Next project .

I think that this will require extensive test riding . Purely to evaluate the quality of my workmanship you understand . A bit of background . The guy that I'm doing it for is the dad of the guy I sold that Aprilia to last year . I think he was impressed by the way that I got it running in two days after it had been part of a blackberry thicket for ten years . The Triumph had been incorrectly fitted with twin carbs but they are missing . The owner has obtained a new carb and a one into two  inlet manifold . The head is off and the valves are out and there are a few bits missing . By brief is simple . The bike is wheeled in and ridden out . I can't wait to get started . 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Say hello to Harley's new little friend . First impressions are good . It seems to be all there including a  new Amal carb still in the box . 

IMG_20201231_165201472.jpg

IMG_20201231_165355463.jpg

• Like 4

Guest Swagman
15 minutes ago, fastbob said:

Say hello to Harley's new little friend . First impressions are good . It seems to be all there including a  new Amal carb still in the box . 

IMG_20201231_165201472.jpg

IMG_20201231_165355463.jpg

You’re going to have a lot of fun with that.😀👍

Ok , I've laid out all the parts and nothing appears to be missing . I've been provided with a full gasket set which is good . The thing that you always have to ask yourself about unfinished projects is why were they started and never completed in the first place ? And I think I have the answer already . The valve guides are sloppy as f**k . So I think I've got a bit of reading up to do before I knock in some new ones . On a personal note , this project has fallen into my lap at exactly the right moment as far as my mental well-being is concerned . I'm six weeks into my mild antidepressants now and I'm starting to feel really solid again . Happy days . 

Edited by fastbob
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, skyrider said:

nice handy size project :thumb:

I keep thinking there must be something missing but no , it really is that simple. Almost as simple as the Harley . 

Guest Swagman
3 hours ago, fastbob said:

Ok , I've laid out all the parts and nothing appears to be missing . I've been provided with a full gasket set which is good . The thing that you always have to ask yourself about unfinished projects is why were they started and never completed in the first place ? And I think I have the answer already . The valve guides are sloppy as f**k . So I think I've got a bit of reading up to do before I knock in some new ones . On a personal note , this project has fallen into my lap at exactly the right moment as far as my mental well-being is concerned . I'm six weeks into my mild antidepressants now and I'm starting to feel really solid again . Happy days . 

That’s good to here about you health Bob I know just what it’s like to be down there, best wishes and as the no nothing people say keep your head up.👍👍

Bit of an update . I've told the owner that it needs new valve guides that cost £45 and he's not interested . He's basically asked me to put it together anyway . To say that this goes against everything I stand for would be an understatement . Turns out that he just wants to sell it on . I'll do the job but my heart is no longer in it . 

• Sad 2

Just now, fastbob said:

Bit of an update . I've told the owner that it needs new valve guides that cost £45 and he's not interested . He's basically asked me to put it together anyway . To say that this goes against everything I stand for would be an understatement . Turns out that he just wants to sell it on . I'll do the job but my heart is no longer in it . 

Noooo for £45 that’s miserable 😖 

• Like 1

Presume the valve seats will need recutting too if the guides are that sloppy. Cannot believe he will let those go to leave the next owner to do it. Would make me loos interest too Bob. Sometimes actions like that can make you give up doing jobs altogether. Glad you can rise above it Bob. 

Keep well Bob.

I see your point Bob if he is not willing to pay a small amount to get the job done properly I would walk away and let him try and sell it as a non runner and see where it gets him. Or you could make him a cheeky offer to take it off his hands and do it to your usual standard Bob. 

• Like 1