Engine cuts out regularly - Suzuki Van Van (RV125)

jayabee3

On 01/01/2021 at 08:51, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

There is a Van Van forum, I've forgotten my username and password for it but there's information on there about a problem with the FI system that causes cutting out as you describe. It can be fixed without replacing the throttle body if I remember right.

It's the kind of forum you need to be a member of to view. There's also a Facebook group that is worldwide so join that and ask on there. 

Or even just try a Suzuki dealership.

Hi Mississippi Bullfrog

I've joined the FB group, nobody has come back so far saying they know about a problem with the fuel injection that causes the cutting out.. I'm waiting for the Van Van forum to approve me.  When you say "try a Suzuki dealership" do you mean ask at the dealership whether they know about it as a common problem with the fuel injection?....

If you're booking it into a workshop with a problem that is seemingly difficult to diagnose then you might want to try a Suzuki dealership as hopefully they have more experience and knowledge. Dealerships vary, some are great, others not. But if you a good one stick with them.

This sounds electrical rather than fuel, as said. Due to the FI light coming on, it might well be that, but...

I'd check the side stand switch. If it's sensing that the stand is down, it'll cut the ignition. It's bolted to the frame in a vertical orientation by your nearside foot peg with 10 / 12 mm head bolts or similar (can't remember which). It's cheap and quick to test and, if it's the issue, it save you a ton of bother.  It's connected using a green two-pin connector running laterally behind the battery under the seat towards the rear of the bike, IIRC.

Edited by Guest
Further information and waffle

On 02/01/2021 at 09:27, jayabee3 said:

How long does the Van Van forum take to approve?  I still can’t view or post anything... 

Forum registrations usually require some one to look at it and approve it, depends on how many mods they have or if it's relying on just the admin/owner to approve it.

Some are great some are crap.

• Like 1

Guest Swagman
2 hours ago, Bender said:

Forum registrations usually require some one to look at it and approve it, depends on how many mods they have or if it's relying on just the admin/owner to approve it.

Some are great some are crap.

Not saying nothing about that, I’ll leave it for Six30 or Xteme.😀🤣

• 7 months later...

Have you tried the battery?  I had a similar problem after mine was serviced.  Just cut out when I was at slow speeds.  I eventually found the battery to disconnect it so I could try a few things and as I touched the live terminal and it came off the battery and was not attached.  I chamged the battery just in case., secured it properly and have had no problems since.  I know you have probably tried this already but if not worth a look.

On 03/01/2021 at 12:25, jayabee3 said:

Hi Mississippi Bullfrog

I've joined the FB group, nobody has come back so far saying they know about a problem with the fuel injection that causes the cutting out.. I'm waiting for the Van Van forum to approve me.  When you say "try a Suzuki dealership" do you mean ask at the dealership whether they know about it as a common problem with the fuel injection?....

there is no substitute for writing things down 😏

• 10 months later...
On 25/12/2020 at 22:03, jayabee3 said:

Hi

Does anybody elses Van Van just intermittently cut out while they're riding?  It's really irritating, I've taken it to the garage for repair 5 times now, and they haven't managed to fix it...  It's in now.  I hope they can fix it this time..  I just wondered whether anyone has any ideas, even about what could be the cause, because my garage obviously can't find the cause of it.. It's an 09 reg.  I believe I am the second owner.  I've owned it since 2013 and I am based in South East London (Bermondsey).. Even any garage recommendations in my area that may be able to help, because if the current garage can't fix it this time around, maybe I should take it somewhere else?

Hope I can get some ideas/advice from here.

Look forward to hearing...

Thanks

jay

Hi! I have the exact problem with my VanVan. Have you managed to fix it somehow? What was it?