58 minutes ago, raesewell said:

I have it on a Samsung S8 which works OK

Unfortunately my Samsung S10 says app no longer up to date Grr !

Thanks for the suggestion anyway I will continue to search.

Cheers

Ian

3 hours ago, Ian Frog said:

Unfortunately my Samsung S10 says app no longer up to date Grr !

Thanks for the suggestion anyway I will continue to search.

Cheers

Ian

Read up I left a link TomTomAmigo. 

A cracking app.

On 27/12/2020 at 11:19, skyrider said:

Hi i always thought that satnavs didn't work in the IOM ?

You're right, they never used to work here, the only one's that did were Garmin.  Tomtom works fine now, I presume it was some sort of upgrade on the newer ones.  I only ever use use it off island though.  On island I use something called Satmap when of roading, helps keep me on the green lanes and prevents me going off piste and generating complaints.

1 hour ago, manxie49 said:

You're right, they never used to work here, the only one's that did were Garmin.  Tomtom works fine now, I presume it was some sort of upgrade on the newer ones.  I only ever use use it off island though.  On island I use something called Satmap when of roading, helps keep me on the green lanes and prevents me going off piste and generating complaints.

yes i had heard that sometimes there are complaints about off roaders 

1 hour ago, skyrider said:

yes i had heard that sometimes there are complaints about off roaders 

More common,  most of the complaints are complete crap though .... I do appreciate people complaining about the bikers who go off piste though, ripping up private land, it would piss me off if I was the land owner as well.  Most off roaders I find are pretty good.

• 10 months later...

So after a year of trying different ones out, I've finally come up with a solution that works for me.

1. Use the phone, not a sat nav. 

A sat nav needs permanent wiring, but I can simply plug the phone into a USB port. And it will give hours of navigation even if I want to run it just on the battery. Additional pluses are: no more downloading routes to the unit (and seeing them all change when I do), and one fewer thing to faff about.

2. Put the phone in a waterproof case

I've got a waterproof universal phone case from ultimateaddons. I've tested in very wet Scottish rain and it perfect. There's a bit of glare from the cover, but not too bad.

3. Use MRA

I've bought 3 years of MRA Navigation for £36. I can create routes on the laptop using MRA's mapping app (which about as easy to use as google maps), and they appear automatically on the phone, unchanged. No downloading, no sending to device. Routes are literally A to Z, plus all the letters in between, meaning you can have up to 24 waypoints - usually more than enough. If I wanted, I could pay more and have the option of using HERE maps rather than openstreetmap, but so far I've not found any reason to.

When navigating, the map is clear, with easy-to-follow directions. Voice commands are clear and timely. You can set up the route to carry on automatically to the next waypoint if you miss one out - great when you go wrong or when a road is closed. 

Other apps I've tried that didn't do it for me:

Sygic would take my route from the laptop, and it would appear on the phone as a mess of crazy diversions that defied any logic. I found it unworkable.

TomTom had a list of random Suffolk lanes that it refused to let me go down. They were all narrow lanes, so I guess it decide to avoid routing people down them, as they weren't very suitable for large cars. There was no way round this; so I couldn't use it for local days out.

Google maps insists on making you press "Continue" at every waypoint, and won't drop a waypoints if you miss it. 

Waze is great for A to B, but doesn't handle waypoints and doesn't work offline.

I tried a couple of others, "Map Factor Navigation" and "NavMii"; they both had a confusing UI and I couldn't get them to do what I wanted.

I've tried Calimoto and Tourstart, but neither had the convenience of MRA when it came to planning routes.

Didn't try CoPilot GPS, as I couln't get a trial licence. 

• Like 1

I use a Tomtom smart 50.it gives you a choice of route selection, way points, you can choose between car, bike, pushbike and walking. 

I added a small speaker jack, allowing the use of ear buds or a external speaker so you can here the commands, (normal speaker outlet is on rear of unit). I also have a twin USB outlet on bike with two different output voltages so both phone or satnav can be charged while in use. 

Satnav sits in a dedicated waterproof case from Givi, and fits to a Givi holder, so I can remove it easily when parked up

Just now, Gerontious said:

decisions decisions.. should I carry on using my very old (2009) sat nav that works perfectly and isn't worth much. or my £1200 iPhone.

its a tough one that. 😆

And also risk shafting the iPhone camera due to vibrations from the bike 

41 minutes ago, Stu said:

And also risk shafting the iPhone camera due to vibrations from the bike 

Oddly enough, my sole reason for trading up was the new camera system. think Im going to risk that?

no.

Nor am I going to buy a second phone and then have the palaver of mounting it and powering it, when the Zumo is already mounted and powered. (though that was a very simple job)

Was a recent post on a touring group from a chap who was using his phone as his sat nav, it flew away on the autostrada and was never seen again. not only did he lose his navigation. he also lost 'everything' that was stored on that phone. imagine.

"eggs in one basket" comes to mind.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gerontious said:

Oddly enough, my sole reason for trading up was the new camera system. think Im going to risk that?

no.

Nor am I going to buy a second phone and then have the palaver of mounting it and powering it, when the Zumo is already mounted and powered. (though that was a very simple job)

Was a recent post on a touring group from a chap who was using his phone as his sat nav, it flew away on the autostrada and was never seen again. not only did he lose his navigation. he also lost 'everything' that was stored on that phone. imagine.

There is a lot of complaints about the cameras dying on the iPhone when mounted to a bike due to the vibrations! 

I have my Samsung mounted using a quadlock mount with a vibration damper but I don't use it for the sat nav but I can if I want to as I wanted a back up for touring and as you say eggs in one basket! I didn't want to solely rely on a sat nav as when we was riding in to Poland a few years ago my tomtom rider decided it didn't want to charge any more! resulting one useless sat nav after around 4 hours. 

After that I thought I am having a back up 

20 minutes ago, Stu said:

There is a lot of complaints about the cameras dying on the iPhone when mounted to a bike due to the vibrations! 

I have my Samsung mounted using a quadlock mount with a vibration damper but I don't use it for the sat nav but I can if I want to as I wanted a back up for touring and as you say eggs in one basket! I didn't want to solely rely on a sat nav as when we was riding in to Poland a few years ago my tomtom rider decided it didn't want to charge any more! resulting one useless sat nav after around 4 hours. 

After that I thought I am having a back up 

The iPhone add says to not use it without an anti vibration mount and not for extended periods and not on high power bikes, why they bothered showing it being used on a bike at all is beyond me. 

• Haha 1

I use a TomTom that has its mounting wired in to a dedicated sat nav cable installed by manufacturer. The actual satnav just slides on so I can remove it as required. It Bluetooth connects with my phone so if traffic conditions get worse it can flag this and offer alternative routes.  Works well and my phone is kept separate.

On 14/11/2021 at 19:43, Gerontious said:

no.

But with an iPhone you shouldn’t lose anything. (except the phone)

9 hours ago, DuRavary said:

But with an iPhone you shouldn’t lose anything. (except the phone)

You're right. if I have an iCloud plan with everything backed up to it. But, that doesn't help me much in a foreign country.. with no phone and therefore no access to my iCloud account. Can I buy a replacement for it in Italy? possibly. if I have the cash.. but then there is getting it set up and running. able to make calls and use data without my unlimited SIM card. just a bit of a nightmare all round.

1 hour ago, Gerontious said:

You're right. if I have an iCloud plan with everything backed up to it. But, that doesn't help me much in a foreign country.. with no phone and therefore no access to my iCloud account. Can I buy a replacement for it in Italy? possibly. if I have the cash.. but then there is getting it set up and running. able to make calls and use data without my unlimited SIM card. just a bit of a nightmare all round.

OK it would be a pain in the neck but not the total disaster that you made it out to be. I haven’t been to Italy for a couple of years but last time I was there it was a first world country with shops, good 4G coverage and lots of free Wifi. Perhaps it’s imploded since Brexit but I’d be surprised if I couldn’t replace and reconfigure my phone there. Not that it would worry me as I tend to have a second mobile phone, a waterproof Samsung and my iPad with me as well as my iPhone when touring. 😀 It did make the good beginnings to a horror story though. 6/10 for effort. 

Edited by DuRavary

7 hours ago, DuRavary said:

OK it would be a pain in the neck but not the total disaster that you made it out to be. I haven’t been to Italy for a couple of years but last time I was there it was a first world country with shops, good 4G coverage and lots of free Wifi. Perhaps it’s imploded since Brexit but I’d be surprised if I couldn’t replace and reconfigure my phone there. Not that it would worry me as I tend to have a second mobile phone, a waterproof Samsung and my iPad with me as well as my iPhone when touring. 😀 It did make the good beginnings to a horror story though. 6/10 for effort. 

It would be a disaster. absolutely it would. In the short term until I got home again. Which is another reason I don't put it at risk, I have no need to, I use my Zumo for navigation. Obviously you are talking about yourself and not me. We appear to be quite different. shops? yes. shops that would sell me an iPhone. (assuming I could afford one - which is hard to imagine.) probably not.. without a major journey. Free wifi? never seen that.. never. aside from when I stopped at a MacDonalds and that was more than 50 miles from where I was staying. I was in Italy last year. 4G coverage.. even that's a rarity. the amounts of times I got the phone out to check it, no signal. the one time we needed a signal it didn't exist, we had to go find a landline. All this is a side effect of the sorts of places we go to, when we go further afield than our usual haunt, on the western fringe of Germany.

so, you can talk about yourself, that's fine. But, I'm betting that there are a few on here who would feel rather queezy about the idea of losing their phone. iOS or Android in a foreign country. which was not only their primary internet/phone device but also their means of navigation.

The fella I mentioned was forced to return home immediately. Have no idea of what type he had. but losing it meant the end of his holiday. For him it was a total disaster, but he isn't you either.

Edited by Gerontious

34 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

It would be a disaster. absolutely it would. In the short term until I got home again. Which is another reason I don't put it at risk, I have no need to, I use my Zumo for navigation. Obviously you are talking about yourself and not me. We appear to be quite different. shops? yes. shops that would sell me an iPhone. (assuming I could afford one - which is hard to imagine.) probably not.. without a major journey. Free wifi? never seen that.. never. aside from when I stopped at a MacDonalds and that was more than 50 miles from where I was staying. I was in Italy last year. 4G coverage.. even that's a rarity. the amounts of times I got the phone out to check it, no signal. the one time we needed a signal it didn't exist, we had to go find a landline. All this is a side effect of the sorts of places we go to, when we go further afield than our usual haunt, on the western fringe of Germany.

so, you can talk about yourself, that's fine. But, I'm betting that there are a few on here who would feel rather queezy about the idea of losing their phone. iOS or Android in a foreign country. which was not only their primary internet/phone device but also their means of navigation.

The fella I mentioned was forced to return home immediately. Have no idea of what type he had. but losing it meant the end of his holiday. For him it was a total disaster, but he isn't you either.

I was simply pointing out that I disagreed with your post that you would lose everything if you lost your phone. That’s simply not true. I can talk about myself but I can also talk about other travellers who use the same hardware that I use. You seem to be making a mountain out of a molehill. Your eggs in one basket comment was incorrect. You obviously live in another world from me, I certainly wouldn’t spend £1200 on a phone. 

Edited by DuRavary