Eifel, Germany. 2021

Gerontious

Add to that, this country had the highest and second highest infection rates in the world this past week on consecutive days. Already Bulgaria has slammed the door shut. France might retaliate with a tit for tat. It’s all looking very dodgy at the moment. I wouldn’t like to go away and then the worst happens we are forced to return early to beat some arbitrary deadline to escape enforced quarantine. Then, finally there is these floods. Daniel sent me a video showing the road outside the front of the hotel looking like a river. The downstairs where the bar toilets and bowling alley are was under water. She told me they have closed the bridge so they cannot check on the guesthouse. People who live along from the guesthouse have been evacuated. By boat. And on it goes…..

• Sad 3

4 hours ago, rob m said:

Yeah, I saw that. I’m doubtful the situation will change anytime soon. Goes to show how quickly things can change.

Posted at same time. 

Yea we got caught out in Turkey last year by instant change. 

4 minutes ago, Bender said:

Posted at same time. 

Yea we got caught out in Turkey last year by instant change. 

If and its a big if  we get sent to West Africa next the only chance I and 6 others have of escaping is at Reunion which counts as France and means mandatory hotel quarantine. Not happy about that either especially as it counts as leave too.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

If and its a big if  we get sent to West Africa next the only chance I and 6 others have of escaping is at Reunion which counts as France and means mandatory hotel quarantine. Not happy about that either especially as it counts as leave too.

Mutiny an option? 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Bender said:

Mutiny an option? 

Not really as we knew what the score was when we joined. As the old saying goes "If you can't take a joke you shouldn't sign on". Sometimes it's hard to see the funny side but then you see what the poor sods in Germany are having to put up with and things could be a hell of a lot worse.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bungleaio said:

Sadly I get altitude sickness and can’t handle it. See you in 2023!

I thought altitude sickness was something that goes away once you acclimatise? Only once got it bad up the top of a volcano. 12,500ft. The locals said to eat fruit and it would go away. Not saying it would work for you, but it worked for me. 

One thing you will need to prepare for, and you have a year to do that. Is the ride down. If we are to make the most of it, then I want to get down to the Allgau in 2 days. Once we are there then everything is on the doorstep and we can wander hither and yon to our hearts content, we can 'do' the Black Forest as part of a much more leisurely return.

Early crossing on the Saturday morning. get to France about 9. (local) so that will definitely mean an overnight at Ashford.

From the tunnel to the Allgau. Im thinking Füssen. Is 580 miles avoiding french tolls, So a relatively easy 290 miles per day. Though I would prefer to do more on the Saturday so the Sunday can be lazier. After that a morning off on the Monday, and then a ride in the afternoon. Along the Plansee and to Oberammergau. The start of the L255 is just 13 miles away from where I hope we will be staying. And that road is sublime.

So, a little bit of effort at the start and then more time, there. dib dib dib.

This will be the third attempt at going as a group to this part of the world. defeated so far by bad weather and then the virus. No guarantees we wont be defeated again.. but, you know me, the eternal optimist.

We'll start sorting out the details once the winter blues set in and it becomes important to have something to look forward to.

And with that.. this thread and this years trip is over. sad to say.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Jeez these last 2 years ey? Where's delete!

Saw some footage from Daniela and looks like it was in the lake district a few years back but a much larger scale.

She said they are the only place able to stay open Hotel/restaurant wise!

I need schnitzel so bad right now.

Here's looking forward to a brighter future.

• Like 3

On 17/07/2021 at 21:53, bonio said:

I thought altitude sickness was something that goes away once you acclimatise? Only once got it bad up the top of a volcano. 12,500ft. The locals said to eat fruit and it would go away. Not saying it would work for you, but it worked for me. 

It should do but charging up and down mountains in a car a few years ago wasn't fun, I'd go dizzy at the top and feel terrible. I had to leave my mate on his own to complete the rest of the tour and get the train back. The face on the lady in the ticket office in a random station in the south of france when I said un à Londres s'il vous plaît was a picture. 12 hours later I walked through my front door though, the trains in France are incredible.

Oddly I was completely fine going over the pyranees but I don't want to risk it on the bike.

The Alpine passes are a lot higher than those that cross the Pyrenees, so perhaps that's the difference.  

I've had altitude sickness a couple of times - that time on that volcano, and another up time at the top of Pikes Peak. It's not nice. One of the girls with us on the volcano got became so disorientated on the way up she nearly walked off the edge of cliff. 

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, bonio said:

The Alpine passes are a lot higher than those that cross the Pyrenees, so perhaps that's the difference.  

I've had altitude sickness a couple of times - that time on that volcano, and another up time at the top of Pikes Peak. It's not nice. One of the girls with us on the volcano got became so disorientated on the way up she nearly walked off the edge of cliff. 

That reads like you’re still suffering @bonio  😂

18 minutes ago, bonio said:

Luckily it wasn't that bad for me but I remember sitting in the passenger seat of my mates car feeling quite odd whilst cyclists were riding up the mountain.

The feeling of the thicker air when we desended was amazing, it was like breathing in soup

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bungleaio said:

The feeling of the thicker air when we desended was amazing, it was like breathing in soup

We used to live at 6500 ft. When we came back to Blighty, we'd run up and down the hills as if we were mountain goats. 🐐

@Bungleaio

Unless its the case that you cannot justify taking two weeks to come away with us, then you should reconsider. You're independent enough to do your own thing when we have our day on the Grossglockner at 2,500m. everything else is considerably lower than that. And it will be no hindrance at all to make allowances for you. Of course... as is per usual there will be a 'Plan B' if the weather on the north side of the Alps is bad then we will dash south and go to Tuscany/Liguria or east into Slovenia Or if the reverse is true.. spend some time in the Black Forest and then wander down to the Algau. Which is very picturesque without the elevation. Obviously where we go and what we do can only be estimated. it will all depend on the weather at the time as we will definitely be following the Sun.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bungleaio said:

I'll have a think but it's unlikley I'll be there. My girlfriend and I may well be doing a road trip of norway which will eat most of my annual leave.

and - seeing this is Norway - most of your savings 🤣

• Haha 1

On 20/07/2021 at 20:45, Bungleaio said:

I'll have a think but it's unlikley I'll be there. My girlfriend and I may well be doing a road trip of norway which will eat most of my annual leave.

It must be great motorcycling destination, but it must be carefully planned. Not only to focus to Nordkapp, but all fjords. Two years ago I did not by road but cruise ship from Bergen to Nordkapp and back. If you are lucky to have good weather it’s majestic. Sometimes you can have snow in August 😀😀😀

1 hour ago, Marino said:

It must be great motorcycling destination, but it must be carefully planned. Not only to focus to Nordkapp, but all fjords. Two years ago I did not by road but cruise ship from Bergen to Nordkapp and back. If you are lucky to have good weather it’s majestic. Sometimes you can have snow in August 😀😀😀

This photo was taken on the 4th of August last year, in Italy.

Stelvio 4 august 2020.jpg

• Like 1