North Coast 500

fastbob

Anyone got any UK tours planned in what remains of this Summer ? I'm seriously thinking of doing the NC500 once and for all . I've been visiting the best bits on and off for years but I've never actually done the whole thing . The Harley is all fettled with new tyres and a new clutch and I've ironed out all the little bugs that come with a second hand bike so there are no excuses . Let's just prey that Covid19 is on its way out and there are no further lockdown measures.

Polish_20200616_212113931.thumb.png.125314fd8dad5f81773a5f3514e265cd.png

Having been home since the middle of March it now looks as if I'll be going back to sea in mid July just when things may have a bit more if a semblance of normality. To say I'm pissed off would be an understatement.

I've fancied the NC500 for a while but not going to happen this year. Of course that assumes Miss Fish has unlocked Scotland. I'd not hold my breath for that!

Guy who delivered all my timber was meant to be doing the 500 last month :? Wasn't too happy about not going! It had been planned from last year with him and some friends :roll:

Guy who delivered all my timber was meant to be doing the 500 last month :? Wasn't too happy about not going! It had been planned from last year with him and some friends :roll:

Myself and 7 others had it all booked for the Easter week this year, absolutely gutted that it was all cancelled.

We have now booked it all again for next year, it's been on my to do list for ages so hopefully will get it done in 2021.

It's been a rotten year for cancellations, Had to cancel Le mans, Chimay classic bikes and a couple of Rallies as well.

Le Mans has been re scheduled for October so that might still be a possibility with a bit of luck.

Just a taster . As I say , I've done nearly all of the NC500 at one time or another . I've just missed out the top left hand corner bit .

Polish_20200618_230737682.thumb.jpg.53bbaded2fa690dddf232af1bc0d8c5f.jpg

• Like 3

I would recommend you do the A9 section first and go anti-clockwise. Sango Sands in Durness is an excellent site and stop. I believe that a number of the petrol pumps have card use, so you do not need to worry so much about limited opening hours.

• Like 1

I would recommend you do the A9 section first and go anti-clockwise. Sango Sands in Durness is an excellent site and stop. I believe that a number of the petrol pumps have card use, so you do not need to worry so much about limited opening hours.

Yup I agree 👍

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/12/2020 at 15:52, jedibiker said:

We are planning this for our honeymoon and Im curious how far in advance you need to book B&B's etc.?

It wont be until May 2022 so no big rush but I was thinking its best to book 12 months ish in advance?

cheers

We went in August 2016, with planning starting in the January. By mid- February we found it difficult to find accommodation. Admittedly, August is a bank holiday up there but with the pandemic, as I’ve commented before, I suspect the place will be heaving with bikers and motorists. On that assumption, I would be booking a year in advance. 

• Like 1

On 16/06/2020 at 16:53, Tiggie said:

When the guy turns up standing gormlessly on your drive do you have to shout 'deliver me timberrrs!' at him? 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

We went in August 2016, with planning starting in the January. By mid- February we found it difficult to find accommodation. Admittedly, August is a bank holiday up there but with the pandemic, as I’ve commented before, I suspect the place will be heaving with bikers and motorists. On that assumption, I would be booking a year in advance. 

I agree, its going to get busy. And looking at some locations I wanted to stay at, there isn't a big choice of hotels etc. I've been on booking.com and some places are giving prices (this year) as a guide. As soon as May 2022 dates are on Il get booking.

Ive re-written the route a few times. Good fun I must admit

49 minutes ago, jedibiker said:

I agree, its going to get busy. And looking at some locations I wanted to stay at, there isn't a big choice of hotels etc. I've been on booking.com and some places are giving prices (this year) as a guide. As soon as May 2022 dates are on Il get booking.

Ive re-written the route a few times. Good fun I must admit

This is where Google Street View is your friend . If you choose to free camp you can often scout ahead for suitable locations like I did last year . 

Polish_20200801_214628735.png

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, fastbob said:

This is where Google Street View is your friend . If you choose to free camp you can often scout ahead for suitable locations like I did last year . 

Polish_20200801_214628735.png

It will be our honeymoon so will be doing hotels and BNBs. I do love camping but fancy some comfort. If i was on my own id probably wing it though. But google has been a great tool

3 hours ago, jedibiker said:

It will be our honeymoon so will be doing hotels and BNBs. I do love camping but fancy some comfort. If i was on my own id probably wing it though. But google has been a great tool

I would recommend, if you can book in, the Kylesku hotel. It was first class, and one of the best hotels we’ve stayed at. Excellent food and service, and the view from the restaurant and the room we stayed in were delightful.

On 18/01/2021 at 20:16, Copycat73 said:

you do realise its gonna be busy as fcuk in Scotland this year .. loads not goin over the water stoppin at home .. plenty of threads about it all over the net.com .

oh and PS. put the credit card limit up before you go.. 

Im going 2022 mate.. :)