Lake District people...

drogolith, i'd rethink your opinion of barrow, Kendal and windermere all have their share of twocers and chavs, just look at the park and wheelhouse on a saturday night.. i and many of my friends fit neither of those statements. so keep your opinions to yerself..

Hey guys, let's not argue. I'm from Ellesmere Port and currently reside in Langley Mill. I've never been to the Lake District but my expectations are realistic given my 'social background'. I just want nice weather and mountains and somewhere pleasant to spend a couple of days whilst I deal with one of life's personal traumas...

drogolith, i'd rethink your opinion of barrow, Kendal and windermere all have their share of twocers and chavs, just look at the park and wheelhouse on a saturday night.. i and many of my friends fit neither of those statements. so keep your opinions to yerself..

:scratch:

Barrows a dive.

There are lots of places that are either nice or nasty depending on your perspective - however there are only NICE people on here.

Let's keep it that way.

According to RAC routefinder thing it's only 140 miles. That's not as bad as I thought. I managed 90 miles to Skegness last year on 4 occasions...

The only tricky bit is bypassing Manchester but I guess that's what the M60 is for...

Depends on the time of day Clare - rush hour varies from standstill to dragstrip. Around 10:00/11:00 it's a bit quieter - but wouldn't you be better getting on the M6 all the way up, or would that be too boring?

I'm nowhere near the M6 matey. I think cross Pennines to Stockport, then M60/M61. There must be an alternative to the M6 after that. Motorways are dull and that's when I really struggle with my legs if I can't stop and put my feet down every so often...

another option would be M1 to Bradford / Leeds Airport and A65 up through Skipton and Kirby Lonsdale, perfect biking country.. 157 miles from Derby to Windermere

Kirkby Lonsdale (Devils Bridge) is synonymous with Bikers, Sundays are Bikes only and theres normally plenty there taking in butties and teas.. I don't know when you are travelling, but it'd be a shame to not partake if you were in the area over a weekend.