Eifel, Germany. 2021

Gerontious

27 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Sadly I wont be able to make this trip 😪, My condition isn't really improving at the rate I'd like it to. On top of that I wouldn't want to be a risk to you guys or anyone else.

My hearts broken, but I need to do the right thing and try to fix myself.

@Gerontious I can inform Daniela?

Gerontious

I'm sure we'll both make one of these trips at the same time one day. Looking after yourself is always the prioroty 

• Like 1

If it turns out that quarantine is mandatory regardless of where you stay. Then the trip will be cancelled. But… I think that’s highly unlikely. It didn’t happen last year and this year we are in a very different situation.

pay no attention to the doom and gloom merchants (who are having a field day) it will all become clear as we head into summer. 

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 2

Unless they change the rules. Quarantine isn’t about where you go. It’s about where you stay. So, if Germany is on the naughty list, we will go to France. If France is in the list too then maybe Luxembourg. If it’s a clean sweep and quarantine is mandatory regardless, throughout the Benelux, France and Germany then we will be out of luck and will just have to look forward to 2022. When we will be going to Austria and the Dolomites. Via the Black Forest over the course of a fortnight.

Well my equipment was (re)battle tested last year in Wales but I still fancy getting a tent that isn't more tape than tent and maybe one that sets up with rain sheet first. Somehow I got away with it though.

• Haha 1

A little bit of positive news. Germany is getting on the ball as far as vaccination numbers go and they have recently passed a law that excludes anyone who is fully vaccinated and/or recovered from Covid from the lockdown measures. This can only improve as we head into summer and I think its only a matter of time until Germany is taken off the quarantine list. plenty of time for this to pan out.  we're due to cross in 17 weeks. (119 days)

Be patient. The Schloss awaits.

Guesthouse.jpg

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Gerontious said:

A little bit of positive news. Germany is getting on the ball as far as vaccination numbers go and they have recently passed a law that excludes anyone who is fully vaccinated and/or recovered from Covid from the lockdown measures. This can only improve as we head into summer and I think its only a matter of time until Germany is taken off the quarantine list. plenty of time for this to pan out.  we're due to cross in 17 weeks. (119 days)

Be patient. The Schloss awaits.

Guesthouse.jpg

It's a home from home.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Banned from Germay. Ive never been banned from anything in my life, its interesting experience.

Still, a lot can happen in the next 15 weeks. so I'm not completely disheartened.

But.. i will start thinking rather more seriously about a "Plan B'

Edited by Gerontious

When will the Germans just let it go and accept we won the war.... and we have left the EU cause we dont want to be ruled by them ..        how long will they carry on being bitter and twisted.

Edited by Six30

On 22/05/2021 at 15:23, Gerontious said:

Banned from Germay. Ive never been banned from anything in my life, its interesting experience.

Still, a lot can happen in the next 15 weeks. so I'm not completely disheartened.

But.. i will start thinking rather more seriously about a "Plan B'

Still on the continent or are you thinking wales/Scotland?

Vosges Mountains which are the western counterpart of the Black Forest mountains in France. So that depends on whether France is taken off the amber list and we can go without fear of an enforced quarantine on return. I’m hopeful that Germany will change their rules in the meantime. Still plenty of time and we should have a clearer idea of what’s possible by the end of July.

If crossing to the continent proves to be impossible. Quarantine would make it impossible for me and everyone else. Then I wont bother with anything this year. Move my tunnel crossing to next year and my room at the Travelodge and look forward to Austria and the Italian Alps/Dolomites September 2022.

Edited by Gerontious

41 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

Vosges Mountains which are the western counterpart of the Black Forest mountains in France. So that depends on whether France is taken off the amber list and we can go without fear of an enforced quarantine on return. I’m hopeful that Germany will change their rules in the meantime. Still plenty of time and we should have a clearer idea of what’s possible by the end of July.

France has announced that arrivals from the UK will be forced to self isolate for at least 7 days to stop the Indian variant!

I really do hope that this gets sorted quick and that you all get to go on your adventure!

I have just had a credit for last years tunnel crossing, I'd been pushing it back ever since august and got to the limit of how far it could be pushed. I've still not booked this years crossing but will a couple of weeks before hand if we know we are going. 

If we don't go abroad this year I'm still having the week off and if the weather is with me I'll go to scotland.

1 hour ago, Bungleaio said:

I have just had a credit for last years tunnel crossing, I'd been pushing it back ever since august and got to the limit of how far it could be pushed. I've still not booked this years crossing but will a couple of weeks before hand if we know we are going. 

If we don't go abroad this year I'm still having the week off and if the weather is with me I'll go to scotland.

I'm waiting to see how things pan out but would be up for Scotland if a Euro trip is a no-go. Apparently though, everybody and their brother is heading to Scotland so it'll be busy.

I'll have a couple of trips to Wales regardless of what happens. You can never have enough rain in your life.

There is a lot of disscussion about the NC500 but I might be tempted to avoid that if we're all confined to this island and do it when people are heading abroad.

Love a bit of rainy wales, I may even go this weekend if I can.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bungleaio said:

you and every Donkey with his dog .. sat in their campervan behind a caravan .. stuck for passing lycra louts hoggin the road on their death  wheels.. bein bit to perpetuity by carnivorous winged insects..  you enjoy then..  

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Copycat73 said:

you and every Donkey with his dog .. sat in their campervan behind a caravan .. stuck for passing lycra louts hoggin the road on their death  wheels.. bein bit to perpetuity by carnivorous winged insects..  you enjoy then..  

You say that like its a bad thing

• Haha 1

I’m heading to top of Scotland on Sunday, on my Tod and tent so can be free and easy. If roads chocka my plan is to start days ride at 4am ish when it will be light.  Fingers crossed, will report on business.

for later in year I’m looking at ferry to northern Spain and week riding around there.

• Like 3

After the announcement that no countries are being added to the Green List, I’m not confident that things will improve in 2 months but we’ll see I guess. You had the best opportunity last year @Gerontious I think, countries have more evidence and data this year to support restrictions. That said, I’m ready to mobilise at short notice, my leave is still booked.

However, I have enough midge repellent just in case it doesn’t go ahead 😀 Don’t mind a week in the Highlands.

Ive given up worrying about it, its completely out of our hands. We should know one way or the other by august, In fact I will leave off cancelling anything until the Governments involved make their decisions in august. If we can go to Germany then thats great, if we can only enter France. That'll be great too.

If it doesn't happen this year then we will definitely be heading for the Austrian/Italian Alps (returning via the Black Forest) in 2022. or at least planning to do so. I shall move my tunnel crossings as well as my booking at the travelodge at Eureka once we know whats what.

3rd - 18th September next year.

• Like 2