Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

6 hours ago, Tiggie said:

Woke up at 3am to this :shock:

Dental abscess. All dentists including mine are shut until Tuesday. Emergency appointment available on Sunday in Harrogate :roll:

I've just spent last few hours in a&e and got some antibiotics from them. 

IMG-20210402-WA0000.jpeg

that tooth looks like it's giving you some grief :classic_ohmy:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bender said:

I think we could happily survive with streaming services.

When I lived on my tod I didn't have a TV and had great fun when TV licence guy came calling 😁 

Not as much fun as when jehovah's witnesses called, I think I'm on the don't call list now.

Even with only watching streaming service es you would still be liable to the tax (for it is now a tax, not a licence fee).

In January 2006, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) changed the classification of the licence fee from a service charge to a tax.”

Edited by Steve_M

3 hours ago, Six30 said:

over 75s now have to pay tv licence , to help cover that twat Linekers  outrageous wages.... 

and who set the fee and changed the rules for that to happen? This government. If you voted for Johnson’s lying corrupt Tory crew you can take some responsibility. 

I belive it was the BBC board who voted to charge over 75's  as they couldn't make ends meet for all the huge bloated salaries they are paying.

73 presenters alone were on more than the prime minister in 2020.

10 hours ago, Tiggie said:

Woke up at 3am to this :shock:

Dental abscess. All dentists including mine are shut until Tuesday. Emergency appointment available on Sunday in Harrogate :roll:

I've just spent last few hours in a&e and got some antibiotics from them. 

IMG-20210402-WA0000.jpeg

Told you I would give you a fat lip if you carried on with your cheek.............

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Bender said:

I belive it was the BBC board who voted to charge over 75's  as they couldn't make ends meet for all the huge bloated salaries they are paying.

73 presenters alone were on more than the prime minister in 2020.

It’s not up to the BBC’s board. They requested funding, the other option was to close channels. Ultimately it is the Culture Secretary’s decision to continue with a policy introduced by Gordon Brown. He chose not to. 

In the 2017 general election manifesto, the Conservatives promised to “maintain” pensioner benefits, “including free bus passes, eye tests, prescriptions and TV licences, for the duration of this parliament”.

1 hour ago, Steve_M said:

It’s not up to the BBC’s board. They requested funding, the other option was to close channels. Ultimately it is the Culture Secretary’s decision to continue with a policy introduced by Gordon Brown. He chose not to. 

In the 2017 general election manifesto, the Conservatives promised to “maintain” pensioner benefits, “including free bus passes, eye tests, prescriptions and TV licences, for the duration of this parliament”.

https://www.bbc.com/aboutthebbc/reports/consultation/age-related-tv-licence-policy

The Gov has no direct control over the BBC board, they also don't have an endless pot of money.

They reckon they voted for it, I would have sooner lost staff and content than charge old folk

In an 8month period after deciding to charge pensioners they paid out an average of over 100k to staff leaving the BBC, way over and beyond anything on that scale in the public sector.

We obviously have differing views on the use of public money and the BBC so I'm not continuing this further as it's pointless 😁 

1 hour ago, Bender said:

https://www.bbc.com/aboutthebbc/reports/consultation/age-related-tv-licence-policy

The Gov has no direct control over the BBC board, they also don't have an endless pot of money.

They reckon they voted for it, I would have sooner lost staff and content than charge old folk

In an 8month period after deciding to charge pensioners they paid out an average of over 100k to staff leaving the BBC, way over and beyond anything on that scale in the public sector.

We obviously have differing views on the use of public money and the BBC so I'm not continuing this further as it's pointless 😁 

Normally I’d agree to disagree and move on. The setting of the licence fee, though, is not entirely under the control of the BBC Board.

The licence fee is formally set by the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport by the use of statutory instruments. The relevant statutory instruments are the Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004[7] “

The government could have chosen to overrule the BBC Board, and made them make some commercial decisions on services provided. They could have kept their election manifesto promise. Unless they were promising something that they had no control over?

I agree that there are people paid way over their value. Gary Lineker, Jeremy Vine (£700k a year), just to identify a couple. And release of £100k is excessive, though I know a number of people who have had similar amounts from within the finance industry as redundancy payment. 

18 minutes ago, dynax said:

Good morning frosty start but the skies are clear and the sun is out, the makings of a fine day to be sure :thumb:

Overcast and chilly here. Croissant, Pain au chocolat and Pain au raisin in the oven to set the tone of the day. 

• Like 1

Morning

Not a bad start to the day bright sunshine and supposed to be tops of 16! 

My bike stays put on bank holidays there is way too many w**kers out and about in cars :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Good morning from a very wintry Doncaster, need to decide on a full shop or a part shop today, do I go on Xena and do my full shop or take Bridget and get the very minimum, hmm decisions decisions, I will have a think while I have my coffee :thumb:

Replacement car bought this morning. Hopefully, collect on Friday.

Nothing flash, Ford Focus Econet to replace our current Ford Focus Econet. Just in a nice blue rather than black. 

• Like 1