Bike won't roll forwards or backwards freely

Ehcbr125

8 minutes ago, iangaryprice said:

There are 2 reasons that could have  caused this problem

1. Rear wheel repair not oen correctly. I know you trust hte guy, but everyone can have a bad day.

2. Corrosion has caused something to sieze, common this time of year because there is now salt on the road.

Put bike on the centre stand. Raise front wheel clear of the ground and try to rotate it. It should be easy to rotate and continue to rotate after you stop pushing it. If not easy, main culprit lilely ot be the brake, less lilely wheel bearings

Repeat with the rear wheel.

If either wheel is hard to rotate listen and look at what is happening. Try rocking it back and forth.

If the brake is binding there will be no free play, the drag will be fairly constant. If its a drum brake try to move the arm on the backplate, they often sieze into the backplate, after you apply the brake it should be released by the spring, try pressingthe brake pedal and see what happens. You my be able to see which part is sticking. Check there is free play the pedal should move about 10-30mm before the brake is on.

Have a look to see the chain is adjusted correctly, should have about 15-30mm play. Check the wheel spindle nut is tight and the adjusters are correctly positioned,

Good luck, report back with what you find.

We'll go out tomorrow in daylight and check these things. We have no centre stand though so need to think about how we can test each wheel! 

1 minute ago, Ehcbr125 said:

We'll go out tomorrow in daylight and check these things. We have no centre stand though so need to think about how we can test each wheel! 

Maybe ask Santa for some paddock stands :thumb:

1 minute ago, Ehcbr125 said:

lean it over on side stand , get someone to spin rear wheel , front one more tricky

7 minutes ago, TimR said:

If been ridden in the wet and then brakes could bind ..

Give the brake calipers a thwack with a Rubber Mallet/ piece of wood (and same on the brake drum if drum brake )

Also have you made sure its not in gear ?

False neutral can illiminate the neutrsl indicator but still be in gear 

I presume it left their garage fine ?

(Check the rear drum torque arm is still connected as if not rear brake will lock on if drum brake)

Its ridden daily so yes it's been in rain :classic_sad:

No it's not in gear but haven't checked if it moves freely when in gear with clutch pulled in. 

Yes it left the garage fine. It's actually been a couple of months since any work was done but chain and sprockets still look fresh etc. 

Disc brake

4 minutes ago, Six30 said:

lean it over on side stand , get someone to spin rear wheel , front one more tricky

Actually, when we serviced it we used a car Jack to drain the oil and the front wheel was off the ground then! Thank you!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ehcbr125 said:

All joking aside I have absolutely no problem with anyone and no offence was taken by my spelling mistake being pointed out!

You could get a chinese made blake disc  :classic_biggrin:

Edited by dynax
  • Haha 1

Your brake calipers probably need a clean. Try spinning the wheels one at a time. They should rotate at least one revolution if you spin them. It's pretty common in the winter for a layer of dirty/brake dust/corrosion to build up on the pistons and the brakes start to drag and eventually they stick on. A can of brake clean and a toothbrush should clean them up. If the rear caliper hangs under the swingarm that is likely the one that's sticking. If you take the caliper off and you see a dust seal poking out around the piston you will need new seals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Ehcbr125 said:

It's alright someone was always gonna point it out they always do :classic_biggrin:

My response is normally that they will never know in futures if I am doing it to annoys them or not....

Re brakes, don’t worry about riding in rain just wash bike regular like.  Contrary to some most bikes don’t dissolve with a drop of rain.

if back wheel has been removed the callipers will have been pushed back a bit so might of disturbed some crud.  

See if you can workout which wheel, then you know where to start, having calippers  myself it’s not rocket science just read up ask on here and look at U-tube...