE EDSTER IT IS POSSIBLE!!!! :wink:

I didnt do anything with the restrictors, the instructions said they were only to slow down the flashing, but I think the faster the better lol.

But now you mention it, it could be the negative from the backlight, cos as soon as I turn on the head/backlight the indies go out, maybe that neg becomes a positive at the switch.

Instructions...... and I quote

"Remove old taillight and install new taillight. Yellow wires are used for the turn signal wires. Connect one yellow wire to each positive turn signal wire using provided red conectors or alternately you can use your existing factory turn signal connectors ( use red connectors if using factory connectors). Make sure to test each side prior to final connection making sure you have the correct sides blinking. If you wish to slow down the blinking rate, connect the provided white resistors parallel to the turn signal wires. Example: Connect one side of resistor to the positive (yellow) turn signal wire and the other end to the ground wire using the provided red connectors"

Thats it, nothing about earthing it, I do think the resistors would earth it though, but there again.......I'M ONLY A WELDER!!!!!!!! And now my fingers hurt from all that typing :(

Hi bud okay maybe it isnt a five minute job lol.

Cant uderstand the whole lights going off with the indis, your tail light should illuminate with your headlight on yup, the wires going back on your bike look untouched / nobodys been before you piddling about no?

Got a muliti tester?

Im right in saying each side work fine independently but not together yeah? Two brake / tail connectors and they work fine if only one side plugged in at once but you need both to activate both sides of the led correct?

Hi bud okay maybe it isnt a five minute job lol.

Cant uderstand the whole lights going off with the indis, your tail light should illuminate with your headlight on yup, the wires going back on your bike look untouched / nobodys been before you piddling about no?

Got a muliti tester?

Im right in saying each side work fine independently but not together yeah? Two brake / tail connectors and they work fine if only one side plugged in at once but you need both to activate both sides of the led correct?

The guy before me had an alarm, Red Alert, piece of poo, kept going off for no reason in the mddle of the night, indies flashing and a noise to make you think the devil had come. I ripped the fecker out at 3 in the morning about 18 months ago, although some wiring may still be attached, but never had a problem with the old indies.

Why would I need a multiple choice test?

and you are correct, 1 plugged in, 1 side lights up red, 2 in = both sides

i have one of these back lights on mine and there is only one earth for the back light and indi's (the indi's earth through the rear light wires)

it maybe that your earth in the loom is just about shot and its not good enough for indi's and back light

try adding another earth :?

mine worked fine without the resistor's but but fitted them anyway as they look better flashing at the right rate 8)

hope that helps :?

i have one of these back lights on mine and there is only one earth for the back light and indi's (the indi's earth through the rear light wires)

it maybe that your earth in the loom is just about shot and its not good enough for indi's and back light

try adding another earth :?

mine worked fine without the resistor's but but fitted them anyway as they look better flashing at the right rate 8)

hope that helps :?

ERRRRRRRRR any idea HOW to add another earth?

errrrrrrr

no!!!

:lol: :lol:

try getting a decent bit of wire and shove it into the back of the connector where the earth goes in on the light side then stick it on the frame or something see if the lights work like that

the earth from the light will be good it will be where it connects to the wiring loom or somewhere further down the line thats bad

ps thats if its a bad earth :?

i would pop round and give ya a hand but its a bit of a ride :lol: :lol:

errrrrrrr

no!!!

:lol: :lol:

try getting a decent bit of wire and shove it into the back of the connector where the earth goes in on the light side then stick it on the frame or something see if the lights work like that

the earth from the light will be good it will be where it connects to the wiring loom or somewhere further down the line thats bad

ps thats if its a bad earth :?

i would pop round and give ya a hand but its a bit of a ride :lol: :lol:

Well get effin moving then! :wink:

You simply have no clue how UNtechnical I am, I read the instructions I posted earlier and it might as well have said "banana banana banana on the banana banana banana banana banana to the banana banana unless you're banana banana banana"

You can take an earth from anywhere on the bike loom.

They all go to the same place ie frame.

Link the + wires to the respective + wires that feed them.

For example connect right original indicator to right on new light.

Left to left etc.

Test each one as you connect it. The indicators may flash or not but WILL when they are all connected. They are designed to flash correctly with all four connected.

Rear light is a different circuit so should be treated different.

Connect, side light and brake light to respective originals and earth from whatever is available.

I believe Kawasakis make earths black but dont quote me on that.

Hope some of this helps.

If you want to PM me I will helps as much as I can.

Have just rebuilt my FZR1000 from frame up with zero problems!!

Stu

[attachment=:name]

he doesnt but I do :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Cant bloody remember config on how to latch em on, giz a clue billy

easy one end of the resistor goes to the live feed to the indi's and the other goes to earth :)