Lake District people...

I'm thinking of a long weekend at the end of July in the Lakes. Originally was planning to go to Ireland, but that's looking a bit out of budget...

The advantage of the Lakes is that maybe, just maybe, I might be able to ride that far on my bike. Are the roads nice, or will they be jam-packed with caravans and tourists in the height of summer...?

Also, can anyone recommend any nice hotels in the area that won't charge me double for being on my own? I can find some on t'interweb, just wondered if anyone had any recommendations...

Aww but I wanna test ride your Blade! :wink:

Korb, depends where you wanna stay..Kendal, or nearby, like Windermere, or Peak District? TBH , your parents probably know more, as I live here hence dont need to know hotels :wink:

There's plenty of hotels around, or would you want B&B's?

Take a look at this one http://www.stockghyllcottage.co.uk/

It's just outside Bowness on Windermere and even though they'll charge you full room rate for single occupancy it'll still be cheaper than a travelodge or hotel. (and you get breakfast....big plus for me!)

The last weekend in July is the Air Show weekend so Bowness will probably be busy, but then, so will every weekend in The Lakes in summer. All being well i'll be off that weekend too.

The roads are nice, plenty of places to overtake if you get stuck behind some old chuffer with a caravan.

Cheers Jade. Would prefer a hotel to a B&B, but I guess it depends on cost. Don't really want to pay more than £300 for 3 nights...

Didn't realise there's an airshow on. I guess I'll have to book pretty soon and be prepared for traffic. I'll probably end up taking the car anyway. It looks a bit too much of a journey for the bike...

Try the link

http://www.booking.com/region/gb/lake-d ... ict+hotels

But remember you don't need to pay top money and stay in the lakes, as anywhere on the fringe will have you in the lakes and fells in a short time.

fopr instance, i'm in Barrow and within 20 minutes i can be on the lakes,

popular routes are the passes, scenic and a little technical, but don't attract the caravans, any routes which aren't the main arteries will give you less traffic and better scenery, although the A591 after Grasmere is a scream as its uphill double width and great for just powering up, overtaking allcomers..

let us know when and where and i'm sure we can figure out some quality roads/routes for your trip, and maybe meet up on one.

Thanks, that looks like a really useful website. By the looks of it there is a fair bit of availability on the dates I have in mind within my budget. Is there a good area to aim for? To be honest, I've never really been. I've driven through on the way to Stranraer but never stopped off before...

keswick will take you though the lakes and isn't bad for going on runs from, but that said, there are runs available from wherever you decide to stay....

also, Jade Mongoose is Kendal, so is dragonlith, and i'm Barrow,

we did a run to devils bridge, got to add that to your itinery on your trip, preferably sunday.

we went onto hawes, sedbergh and back to the bridge, before splitting up, i came home, dave (dragonlith) went caton way to lancaster..

what do you ride, and what kind of roads do you enjoy, this will give me an idea of possible routes,

Not sure if I'll be bringing my bike yet. I'm struggling a bit with distances due to surgery I had last year...

However, it's a possibility if I get to grips with riding again in the next couple of months and I take my time over the journey, so watch this space...

To be honest, the purpose of the trip is a few days away somewhere nice and the fact that I haven't been there before. If I can add biking to it, then all well and good, but if I can't I'll still go. I have a 'special reason' for wanting to get away by myself that weekend...

Anyway, I'll get cracking on looking at hotels and stuff. Thanks for all the advice...

sorry Dragolith,

if your not briging the bike, i'd recommend Kendal, you can get into windermere and up to keswick easily from there, otherwise somewhere overlooking one of the lakes is an option but pricey..

Well, it's kinda 50:50 if I bring the bike. It's a lot further than I've ridden since my illness, but if I don't start trying to do this stuff this year, it's just never gonna happen. But I do admit I'm a complete wuss when it comes to rubbish weather...

What sort of place is Kendal? If I do bring the bike, I daresay I'd struggle to find a hotel with secure parking. I certainly wouldn't leave my bike anywhere round here without being locked in a garage. Is Kendal the same...?

• 2 weeks later...

Queen B, some bike shops have a booklet of where to stay (UK), places that welcome bikers and ofeer secure parking, i'll pop into crooks and see if they have one, then i can scan the relevant pages for you. unless you find a dealer that has one near you..

The Gilpin Bridge Inn is nice. Good food, off road parking, and good beers. You can't walk anywhere from it, cos it's in the middle of no-where, but if you're on the bike/in the car it's only a 10-15 minute ride/drive to Windermere and you're in the heart of the Lakes.

I wouldnt leave my bike in Kendal outside. But I wouldnt leave it anywhere outside...

Im no hotel buff so I dont know of any with secure parking...

:o !!!

I left my 6 outside in kendal for nearly 2 years and didn't have a single issue. I even used to leave the key in the ignition whilst I went round morrisons after work, never on purpose of course :oops: but then it was always there when I came back. Kendal's obviously dropped in standards without my presence 8) :lol:

I wouldnt leave my bike in Kendal outside. But I wouldnt leave it anywhere outside...

Im no hotel buff so I dont know of any with secure parking...

:o !!!

I left my 6 outside in kendal for nearly 2 years and didn't have a single issue. I even used to leave the key in the ignition whilst I went round morrisons after work, never on purpose of course :oops: but then it was always there when I came back. Kendal's obviously dropped in standards without my presence 8) :lol:

Either that or no one wanted ya bike :wink: