Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Shagged starter which drew a lot of amps and popped the 150 amp fuse that comes off the battery!! 

The funny thing is I knew the starter was on the way out so I ordered a new one! 

Well it's a start 😂 

Sorry couldn't resist 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Six30 said:

springs , lower arms etc is due to our shit roads and speed humps etc.

When my Rear spring went funnily enough it was approx 1 month after the council had installed speed bumps all along a big stretch of road I use on daily commute :roll:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Can we stop talking about cars!! My Volvo had to be towed home from work last night!! 

I blame @Bender and @Mr Fro for not warning me before I bought it!! 

First time I have been let down by a car :roll: 

Bollocks, you did that to yourself!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mr Fro said:

I'm fairly sure we warned you about it...

Possibly after you bought it but it still counts, surely.

Yeah it was after and I don't think you actually warned me! you both just started ranting on about issues! 

No advice was given to steer me away :lol: 

Just now, Stu said:

Yeah it was after and I don't think you actually warned me! you both just started ranting on about issues! 

No advice was given to steer me away :lol: 

Well you'd already bought the bloody thing by that point!

Anyway, you've got your new starter motor so hurry up and get it fixed, you're giving the rest of us a bad name!

• Haha 2

Just now, Mr Fro said:

Well you'd already bought the bloody thing by that point!

Anyway, you've got your new starter motor so hurry up and get it fixed, you're giving the rest of us a bad name!

Nah its on its way so can't do anything yet so its sat on the drive while I use the wife's car :lol: 

It was the fuse that was the scary part! You can't buy the fuse separately to replace it you can only buy the whole battery cables at £115 +VAT :shock:

Some top bodging is in order I recon 

27 minutes ago, Stu said:

Nah its on its way so can't do anything yet so its sat on the drive while I use the wife's car :lol: 

It was the fuse that was the scary part! You can't buy the fuse separately to replace it you can only buy the whole battery cables at £115 +VAT :shock:

Some top bodging is in order I recon 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1525282832

I went down a pothole on the Tiger and damaged the tyre - needed replacing. This was last year, just before lockdown. But I put in a claim to Highways (as it was on the A14) and they refunded 80% of the cost. Took the 6 months to do it, but I got the money back in the end. I bet you can claim for a spring, too, if you can identify the pothole that broke it.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, bonio said:

I went down a pothole on the Tiger and damaged the tyre - needed replacing. This was last year, just before lockdown. But I put in a claim to Highways (as it was on the A14) and they refunded 80% of the cost. Took the 6 months to do it, but I got the money back in the end. I bet you can claim for a spring, too, if you can identify the pothole that broke it.

Are Highways the same as the local council Highways? They'll usually only pay out if the pothole had been previously reported. My daughter shredded a tyre on a huge pothole but the council said it hadn't been reported so they weren't liable. Our lane is falling to bits so I am one of those sad people who log every pothole and report it. I keep a record of every logged report. That way if someone damages a car the Council have to cough up. 

Interestingly they've got a lot quicker mending potholes recently.

• Like 1

Good morning boys and girls :thumb: 

sunny, 10c mostly blue sky with a few clouds.

moderate north wind.

air pressure at 1015 hPa (whatever that means) 😏

min forecast at 4c

max forecast at 12c

On 15/03/2021 at 09:52, Tiggie said:

I doubt this will be the problem so don't bother trying but I'll share my boiler woes from probably ten years ago now.

Combi boiler packed in around November so during the time you want it on. We had that British gas monthly payment scheme so called them out. 

Guy turned up next day, spent five minutes and said it was the PCB, he would order one and it'd take 5 days.

Part came to house in 2 days, called but was told it'd still be on the 5th day before someone could come fit it. I wanted to do it myself but was persuaded not to by better half.

Different Guy came out, fitted it, still not working. He said it was the thermistors that needed replacing and said too many plumbers just think they need to change PCB without checking them.

Once again part was ordered and it would be five days. 

When the plumber came (different one again) and fitted the new thermistors it still wouldn't fire up properly. He said he wasn't sure of the problem and will get someone to call me later.

Got a call to say they will send out someone to have a proper look at it, in yes you guessed it, 5 days!! My wife took kids and went to stay with her mum as she couldn't cope anymore ( I think our youngest was around 3 so not good for her either) 

I got fed up so decided to pull the thing apart myself and look. I knew the issue was that it was only partially igniting and then it would go out. After a lot of checking and experimenting I noticed that the igniting wire (piezoelectric type) was quite low down. I got a pair of long nose pliers and pulled it up a bit and voila it fired up perfectly!!!

In fact it performed faultlessly for another five years until we moved house.

I've always wondered if the guy that was supposed to come would of discovered the problem or ordered more new parts. 🤔

Heating working. There was a loose wire on a sensor.

I did manage to get out on the bike to collect some stuff from Carlisle. The roads were filthy due to runoff from the fields so I hosed the bike off on my return. I’m awaiting the delivery of snow foam and a new lance so I can give it a good wash. I hate washing bikes. 🙁 I see people who are into detailing and wonder about the mindset that makes them spend so much time doing that (they probably wonder why others don’t 🤔).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Are Highways the same as the local council Highways?

Highways Agency.

You're right about them not being liable if they don't know about the hole. this is from Which:

Can my pothole compensation claim be rejected?
Section 58 of the Highways Act 1980 provides councils with a statutory defence if they can show that reasonable care was taken to secure the road and it wasn’t dangerous to traffic.

This means highway and local authorities can often defend claims if they weren't aware of the pothole or if they had in place a reasonable system of maintaining and inspecting the road.

For example, if the pothole appeared recently after the authority's last inspection and no one had yet reported it as a hazard, you may struggle with your pothole damage claim as the authority took reasonable care to check the road.

But, if the local authority knew about the pothole and didn't repair it, or if it didn't follow road maintenance guidelines, you have a stronger chance of claiming compensation for pothole damage and repairs.

Guess I just got lucky.

Edited by bonio

You will have a page from your council where you can report a pothole or the UK/Wales gov page

https://www.gov.uk/report-pothole

Unfortunately the "statutory defence" is nothing else than a con created to enforce the "duty" of the citizens/residents to report the potholes instead of the council/highway agency to do the job our council tax pays for.

Several times I've been tempted to get a spray can and paint "Thank u Fife C for the hole" or a similar sentence at each pothole. But it would cost me a fortune to do it.