F1 Grosjean...

Six30

car sliced in half and exploded... lucky boy ,

highlights on at 9 on channel 4 , its on the first lap so you wont have to sit through it all.

Edited by Six30

Was certainly an interesting race, it looked like the upright on the halo had spot, I always wondered how much of an impact they would take, considerable would be the answer.

He would have been toast had it not been fitted, there was alot of resistance to them when they were introduced, bet they wouldn't be without them now.

He was also lucky he went through the barriers, had it wedged in them the very thing that saved him could have trapped him.

There needs to be some looking into how that barrier allowed the front end of the car to penetrate it like that. Given the angle of the barrier to the track it really needs to have something to absorb impact. I can see this having huge repercussions for tracks. Very lucky guy to get out of that with so few injuries.

On 29/11/2020 at 22:01, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

There needs to be some looking into how that barrier allowed the front end of the car to penetrate it like that. Given the angle of the barrier to the track it really needs to have something to absorb impact. I can see this having huge repercussions for tracks. Very lucky guy to get out of that with so few injuries.

It's quite a big debate in safety engineering. You don't want it too hard, as the deceleration will turn your organs into mush (Grosjean hit 53G peak forces). You can bet next year that section will have been redesigned, as a lot of the protection built into tracks is based on risk. 

I was watching live and thought I was seeing a Niki Lauda style situation. When he hopped out you could see him shaking his hands as he's obviously burnt a lot of skin. Amazed he got off so light!

Being a huge F1 fan please let me chip in ;)

The accident is quite "spectacular" and the boy was very lucky.

A few facts about Grojean.

Dubbed the torpedo by fellow racing drivers he was frequently involved in accidents the most notorious in SPA when he decided that was a good idea to push everyone forward on the first turn of first lap where Alonso almost lost his head (literally) when another car past flying over his head.

This accident (Abu Dhabi), as horrific as it seems wasn't fatal because of the enormous safety measures in F1 cars, the most obvious the so called halo which Grojean was dead against it and almost left F1 because of it.

Note that the accident occurs because Grojean decided to cross the track from left to right with complete disregard for the rules (prohibition of crossing the track without an obvious safety reason on the first lap).

Happy that he is still alive and after such accident ended up with minor injuries that doesn't excuse that he's an idiot that should have been banned from racing long ago

1 hour ago, husoi said:

Being a huge F1 fan please let me chip in ;)

The accident is quite "spectacular" and the boy was very lucky.

A few facts about Grojean.

Dubbed the torpedo by fellow racing drivers he was frequently involved in accidents the most notorious in SPA when he decided that was a good idea to push everyone forward on the first turn of first lap where Alonso almost lost his head (literally) when another car past flying over his head.

This accident (Abu Dhabi), as horrific as it seems wasn't fatal because of the enormous safety measures in F1 cars, the most obvious the so called halo which Grojean was dead against it and almost left F1 because of it.

Note that the accident occurs because Grojean decided to cross the track from left to right with complete disregard for the rules (prohibition of crossing the track without an obvious safety reason on the first lap).

Happy that he is still alive and after such accident ended up with minor injuries that doesn't excuse that he's an idiot that should have been banned from racing long ago

Not a mega fan of F1 but looking at the recording he certainly seemed to go right the way across the track and caused someone to clip his rear.  Seemed a bit random unless he had a mechanical issue prior?