Forum software

Stu

After some recent issues following an update of the server software I have been contemplating moving to a more commercial setting.

I have spoken to [mention]XTreme[/mention] about this as he has used/uses the software I have been looking at and he highly recommends it

Many users who have been here a lot of years will have seen things come and go like different styles and a gallery we used to have this is due to the fact that the software is open source and is developed by volunteers and as such any addons can simply lose support overnight!

A simple update of the main software can break many of the addons that I have installed although I must admit things have been better over recent years.

I have been looking at https://invisioncommunity.com/ this would bring the forum more up to date the trouble is its commercial which means it costs money there is an initial layout plus a 6 monthly subscription and no this is not a begging post :lol:

I have concerns that places like facebook are killing forums although this place is still doing pretty well and that if I pay for the software is it going to be a waste? I do earn a fair bit at times from the adverts and subscriptions/donations and I use this money to keep this place alive but the way I look at it is its your money that you have given for me to pay for this sort of thing.

So I thought I would ask you guys your opinions?

Well it’s your forum I’m happy with what ever you do, if it is going to make things better easier for you then go ahead.

I was trying to consider you old ones who don't like change :lol:

On a serious note things would change and some will say for the better some will say for the worst :?

Guest Swagman

Well it’s your forum I’m happy with what ever you do, if it is going to make things better easier for you then go ahead.

I was trying to consider you old ones who don't like change :lol:

On a serious note things would change and some will say for the better some will say for the worst :?

As long as it doesn’t make posting complicated as I’m just a thick sod that doesn’t grasp things very well. :D

OK.....listen up guys and I'll tell you how it is!

The software you're using now literally came out of the Ark. It's hardly progressed in 20 years and never will.

[mention]Stu[/mention] has been battling with this shit for years......and it's getting to the point where the software is not fit for purpose. I'm sure most of you saw the database issue thread recently......it ended up whereby the forum had to go back to an outdated version of MariaDB (the db application on the serve) to be able to run properly. PHP 8 (scripting language on the server) is released at the end of the month, and this site has no hope of running on it.

To summarise, Stu is battling with software that's long past it's sell by date.......and we're heading to the point where it's going to be unusable. It's not a BetaMax VCR yet......but it's getting close! If it was a bike it would be some POS thing that [mention]dynax[/mention] has given a girlie name to. You get the drift?

The ONLY option is he has to go commercial! Yes, the initial costs are high.......but it's a very worthwhile investment and gives this place a future! With the current software it has no future! And it will make YOUR user experience that much better!

So......let me throw something out there:

If all of us regulars throw in a Tenner as a one off gesture, Stu would be in a position to pull the trigger on this! Add your name under mine in your post if you're in.

XTreme

Sounds like it could be a good move, Stu, and I'd be happy with it (and to continue contributing towards it). Do you know of any forums we can go take a look at, merely out of curiosity?

Yes I do......mine! But I can't link it cos it will seem spammy. If [mention]Tiggie[/mention] wants to give you a link it's up to him.

All I can tell you is that I've used Invision since 2002......it's very professional.

Guest Swagman

The software you're using now literally came out of the Ark. It's hardly progressed in 20 years and never will.

@Stu has been battling with this shit for years......and it's getting to the point where the software is not fit for purpose. I'm sure most of you saw the database issue thread recently......it ended up whereby the forum had to go back to an outdated version of MariaDB (the db application on the serve) to be able to run properly. PHP 8 (scripting language on the server) is released at the end of the month, and this site has no hope of running on it.

To summarise, Stu is battling with software that's long past it's sell by date.......and we're heading to the point where it's going to be unusable. It's not a BetaMax VCR yet......but it's getting close! If it was a bike it would be some POS thing that @dynax has given a girlie name to. You get the drift?

The ONLY option is he has to go commercial! Yes, the initial costs are high.......but it's a very worthwhile investment and gives this place a future! With the current software it has no future! And it will make YOUR user experience that much better!

If all of us regulars throw in a Tenner as a one off gesture, Stu would be in a position to pull the trigger on this! Add your name under mine in your post if you're in.

XTreme

Swagman

@Stu has been battling with this shit for years......and it's getting to the point where the software is not fit for purpose. I'm sure most of you saw the database issue thread recently......it ended up whereby the forum had to go back to an outdated version of MariaDB (the db application on the serve) to be able to run properly. PHP 8 (scripting language on the server) is released at the end of the month, and this site has no hope of running on it.

To summarise, Stu is battling with software that's long past it's sell by date.......and we're heading to the point where it's going to be unusable. It's not a BetaMax VCR yet......but it's getting close! If it was a bike it would be some POS thing that @dynax has given a girlie name to. You get the drift?

XTreme

Im happy to contribute

Something else......this software comes with a specific Mobile App as well. Don't confuse "Mobile Compatibility" which this one has, with a Mobile App.

As an example, e-Bay or Amazon are Mobile Compatible........but see how difficult they are to use without the App? An App completely refines the content and layout to give you a much better user experience and makes it so much easier.

And you Casuals need all the help you can get!

Oh......and for the Gif Fans.......Giphy is built into the text editor! So adding Gifs is as easy as adding smilies.

Poor old [mention]fastbob[/mention] is likely to lose his shit over this.......but you can't please everybody!

https://media.giphy.com/media/KcjxruOmio7bq/giphy.gif' alt='GIPHY>'>

All the time ive been on here , ive given fook all and you still want more :roll:

sounds like this new system would need another mod ...... how much do you need :wink:

countingmoney.gif

You Twat......I was leading up to that.....now you've gone and shown your hand!

All the time ive been on here , ive given fook all and you still want more :roll:

sounds like this new system would need another mod ...... how much do you need :wink:

countingmoney.gif

You Twat......I was leading up to that.....now you've gone and shown your hand!

you can fook right off after your last performance as my campaign manager .