North Coast 500

fastbob

15 hours ago, jedibiker said:

its the week after the wedding, all I seem to be looking at is a need for money lol.

frankly its cheaper to go to Europe .. there will be much less people .. also when its called 4* in jockland it is NOT but they still charge like it was .. 

7 minutes ago, Copycat73 said:

frankly its cheaper to go to Europe .. there will be much less people .. also when its called 4* in jockland it is NOT but they still charge like it was .. 

You might be right, but its something we want to do. my Mrs is from there and has never seen it by bike. Europe will be another trip.

3 minutes ago, jedibiker said:

Lol no. My family don't like to travel and the cost would be alot more :)

Won't be that much more expensive and you would be getting married in a castle and wear a kilt.. :) 

even have a go at the bagpipes 🤣

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, husoi said:

Won't be that much more expensive and you would be getting married in a castle and wear a kilt.. :) 

even have a go at the bagpipes 🤣

happy to get married closer to home.. I photograph weddings and see how tough it is on family to travel, get hotels etc/ :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, jedibiker said:

All N500 accommodation booked for next may..seems airbnb the most useful

That’s fairly predictable. My good lady was looking at the possibility of a stay at Kylesku (probably her 2nd favourite hotel, and do-able in a day’s riding from the daughter’s house just outside Glasgow). Very few dates left, none of which would work for us.

4 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

That’s fairly predictable. My good lady was looking at the possibility of a stay at Kylesku (probably her 2nd favourite hotel, and do-able in a day’s riding from the daughter’s house just outside Glasgow). Very few dates left, none of which would work for us.

It looks like alot are already booking due to an unpredictable year this is looking..

• Like 1

We’re cycling it in September ... what ever Buffoon  or Wee Jimmy Krankie says .... wild camping and riding at night if necessary....

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, JackieOWheels said:

What would be a good season to do the NC500? Early Autumn? I went camping in the start of August up North and it was still pretty bad for midges.

We usually go the end of April - 1st May Bank Holiday weekend, this year we're heading south too.  

Edit::: did not camp - BnB/Hotel only. 

Edited by Pie man

Believe it or not , October can be pretty good weather wise and if you are into star gazing the skies can be absolutely stunning . 

• Like 5

We’re cycling it in September .. clockwise from Inverness ... Bivi sleeping, feeding via all and any sources ... 8 of us .. I'm the youngest ..60+ ...lol 

The British Olympic Cycling Team must be quaking in fear ....

This is us on the 3rd day of our Coast To Coast ride from Whitehaven to Tynemouth ... 140 miles ... the last 30 downhill ....

P1000403.thumb.jpg.61f829b40f6ad617880e4d051fa38ab2.jpg

Edited by Trooper74
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Trooper74 said:

We’re cycling it in September .. clockwise from Inverness ... Bivi sleeping, feeding via all and any sources ... 8 of us .. I'm the youngest ..60+ ...lol 

This is us on the 3rd day of our Coast To Coast ride from Whitehaven to Tynemouth ... 140 miles ... the last 30 downhill ....

Good luck . I've cycled Fort William to Oban via Skye and  the Outer Hebrides from North Uist to Barra . 50 miles a day is my limit . Any more and it spoils the next day . 

Polish_20200601_202329446.jpg

34 minutes ago, Trooper74 said:

140 MILES!!! I don't even know if I can do 10 on a good day.

1 hour ago, fastbob said:

Good luck . I've cycled Fort William to Oban via Skye and  the Outer Hebrides from North Uist to Barra . 50 miles a day is my limit . Any more and it spoils the next day . 

Polish_20200601_202329446.jpg

This is my favourite cycling in Scotland picture . 

Screenshot_20210426-204420.png

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, JackieOWheels said:

What would be a good season to do the NC500? Early Autumn? I went camping in the start of August up North and it was still pretty bad for midges.

Midge season quick answer – May to September.

It greatly varies on weather pattern so this is not accurate.

The time of the day when they are the most active is early morning and late afternoon.

Have a read here

https://outaboutscotland.com/midges-in-scotland/