Eifel, Germany. 2021

Gerontious

On 21/01/2021 at 21:48, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Well here’s something I’m glad I didn’t know about until it’s on it’s way to being remedied. 
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jan/21/eurostar-to-get-support-from-french-and-uk-governments-to-ensure-future?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Eurostar and Eurotunnel are completely different companies ..

44 minutes ago, Copycat73 said:

Eurostar and Eurotunnel are completely different companies ..

Indeed. Eurotunnel, which is the service we use was almost completely unaffected by the lockdowns of last year. They just reduced the number of trains carrying traffic as there were significantly fewer private vehicles crossing. normally there is a train every 20 minutes during the day. they knocked this back to one every 30 minutes., or one per hour during the worst times. Notably, the service never fully stopped as freight used it even when the ferry companies rolled back.. or in some instances completely ceased crossings.

I expect this to be the case this year. If we assume Germany is open to tourists, then even if France is 'closed' it wont affect us as under EU law France cannot prevent travellers from transiting if the destination is a third country. If they were allowed to do that then all trade would cease.

I fully expect the situation to be near normal by the time we go. But, I have to feel sorry for people who are.. or were expecting to travel at easter. I just can't see that happening. in any case we should have a clearer idea of how things will pan out by the start of the summer holidays

I shall be booking my crossing within the next month or so.

Edited by Gerontious

This is for anyone considering booking up something later in the year. I wanted to book an overnight stay end of Octoberish. I went on the hotel website not expecting to have any real difficulty. The hotel currently seems to be prepay no refunds (you can understand why) but it appears everyone is banking on being free by then because this is the bookings page 😱 

76CB2B36-EF54-44C2-963A-C1234B5FB9ED.jpeg

Edited by Slowlycatchymonkey

2 hours ago, Gerontious said:

I expect this to be the case this year. If we assume Germany is open to tourists, then even if France is 'closed' it wont affect us as under EU law France cannot prevent travellers from transiting if the destination is a third country. If they were allowed to do that then all trade would cease.............  I fully expect the situation to be near normal by the time we go. 

I shall be booking my crossing within the next month or so.

I hope so..  

I will be lookin to book my crossin in couple of  weeks .. hotels ; France & Switzerland; are already booked for late August .. though i`m expectin to need proof of vaccination at the border checks..  

Edited by Copycat73
spelling

4 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

This is for anyone considering booking up something later in the year. I wanted to book an overnight stay end of Octoberish. I went on the hotel website not expecting to have any real difficulty. The hotel currently seems to be prepay no refunds (you can understand why) but it appears everyone is banking on being free by then because this is the bookings page 😱 

Wow, busy!

As far as I’m concerned. And as far as THIS thread goes, there is nothing to lose. The Tunnel will at the very least allow a rebooking. As will the overnight at Ashford. Our hotel in Germany has never asked for a deposit. So nothing to lose there.

As we go away every year (if allowed) it doesn’t matter if we need to rebook for 2022. Just means a few clicks on the websites to change dates and nothing to pay.

13 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Yer, if your wanting to go away this year (and don’t mind risking losing the money) then I’d get on with the booking!

I have hopes to go tenting with the family at the end of May and with close friends at the end of July. Campsites are not accepting bookings at the moment though so just wait and see what happens. 

• Like 1

On 04/02/2021 at 11:55, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I wonder if thats because the Hull to Zeebrugge ferry has now gone as a fair few used to use that! 

Just now, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

The SOLD SOLD SOLD is the aviator hotel in the UK. My bad, taking the thread off at a tangent 😬

Could still be the same reason! people heading down and having a night over before crossing 

Today, I have booked and confirmed our rooms at the hotel in Germany. As per usual they send everyone their best and hope that by that time Covid will be over.

So, Dates are confirmed.

Overnight at the Tunnel - Booked.

Rooms at the Hotel in the Eifel - Booked

Just need to buy the return crossing through the Tunnel now. Though thats never a worry. And can be done anytime between now and the end of July. (before the prices begin to creep up)

just under 30 weeks to go.

Neuerburg.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

What a joyous thing to look at with all this ice outside 🤩 

Just bought a German watching machine that will be very happy to hear all about the trip. Not that I’m talking to the washing machine.. much.. things aren’t that boring.... or are they... 😂

What exactly does a German watching machine do with what it's seen, do you think the Germans are upto something, have you been at the varnish again.😁 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Looks devine. Even more devine given the my current surroundings of soggy waterlogged fields n icy sea winds. 
Im guessing Germany uses kph?

Of course they do. Though it doesn't really matter.. speed limits are much the same as here in most instances. 20/30mph in villages. 60mph in the countryside, with occasional restrictions on dangerous roads or bends. On the autobahn, which we rarely use, the limit, where shown. is 80mph. where there are further restrictions due to road works. take heed as there will almost certainly be a camera, and there is none of this 10% leeway nonsense we have here. 1kph over the limit will give you a fine. Though it remains to be seen if these fines will follow you home post brexit. This is actually something i worry about as i dont want to be collared in future years for an unpaid fine i was unaware of. So, as a consequence we will be very careful. on the plus side. speed cameras are very rare indeed over 99% of the landscape we will be riding in. They are found mostly, in a very few villages. The riskiest roads in the National park and in the Nurburgring area.

depositphotos_141361690-stock-photo-german-border-sign.jpg

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Booked my crossing and return today. early, but not too early. we will be staying about 12 miles from the Tunnel and my alarm for that morning will be set for 7am.

So.. thats just about everything done.

Room booked for an overnight near the Tunnel.. which will nicely break in half the almost 500 mile ride from my front door to our hotel in Neuerburg.

see how things are nearer the time and perhaps book our normal 'meet and greet' meal for that evening. Not something I need to think about yet.

Rooms booked at the Hotel in Germany.. no deposit required. Double room/half board/inc  €45 (or less)  per night.. but bear in mind that the hotel restaurant is closed on the Sunday and Monday evenings.. so we will have a walk into the village.

Crossing for both ways booked. we arrive in France at 11:00am local time and are back in the UK at 5:00pm on our return day.

I've checked the Nurburgring for opening days and we have 3 opportunities during our week. on the Monday, Wednesday and Thursday. So.. that can easily be added to the itinerary. It's worth visiting just for the spectacle even if you don't want to ride it. (I refuse)

Things are rough in Germany right now.. but I'm very confident that there will be no barriers to us travelling by the end of the summer holidays. I do have a 'plan B' ready to roll if it comes to it though.... which will mean dusting off your tents. but, I don't think it will come to that. only mentioned so you are aware.

I'm guessing there will be a need for proof of vaccination for travel. but, we will have a clearer idea on the 'rules' as we get towards summer and the various countries begin too emerge from lockdown.

And thats about it.  less than 28 weeks to plough through.

pfingsten2015_kehren.jpg

• Like 1