Eifel, Germany. 2021

Gerontious

Firstly a note to the group, some of you cannot be sent messages. so please have a look at your inbox and empty it if necessary.

Ive just completed the first step and have booked a room for the night before we cross. This year I'm at the Travelodge  The tunnel is going to cost £88 - but this can wait unless you think brexit will cause a sharp increase in the price. (it may) Our crossing will be at the normal times in both directions. As soon as i have booked mine i will let you know the times so you can book yourself as and when it suits you. Only once this is done will I confirm your room at the Schloss. I really do not want to mess the krufts about with rooms booked and then cancelled.

Sadly this years trip is already 'full'... and so i cannot accept any more people.

Dates are:

Ashford Overnight on September 4th.

Crossing September 5th.

Returning September 11th.

Edit. it should go without saying, but do check your passports as it will be a requirement that there is at least 6 months remaining till expiry.

Edited by Gerontious
passport info.
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, rob m said:

Something to look forward to 😀

Indeed, after such a dreadful year with everyone having to bale, for various - but ultimately entirely valid reasons. Going back to the Schloss is the obvious antidote. Anyway it’s now set in motion and set in stone. So, just a matter of ticking off the days. All 263 of them. 

• Like 2

Enthusiasms infectious isn’t it- booked the tunnel crossings 👏👏👏

Itll be my first channel tunnel experience, anyone wants any geeky tunnel construction facts Im your woman!

Oh dear this excitements not going to help me sleep, especially as it feels a bit like I’ve booked the ending of Covid 😆

• Like 2

Ive already booked the hotel for the night before... have to wait and see if the Beefeater is open for our traditional 'meet and greet' meal.  Im doing a load of overtime including both christmas and new year.. plus getting 45hrs unused holidays as cash. so, will book my crossings mid january.

I appreciate (as always) the trust and enthusiasm for this years trip. it feels good to be going back to the Schloss and the Eifel/Luxembourg.

Just waiting on a couple of the guys to confirm and as soon as I have that I shall contact the Schloss to reserve our rooms. And obviously request Schnitzel for our first evening meal. (nearer the time)

Below is a photo of the guest house which is on a very quiet cul de sac behind the hotel.. we normally park our bikes as shown but you can make out the garages which we can use if we want to.

IMG_0212.thumb.jpg.09a8eec06f2f0e78c2d3c361e74bb10b.jpg

Edited by Gerontious

Great stuff. Like the parking near the place. Always gives me the heebie jeebies if I have to leave my bike parked too far away. I’ve also never been to Luxembourg so that’s also something I’m looking forward to.

Im going to have to get off the forum now though otherwise I’ll be awake til 3am thinking about the trip 😆

Guest Swagman
1 minute ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Great stuff. Like the parking near the place. Always gives me the heebie jeebies if I have to leave my bike parked too far away. I’ve also never been to Luxembourg so that’s also something I’m looking forward to.

Im going to have to get off the forum now though otherwise I’ll be awake til 3am thinking about the trip 😆

Get to bed NOW.😀

On 16/12/2020 at 00:06, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I’ve also never been to Luxembourg so that’s also something I’m looking forward to.

Luxembourg is great, we will ride through on our way to the hotel and on our return, But, aside from that, its become something of a tradition to have a full day there exploring the north end of the country, mostly the north end. We don't go anywhere near the capital though as its a traffic hell, as we discovered one year when an ad hoc route took us right through the centre.. never again. The north end is beautiful, low hills, winding deep river valleys with more than their fair share of surprisingly twisty descents and ascents, Castles everywhere. truly gorgeous private houses as befits one of the wealthiest countries on the planet. and roads that 99% of the time are smooth as silk. perfect.  we've found some great eateries there, most notably Hotel Huberty at Kautenbach - owned by a slightly deranged Dutch couple. And then there is a cafe at Esch-sur-Sure that does the most wondrous coffee and cake. You really need to like both on these trips. Obviously as the country is so small, it hardly matters where you are but our hotel is never more than 30 miles away. Its always a pleasure going there. Best thing is as most of the population work in the capital traffic is extremely light during the day and then about 5 there's an hour of madness as everyone rushes home. And then as suddenly as it began it's over again. And the roads are deserted.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 2

no... that photo is of the bikes parked close by, the hotel itself is out of sight to the left.

here's a different perspective... recent so lacking the outside tables and parasols.

EkCOxOeXYAA75VT.jpeg

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 2