There must be an area with a hundered post but I can't find it. Currently I use my phone BUT it's always 50 meters behind. Also; my cycle sat nav can program waypoints, but my car satnav and my phone can't. That's important if you want to follow a specific route. Are there any that can do that?

Edited by Pbassred
Spelling

9 hours ago, Pbassred said:

my phone BUT it's always 50 meters behind.

Not heard of that issue - what phone which app?

TomTom GO App paid but lets you follow set routes, navigate via waypoints my present favourite. 

This thread shows most apps.

As for independent  sat nav's I have always used my phone so cannot help..

Have a look at the Beeline. It's very simple and easy to read whilst riding. 

You don't get the full screen of a sat nav - which suits me but not everyone. The only downside is that at some junctions where there are multiple turns close together you don't see a graphic which shows the whole road layout. But I've found I've adapted to understand how the arrow shows you where you're going and it is easy to glance at whilst riding the bike.

I currently use waze as main satnav. Planning to get a farming xumo sometime next year if I can go on holidays touring.
There is an app called navigator that let's you download the maps and it will work offline, so ideal for going abroad.
Both waze and navigator will allow you to add way points

11 hours ago, husoi said:

I currently use waze as main satnav.

I was debating between a dedicated satnav or phone. Got myself a phone holder, we'll see if it works on longer trips. The best satnav app IMO is Sygic - got it almost 10 years ago. The timing of spoken directions is just perfect - I don't need to look at the screen, the phone tells me what to do at the exact point when it's needed. Google maps timing is much worse.

If this stuff doesn't work, Garmin it will be...

The risk with using a phone is that vibrations could knacker the camera. This is the primary reason that I will not use my phone as an upgrade for my now antique Garmin. not least because my phone cost twice as much as the top of the range Garmin XT. I would rather buy a used, but still supported Garmin.. and they are all supported at least going back to 2009.

Edited by Gerontious

Mobile phones with navigation apps make good occasional use devices. If you are going to use a navigation device on a regular basis you should go for a dedicated bike Sat Nav, expensive but worth it in my opinion. You can go for a second hand unit to get the cost down a bit. My preference having used both Garmin and Tomtom is Tomtom. I currently have a Tomtom 550 and the Tomtom app on my phone as a back up.

I bought a cheap PAYG phone for £50 just for this purpose, I have set up Calimoto on it and with a pair of bluetooth earbuds works really well and the data usage is minimal and costs peanuts for a days riding :thumb:

Tomtom 420, had it quite some time now and can't fault it, my main gripe is how long it takes when doing map updates.  Used it in all weathers though and have found it totally reliable, I don't intend getting rid until it goes belly up, will probably get another tomtom then.

15 minutes ago, manxie49 said:

Tomtom 420, had it quite some time now and can't fault it, my main gripe is how long it takes when doing map updates.  Used it in all weathers though and have found it totally reliable, I don't intend getting rid until it goes belly up, will probably get another tomtom then.

Hi i always thought that satnavs didn't work in the IOM ?

To those that use phones for navigation and have them mounted on the bars.....

The accident was a while ago and there is a follow up post somewhere on FB. His mate is doing a crowd fund thing for him to see a band. 
He said to think twice about having your phone on the bike. 
He is paralysed and in a wheel chair. This probably would have happened but he might have been able to have called for help. 

https://www.visordown.com/news/bizarre/rider-found-after-three-days-ditch

Find my friends or locate this device might’ve worked though. 

Ive always used my phone for navigation and haven’t had any problems with it. I prefer only having one device to care for, it’s a PITA removing stuff from your bike when you stop. Rare that I use sat nav though, I prefer the get lost and find your way back type of ride, it’s also rare for me to have my phone on me because I don’t like the way it digs in when you lean forward but I suspect that’s only a problem for people who have smaller clothes cos the pockets are obviously also small and the phone barely or sometimes doesn’t fit in them. 

Edited by Slowlycatchymonkey

16 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Find my friends or locate this device might’ve worked though. 

Ive always used my phone for navigation and haven’t had any problems with it. I prefer only having one device to care for, it’s a PITA removing stuff from your bike when you stop. Rare that I use sat nav though, I prefer the get lost and find your way back type of ride, it’s also rare for me to have my phone on me because I don’t like the way it digs in when you lean forward but I suspect that’s only a problem for people who have smaller clothes cos the pockets are obviously also small and the phone barely or sometimes doesn’t fit in them. 

i have put an extra pocket in my bike leather, i used part of what i cut off on my jeans when i shortened them and fastened it to the lining (great stuff is hem-it) :thumb:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fullscreenaging said:

This probably would have happened but he might have been able to have called for help. 

Then again when I had my slide, I smashed my phone in my pocket...

When I started riding i often stuck an EPIRB (locator beacon) in my pocket. 

Could also be a reason to have Bluetooth intercom with voice control 🤨

It could go so many ways.

Edited by onesea

While we are discussing navigation and avoiding @Stu and his blatant product pushing.

Has anyone found a simple app that will sit in the background and just give a loud bleep or other noise if approaching a speed camera/ mobile camera/ average speed cameras ?

Surely by now such a simple thing can be available for us even when we don`t wat to be using a satnav.

Cheers

Ian

1 minute ago, Ian Frog said:

While we are discussing navigation and avoiding @Stu and his blatant product pushing.

Has anyone found a simple app that will sit in the background and just give a loud bleep or other noise if approaching a speed camera/ mobile camera/ average speed cameras ?

Surely by now such a simple thing can be available for us even when we don`t wat to be using a satnav.

Cheers

Ian

Yes!! 

My sat nav does it :popcorn: 

57 minutes ago, Ian Frog said:

Cheers

Ian

https://www.cameralert.com/

2 hours ago, Ian Frog said:

Tomtom Amigo

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/amigo/

Free and you can make it activate when connected to certain bluetooth devices IE your car or headset.  Battery drain is low if screen not on.
Very nag free unless you need it.  If you have screen on it will give you your average speed through average speed limits as well.

7 minutes ago, rob m said:

Get on FB marketplace, I bought a Garmin Zumo 220 with all the accessories for £70. Plugged it into my PC it upgraded all the software and maps for free. Bargain. 

:stupid:

Search for a garmin 590 thats for sale in Hull! 

:lol:

• Like 1