Triumph Trophy Engine Strip

12 hours ago, Mickly said:

Sump is now fitted with a smear of gasket sealant & no sign of any stripped threads, I’ll fill it with oil tomorrow 🙏 .. if @Mississippi Bullfrogwould say a prayer for me I would appreciate it 😁

Would that be through St Eligius, patron saint of mechanical engineers, or St Jude, for lost causes?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Would that be through St Eligius, patron saint of mechanical engineers, or St Jude, for lost causes?

🤣🤣

So, 3.75 litres of proper spec oil & no leaks from the sump … it obviously not under pressure & hot but it’s a small win 👍

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mickly said:

So, 3.75 litres of proper spec oil & no leaks from the sump … it obviously not under pressure & hot but it’s a small win 👍

As i understand the oil in the sump should not be under pressure or you have bigger problems elsewhere . Oh and if the oil in the sump is not hot it’s not running or you have bigger problems elsewhere 😁😁

Do you have the dip stick or sight glass?  

If you have sight glass I have learned if I can just see bulb on centre stand it’s about right.
Worth checking with fresh oil if your on sight glass to give you some confidence.

Just now, onesea said:

As i understand the oil in the sump should not be under pressure or you have bigger problems elsewhere . Oh and if the oil in the sump is not hot it’s not running or you have bigger problems elsewhere 😁😁

Do you have the dip stick or sight glass?  

If you have sight glass I have learned if I can just see bulb on centre stand it’s about right.
Worth checking with fresh oil if your on sight glass to give you some confidence.

When I eventually start it up the oil will get hot & therefore a bit thinner & more likely to leak.

“Under pressure” was indeed the wrong term, ‘circulating’ is a better description of what I meant.

The Trophy has a dipstick ( no not the owner ) and it shows just over full, I expect this to go down once it’s coated the inside of the engine ( as oppose to the outside ! )

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mickly said:

When I eventually start it up the oil will get hot & therefore a bit thinner & more likely to leak.

“Under pressure” was indeed the wrong term, ‘circulating’ is a better description of what I meant.

The Trophy has a dipstick ( no not the owner ) and it shows just over full, I expect this to go down once it’s coated the inside of the engine ( as oppose to the outside ! )

I was trying to be funny 😛. Not something I am good at.

some trophy have a sight glass that is a PITA.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, onesea said:

@Mickly - where did you get your head gasket from in the end someone else is asking.

Off eBay from America - the usual places are all out of stock, I had to search for ages and waited until it popped up.

Next update…

Having got the engine back in the bike & oil / water tight I need to check the compression & make sure the work I’ve done has worked.

I have the compression tester but hit a problem - the plug socket (middle) I have is 18mm and the tube for the compression tester wouldn’t fit through it, also the compression tester attachment ( bottom )  is 19mm

83ACDE47-C9B3-4352-A12C-C84066C7AED4.thumb.jpeg.9edf6db83692f02eb4477f154547218d.jpeg
So I bought a cheap set of box spanner’s from Machine Mart for £10

0FD73ABD-5CA4-409C-8BD4-EBC3870EEEE8.thumb.jpeg.bffe7fb7985e243b3226663e2258669b.jpeg

Then I found that the 19mm box spanner wouldn’t fit down the hole 😡

After a bit of work on the bench grinder in now fits 😀

6DFC3342-4CE0-49DB-B608-B18ABBE8DC0B.thumb.jpeg.613832e491fc99a045d4a3d7b90543e2.jpeg

And the tube fits through the box spanner 

6E54AB83-414C-4DCE-AEA3-D81272B2A953.thumb.jpeg.1e5fc6a9ddd9b62d93f9869675d8794b.jpeg

So all should be good to start testing…. Except ….. although I made sure the battery was charged a couple of days ago I could get no life out of the bike - I fitted the smart charger and it showed that the battery was low & needed charging 🤔

I took off the negative battery lead and but my multimeter between it and the battery, low and behold there’s a 125 milliamp parasitic draw ( it has no accessories that might account for this ) so now to try and find out what’s going on, watch this space .. or not 😁

So the apparently the parasitic drain was a complete red herring due to my incompetence in identifying that the charger was still plugged in and measuring the health of the battery thus drawing current 🤦🏼‍♂️
There does seem to be an intermittent fault though, but at the moment it’s working so I can start testing compression.

So I’ve got 150 psi across all 4 cylinders 🎉🎉🎉🎉

Had no spark, but swapped the wires to the coils around and it’s all good 👍 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ian Frog said:

So the maiden fire up following the rebuild is imminent?

Cheers

Ian

Getting closer, waiting for new spark plugs to be delivered, got to track down the intermittent electrical fault & save up for some E5 … 😁

• Like 1

Intermittent electrical fault sorted: a connector I had disturbed while removing & fitting the engine.

exhausts refitted, air cleaners refitted, new iridium spark plugs fitted.

A0252D76-2142-4CFB-B693-EDD6704CE195.thumb.jpeg.d8c9a0644fc5386f261df65151bb15a2.jpeg

Tank drained of about 3 litres of old fuel ( over a year old ) with the current price ( 28D158AE-A198-4F47-8167-FB39149714F6.thumb.jpeg.9e211b0526650b81eedb86e9062daf29.jpegabout £6 worth ) I could have cried 😢

Wonder if the garage would take it in part ex? 😁

Edited by Mickly
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

RE Old fuel bring tight fisted, once up and running and out for a day I would use it.

If it's been in mental tank out of sun it should be fine.

My trophy is on E10 and seems to be fine on it.

However I do make sure she gets a run every week 

Edited by onesea

I put 5ltrs of old fuel (1 year old) in my 600 after the 500 had blown up and had sat unused in the garage for that amount of time, I barely made it out of the street and the bike died. Had to get the RAC out, and we had to strip the fairings off to get at and drain the tank. It was the old fuel that was the problem, even though there was 10 litres of fresh petrol already in the tank so ended up scrapping at least 15 litres. Up to that point the 600 had never missed a beat, except when I accidentally damaged the TPS

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

The moment of truth !!!!!

I’ve laid down a couple of cloths, one under the bike to check for oil leaks & one beneath the carbs to check for petrol leaks.

I’ve left the battery charger on so I don’t flatten the battery.

Fuel tap turned to prime & choke on & first prod of the starter.

Its alive …. First time & only after a quick press of the starter, no horrible noises, no horrible smoke or steam out of the exhaust.

Oil pressure light went off & all four headers got hot.

There is a small fuel leak from the T piece where the fuel lines connect which will need fixing before it goes to RRP in Meriden to have the carbs properly set up.

I am a very happy Mickly 👍

Edited by Mickly
  • Like 5

On 09/07/2022 at 16:03, Mickly said:

The moment of truth !!!!!

I’ve laid down a couple of cloths, one under the bike to check for oil leaks & one beneath the carbs to check for petrol leaks.

I’ve left the battery charger on so I don’t flatten the battery.

Fuel tap turned to prime & choke on & first prod of the starter.

Its alive …. First time & only after a quick press of the starter, no horrible noises, no horrible smoke or steam out of the exhaust.

Oil pressure light went off & all four headers got hot.

There is a small fuel leak from the T piece where the fuel lines connect which will need fixing before it goes to RRP in Meriden to have the carbs properly set up.

I am a very happy Mickly 👍

Brilliant well done…

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Advice required!!

The Trophy starts but seems to be getting hot very quickly.

I’ve taken off the radiator cap & the water does not seem to be circulating - it’s got a mechanical water pump that seemed fine prior to refitting - could it be just an air block? If so how would I find / cure it? Or is it more sinister?

Thanks

Took the top hose off, removed the thermostat and checked it in a pan of water, haven’t got a thermometer that goes that high, but it opened on a light simmer, so I reckon it’s ok.

Turned the bike over with the top hose off and the stat out and it was pumping water, so maybe it was all a false alarm and things hadn’t got hot enough to open the thermostat 🤷🏻‍♂️

Next step is off to Road Race & Performance in Meriden for rolling road & jetting - again, coz that’s where the troubles were first identified.

4 hours ago, Mickly said:

Advice required!!

The Trophy starts but seems to be getting hot very quickly.

I’ve taken off the radiator cap & the water does not seem to be circulating - it’s got a mechanical water pump that seemed fine prior to refitting - could it be just an air block? If so how would I find / cure it? Or is it more sinister?

Thanks

Trophies don’t like idling, in this weather it would be less than 10 minutes and the cooling fan would be on even when stationary, on a cool day..
There is little to indicate water flow as I recall, no thermometer as standard just over an over heat light.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Trophy is going into R&RP for jetting on Friday, but only dropping it off as going in hols, the dyno work may not be done for a week or so.

If all is successful I want them to MoT it as well, so I’ve fitted the original number plate - should upset a few flag shaggers - hopefully 😁04F766F9-061F-481E-99E6-D568309C8869.thumb.jpeg.4ec81d187a7516512205e6e17010c8be.jpeg