Frequently Asked Questions and Guides

Stu

Frequently Asked Questions

To add a marker to the community map is pretty simple 

This FAQ is made for a pc/laptop so may differ on a mobile/tablets

First hover over browse where you will get a drop down menu with a list of items you can select from 

Click on Community Map 

Browse.png

Next click on "Browse Markers" 

Browse marker.jpg

On the next page you have two options you can click "Add Marker" from here or select the group you want to add a marker to then click "Add marker" from that group.

Add marker.jpg

You will then be presented with a drop down box to select that marker group you want to add the marker to. 

Select the group then continue.

If you selected the group in the previous step then you will not get the drop down box you will just go to the next step.

Select group.jpg

Fill out the information labelled.

In the location search you can use road names cities and postcodes to try and fid the marker point unfortunately its not perfectly accurate but you can also move the map around zoom in and select a point to add by clicking on the map.

Marker info.jpg

Once finished then simply click save marker and that's it you're done 

A guide to adding your own location can be found here 

To add your own location to the map you can simply fill in the location in your profile and it should pick it up if not then simply go to the Community Map

This FAQ is written for use on PC/Laptop and as such it may differ to Mobile/Tablet

Click on "My Location" 

Where you will be presented with two options click on "Update Location"

My location.png

From here you will have two options you can either "Use Current Location" or "Search for your location" 

"Use Current location" can put the map pin to exactly where you are so please use it wisely

I would recommend you search a location and just put a general location

Location search.jpg

If you find the location is not where you want it then right click on a place on the map where you would like it then click "Edit Location" and you will get a confirmation box to move it to that point

*Note that this does not currently work on mobile devices*

Edit location.png

Disclaimer: Please note that this location setting is your responsibility and The Motorbike Forum take no liability! Please use it wisely as it could expose your exact location please double check the location and if you are not happy please move it.

To add other marker please see this guide 

Please note that this FAQ is written for PC/Laptop and as such may differ for Mobile/Tablet users 

Hover over browse and in the drop down menu click on Gallery or use the link within the forum categories

Browse.png

Click on "Add Images" 

Album 1.png

You will be presented with three options click on "Create new album" 

Album 2.png

You will be then presented with the screen below where you can name the album red box at the top this is mandatory

You can give the album a description if you so wish you there is also some options in the bottom left corner 

once you have finished then click create album 

Album 3.png

The next page will then present you with this below where you can choose your files for upload. Once you have selected all the images you want then click on "submit all images" 

Album 4.png

Streams are an easy way to see the information you want to see quickly I will talk about streams more towards looking at them on a computer rather than a mobile although I will reference to mobiles where I can

The locations arrowed in this first picture is how you access streams 

Untitled1.png

On a mobile there is two points which are the default stream (unread posts) but this can be changed. More on that later there is also some streams within the menu button (three horizontal lines in the top right) 

Screenshot_20201121_201152_com.android.chrome.jpg

Clicking on any of these points will bring up the stream that it references to and once the stream is open you can see a whole host of configuration options 

Highlighted red is the stream name and the default sorting order 

Orange is the configuration options to change what is shown in the stream 

Blue is where you can change the stream to the default stream....more on that later 

Yellow is condensed or expanded use this to expand or condense the posts to get more of a view 

Untitled2.png

Creating a custom stream

To create a custom stream you can do this one of two ways. the fist is to click on "My activity streams" then click "Create new stream" 

create stream.png

Next fill out the details of the stream then save it 

stream details.png

Once you have created this stream the forum should return you to the stream itself if not you can find it under "My activity streams" then under "Custom streams" 

Test stream location.png

The other way to create a custom stream is to change the settings within any stream then simply save it 

stream config.png

Setting a stream as default

You can set any stream to the default stream and what this will do is set that to the locations pointed at in the mobile view and will override the standard stream of "unread" 

To set a stream to default simply click on the "Stream options" the click "Set as default

default.png

This will also change the stream link in the navigation bar 

test stream default.png

I hope this helps with anyone confused about it all 

To access you own topics/post is pretty simple 

if you are on a PC you can hover over your profile image pretty much anywhere on the forum and click on "Find Content" arrowed 

my content.png

This will simply bring up your content with loads of options on the left hand side to choose from 

Or if you click on your profile simply click on "See my activity" arrowed! you can use that to toggle between your profile and your activity 

my content profile.png

If you are on a mobile phone its a little different I have found the quickest way is to click on your profile image again the click the "See my activity" button that is arrowed 

Mobile my content.png

Again this is customisable by clicking the "Content type" button arrowed 

mobile content.png

Want to get back to your profile no problem just click yes you guessed it the "Profile" button arrowed 

mobile content profile.png

I hope that helps anyone having any issues :thumb: 

Would you like something adding? then feel free to post below and I will try my best to accommodate.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Hello

Trying to make an album for the gallery and attempted to follow advice given above.  I can't seem to find the 'add image' button.  On the pics above, it is shown on top right, but when I look all I see is large red Bikesure badge/link (or Sportsbikeshop in pic)  What am I doing wrong?

41e4b8c19fd3a21b004f91cf7b821ec8.jpg

Creating a photo album is a perk for forum donors :wink:

It should of let you know somewhere, if not it's probably @Stu's fault as he can be a bit lax :mrgreen:

You can subscribe here if you want to be able to create one  https://themotorbikeforum.co.uk/subscriptions/

Its only £2 and keeps the hamster in the machine running a bit longer :lol::thumb:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just noticed something of which I should probably already have been aware.

If someone posts bad news, for example "my wife just took the dog and left me", they will often get a number of sad reaction emojis from the community.

Not usually a problem, as most of us tend to be fairly upbeat.

But recently a new member has come along with a couple of posts about a technical fault and subsequent poor dealer service. 

He received a couple of expected sad faces in sympathy.

Probably unbeknownst to those giving the reactions he's now left, not only with a knackered bike, but with a reputation on the forum of minus (count them) two.Talk about rubbing salt in the wound!

I checked this with my own profile.

773 hearts

296 laughs

64 thanks

That's 1,133 reputation points, showing that although I'm not that helpful, at least my posts are sometimes entertaining.

But wait! I have 48 "sad" faces and a couple of confused ones. Taking these away from the total gives 1,072. (My actual reputation is 1,073, so can only assume I get a point for completing my profile or something).

What can we learn from this?

1. If you're going to give someone a "sad" reaction make sure you know what that does to their reputation on the forum.

2. If you're going to post a sad story about your wife leaving with your dog, throw in a funny quip about how much you miss him to keep it light.

• Like 2

I have changed it so nothing gives a negative reputation 

Sad and confused are just neutral so no plus or minus 

The rest give a plus 1

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1