The other ER5 restoration .

Today was the day of the engine strip down and it did not go well . Story and pictures tomorrow . Right now I've had enough of ER5's for one day . I think I'll go out to my lockup and talk to the Harley .

Wow Very impressive indeed, looking great. I know that it's a project for your own satisfaction so it's immaterial in most ways, but Do you have any idea how many hours you have put in to this so far?

Wow Very impressive indeed, looking great. I know that it's a project for your own satisfaction so it's immaterial in most ways, but Do you have any idea how many hours you have put in to this so far?

Honestly no idea .

So as I said yesterday . Things are not going so well . I've got two snapped bolts . One in the cylinder head and one in the engine itself that holds the water pump together . And that's not all . The barrels and pistons are scrap . Oh well , it's a winter project and it's not really winter just yet .

And victory is mine ! So let me pass on a piece of sound advice for when a bolt snaps in your engine . Go to bed and sleep on it and you will find the solution in the morning !

Polish_20201011_122911343.thumb.jpg.27ac2724f331a5a7dca7a22a58092641.jpg

I don't think these two bast*rds will be as cooperative .

We've seen what you can do so ..

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_cc1MXQiHFhY/TN8fTdn-VSI/AAAAAAAAAAM/WkvhG4HV8Ws/s1600/oddballkellysheroes2T1.jpg

You know what ? I'm leaving them in . There's enough usable thread on there to crush an exhaust gasket . All I need now is a serviceable set of barrels and pistons and it's good to go . I'm not faffing around with rebores and rings this time around .

You know what ? I'm leaving them in . There's enough usable thread on there to crush an exhaust gasket . All I need now is a serviceable set of barrels and pistons and it's good to go . I'm not faffing around with rebores and rings this time around .

Wotcha going to do with the old pistons and barrels?

I want to try boring out on my mill you see.

Wotcha going to do with the old pistons and barrels?

I want to try boring out on my mill you see.

I haven't properly assessed them yet but one in particular has bad scoring on the piston skirt and in the bore . I'll let you know what's happening .

Polish_20201011_145733303.thumb.jpg.5ffefe4e769452e1be311172618339c7.jpg

Just ordered a second hand set of barrels and pistons with 28,000 miles on them and apart from the chain and sprockets that's the last money I'm spending on this thing !

Not a pretty sight . ART aftermarket pistons , standard size I think unless the 135 stands for something . I would have thought that if you're going to replace the pistons you would go for a 00.5 rebore while you're at it . Of course it's not impossible that all the damage was done when I started the bike up . The bike had been standing outside for a few years and one thing that dissolves carbon is actually water . The deep scoring does look a bit fresh like it all happened in a short period of time . Who knows ? 🤔

Polish_20201011_173405826.thumb.jpg.cee4892d3a8119f9da43d31986de4e0e.jpg

Do you still have your spare engine you could use for bits?

I wish . I flogged it for £50 ( I think ) Hindsight is a wonderful thing . I should have rebuilt it over time and then looked for an ER5 to put it in .

It's a good job I do this for the fun of it . I've spent this much already and all this bike needs is a starter clutch .

Please view this ad:

Kawasaki, ER5, ER 500, 2007, 498 (cc),

https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/kawasaki-er5-er-500-2007-498-cc/1387010205?utm_source=com.google.android.apps.docs&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_android

Price: £ 548

Download the application from the Google Play Store.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gumtree.android

I spotted that .. 5/6 miles up the road from me and was tempted to make an offer.

But wifey says I haven't got room for another one.

Tell her you could almost double your money . It says the starter dosen't engage but it might be as simple as dirt in the starter motor itself . Either way you could easily get £900 + for this if it had no issues .

I spotted that .. 5/6 miles up the road from me and was tempted to make an offer.

But wifey says I haven't got room for another one.

Tell her you could almost double your money . It says the starter dosen't engage but it might be as simple as dirt in the starter motor itself . Either way you could easily get £900 + for this if it had no issues .

You're going to get me into trouble! ;)

My latest present from eBay . These are really good . Minimal bore wear and once they've had a scrub a near flawless outer finish . They even threw in the camchain tensioner . All for £32 . Setting aside other factors , that's just halved the mileage on the bike .

IMG_20201015_175059793.thumb.jpg.ddd8554d288cca49bce84a45f1512f74.jpg