Adhoc Meet Friday 11th Dec

onesea

If anyone is out for a ride, I am out from the new forest from about 10.30 to 15.30

So coffee/ lunch at 12.30 ish...  happy to meet anywhere within riding time, lots of options...

Weather looks like mainly dry with possibly some showers (maybe not light showers)....

1.5h from home.png

Edited by onesea
Add location map

2 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I sometimes ride Wells- Dorchester direction. But we’re in a mahoosive Covid hot spot at the moment so not mixing. Another day though 👍 
My grasp of the UK’s geography is sooo bad for a moment I thought Oh I like riding in Wales 🙄😆

Understand your concerns about Covid, my thinking would be meeting at burger shack or similar outdoor meeting. 

For future reference Dorchester (top of town Cafe) is well within time limits for tomorrow,  Wells (that's now on my list as I have not been there) / Clarks Village would be @2 hours pushy for tomorrow (I had been think Street Clarkes Village and Cadburys Shop till I checked times prior to seeing your post). 

For future Geography the New Forest is Between Southampton and Bournemouth.

I will post again given one encouraging reply.

Forest of Dean is Gloucestershire  I'll have you know! I'd be up for a jolly in happier times as I regularly head down to Portsmouth area or to Wells, Bruton, Salisbury,  Shaftesbury, Dorchester etc. As we are planning  family meet ups  over the 5 days when covid  goes on its holidays I'm under the cosh to not expose myself to the plague in case I pass it on.

@S-Westerly I’ve been there a few times to visit a friends grandmother so you’d think I’d remember but no 😆

We have vulnerable immediate family where we live so are also working on a general AVOID policy at the moment 😞 

My overwhelming memories of the Forest of Dean is how frightening the pubs were (a far cry from the Cotswolds) it was a cross between the American werewolf in London and the League of Gentleman. I’m half convinced he must of based some of the characters on folk from there!!

In the olden less connected days it was quite possible to walk into a pub or place somewhere unfamiliar and get the feeling they practised the dark arts and human sacrifice may still be on the cards 😆

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Pretty sure the forest pubs are still that way. Not warm and welcoming that I've noticed.  

43 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Pretty sure the forest pubs are still that way. Not warm and welcoming that I've noticed.  

Depends, there’s a certain friendliness if you look like you might cook well 😆

2 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

possible to walk into a pub or place somewhere unfamiliar and get the feeling they practised the dark arts and human sacrifice may still be on the cards 😆

2 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

You go there before me :D

Actually many Forest Pubs are VERY Welcoming as long as they can see the thickness of your wallet when you go in,  you may even be welcome back again if its emptied before you leave.  How ever even before Covid they expected you to que on a weekend for the pleasure of being served over rated over priced food.  If its only overpriced expect to book your table a week or 2 in advance.

39 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Is that good at cooking or good at being cooked?

There are rare traditional pubs where the locals will still look at you with distain, there the ones "incomer" locals don't go in unless they have lived the area for at least a decade or 2 and are not mentioned in polite society.  If you walk in and the bar staff don't know one of your parties names its best to leave, quietly...

For the less traditional pubs, Don't think they are thinking to eat you they are more choosy, the distain might be:
You don't have a dog,
You don't have the right breed of dog. 
You have children with you,
You where not wearing sailing cloth's or Green Wellies,
The clothes your wearing where not the right brand,
Your car bike or mode of transport is not of suitable quality,

They will however still expect to empty your wallet.

Hehehe. 
Big difference between pubs in the New Forest and the Forest of Dean then :classic_biggrin:

The Forest of Dean pubs were very different, they had been taking part in ‘selective breeding’ for so long they had a special look in their eye and extra fingers to help count the change....  :lol:

Back then quite extreme regional price differences still existed that meant they really did charge pennies, you’d probably have to have stayed there a year to empty your wallet... if you dared!

@S-Westerly you’d be checking the sacrificial lamb was still knocking about rather than the “Your my wife now Dave” type of look! :D

Edited by Slowlycatchymonkey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Hehehe. 
Big difference between pubs in the New Forest and the Forest of Dean then :classic_biggrin:

The Forest of Dean pubs were very different, they had been taking part in ‘selective breeding’ for so long they had a special look in their eye and extra fingers to help count the change....  :lol:

Back then quite extreme regional price differences still existed that meant they really did charge pennies, you’d probably have to have stayed there a year to empty your wallet... if you dared!

@S-Westerly you’d be checking the sacrificial lamb was still knocking about rather than the “Your my wife now Dave” type of look! :D

My wife likes dragging me about the various bike trails up there. I always end up thinking of that film "Deliverance"!

• Haha 2

@S-Westerly @Slowlycatchymonkey

If your out on bikes and not going Northerly or Westerly I may be game to catch...

Week days are often best for me... Depending upon the evils of shifts...

@Six30 had also threatens to catch up but that might might be too far west for him...

22 minutes ago, onesea said:

@S-Westerly @Slowlycatchymonkey

If your out on bikes and not going Northerly or Westerly I may be game to catch...

Week days are often best for me... Depending upon the evils of shifts...

@Six30 had also threatens to catch up but that might might be too far west for him...

yeh, im up for a meet, once winters out the way :thumb:

1 hour ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Hehehe. 

You want to try some of the out of the way Warwickshire village pubs.

All looks normal in the outside, but beneath the veneer of respectability is a seething mass of Satanists, Swingers, Seditionaries & Sewing circles 😁

4 minutes ago, Mickly said:

You want to try some of the out of the way Warwickshire village pubs.

All looks normal in the outside, but beneath the veneer of respectability is a seething mass of Satanists, Swingers, Seditionaries & Sewing circles 😁

You know almost every time you post I learn a knew word or meaning? I’m thinking you’re far more deviant than you let on 😆 Dynax will have to up his game!

So this is what Google throws up a sewing circle is?

Nazimova, believed to have coined the expression "sewing circle" for a group of bisexual and lesbian performers who hide their sexual orientation

6 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

You know almost every time you post I learn a knew word or meaning? I’m thinking you’re far more deviant than you let on 😆 Dynax will have to up his game!

So this is what Google throws up a sewing circle is?

Nazimova, believed to have coined the expression "sewing circle" for a group of bisexual and lesbian performers who hide their sexual orientation

I may, or may not have known that 😉

• Haha 1

Having a gay son living in Brighton has extended my vocabulary hugely.

We once went to visit ( without knowing) during ‘Bear’ week ... who knew about all those sub genres....eg Twinks 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

@S-Westerly I’ve been there a few times to visit a friends grandmother so you’d think I’d remember but no 😆

We have vulnerable immediate family where we live so are also working on a general AVOID policy at the moment 😞 

My overwhelming memories of the Forest of Dean is how frightening the pubs were (a far cry from the Cotswolds) it was a cross between the American werewolf in London and the League of Gentleman. I’m half convinced he must of based some of the characters on folk from there!!

In the olden less connected days it was quite possible to walk into a pub or place somewhere unfamiliar and get the feeling they practised the dark arts and human sacrifice may still be on the cards 😆

Hah! You're so right about this... I recall walking into a pub in Thirsk with some mates, and a literally everyone stopped talking and just stared at us. It went on too long for comfort :classic_blink:

Edited by learningtofly

1 hour ago, S-Westerly said:

There's me thinking sewing circle was some kind of quilting bee where genteel ladies compared embroidery and cross stitches.

Warning off topic. Embarrassingly (although I don’t know why I find it embarrassing, probably because of the micky taking than ensues after I reveal it) I belong to a sewing circle :lol: 
I was finding doing something tricky so looked for a tutor and ended up at Dillington House (one of those beautiful old piles that are somehow owned and run by the council that they use for educational days a lot like Missenden Abbey) and while I was there I was invited to join a sewing group a bit closer to home. The tutor was so lovely, one of life’s rarities, kind, gentle, extremely knowledgeable and a natural teacher so I had to go along.

There was some hesitation when the offer was extended and when I arrived I could see why. They’re all in their late sixties early seventies and being over 20 years younger there was some concern I’d fit. They are all indeed genteel ladies. I love that twice a month I’m propelled into the quiet, gentle world where everything is peaceful, it’s easy to forget you have that part to your personality, it’s a balm for the soul in a different way to motorcycling, I highly recommend it. Haha on a motorbike forum recommending everyone takes up sewing and joins a sewing circle, let the slaughter commence :classic_biggrin: 

• Like 2

I was waiting for your Sewing Circle to be some den of den of iniquity....

"They’re all in their late sixties early seventies"  That sounds like a local Yacht club down here, glad your having a better experience, at the time I found there facility's use full, I am no longer a member.

When mum was alive I would take her in for lunch, the general assumption was she was the member,
I was routinely asked who's boat am I sailing? - My own,
Who's boat are you working on? - My own,
The old classic so our a member here? I don't recognise you are you new? 10 years of member ship later...
For some reason I never felt welcome..

The boatmen and bar staff knew me by name as they where routinely asked by others if I was a member.  I still have had a boat on the river for near enough enough 20 years and I am still one of the youngest mooring holders.