Challenge 2021 - Discussion Thread

Hoggs

3 hours ago, mike_smith said:

Hello

I am just finalising my tour of Scotland. This is a picture of the lat/long co-ordinates for Glenfinnan Railway Development Museum from Google earth- it looks like a private house.

Is this the picture you want or do you mean the nearby Glenfinnan Railway Museum at the railway station?

Glenfinnan.thumb.jpg.cea701702d56ac0cdb29003a0b9ae201.jpg

The museum is at the railway station. Have a look at the roads on google maps. There is a sign to the museum on the A830

39 minutes ago, JRH said:

The museum is at the railway station. Have a look at the roads on google maps. There is a sign to the museum on the A830

Yes the Glenfinnan Railway Museum is at the railway station. But from Google Maps using the lat/long co-ordinated Google maps shows the Glenfinnan Railway Museum Development Project to be in a private  house in a side road off the A830. I will take photos of both of them to be on the safe side but it would be nice to now which is the actual landmark.

google map screenprint.png

4 hours ago, mike_smith said:

Yes the Glenfinnan Railway Museum is at the railway station. But from Google Maps using the lat/long co-ordinated Google maps shows the Glenfinnan Railway Museum Development Project to be in a private  house in a side road off the A830. I will take photos of both of them to be on the safe side but it would be nice to now which is the actual landmark.

The actual landmark is the building that says "Glenfinnan Railway Museum" somewhere on it. But if you get a picture of the owners of the house in their driveway I'll give you 10 bonus points. 

• Haha 1

In other news I did finally get round to updating an altenative tag for the Prospect Tea rooms (North wales) which Mike informed me had closed, so there now is the Sun Trevor pub just down the road. 

• Like 1

@Hoggs It appears that “Fancy tea @ Spitfire cafe” Swindon has permanently closed and is now ‘TJ’s Cafe’

73DC50BC-C242-4FD0-A45C-8F40A77C6D22.thumb.jpeg.f66d89697e9865922e2afb96d28edea1.jpeg

Apologies if someone else has already spotted this & I’ve missed the post.

Edited by Mickly
Added Hoggs
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mickly said:

@Hoggs It appears that “Fancy tea @ Spitfire cafe” Swindon has permanently closed and is now ‘TJ’s Cafe’

Apologies if someone else has already spotted this & I’ve missed the post.

Awesome thanks @Mickly sadly I'm a bit limited by the internet on the validity of the tags! obviously this totally counts and I'll get the map updated over the weekend 👍

5 minutes ago, oldgrump said:

Hi @Hoggs,  add another one to your list,  the Feed Bucket Cafe, is now called the Canel Side Cafe😂.

Jezuz anyone would have thought there'd have been some kind of negative small business impacting global event occurring with all these changes.

noted, points count will update when I'm sober (possibly not this year)

• Like 1

Off to Scotland tomorrow.

All hotels booked

New front tyre fitted will probably need a new back tyre when I get back.

Fresh oil & filter in.

Alarm set for 3am on the road by 4am weather looks ok

will do circa 2000 miles over a week

"You dont need an adventure bike to have an adventure"

• Like 5

18 hours ago, mike_smith said:

Off to Scotland tomorrow.

All hotels booked

New front tyre fitted will probably need a new back tyre when I get back.

Fresh oil & filter in.

Alarm set for 3am on the road by 4am weather looks ok

will do circa 2000 miles over a week

"You dont need an adventure bike to have an adventure"

safe travels Mike! 👍

• 3 weeks later...

I finally found boreatton park! It's about 3 miles further down the lane/track than my phone twatnav said it was!

They've put some new signs up now so it's easier :thumb:

Tips! The entrance to British Ironworks is all coned off at the moment but it is still open!

The entrance/car park to The Sun @ Trevor is very steep/uneven! You're better off stopping in the flat lay-by like @Stu did!

(We know how he likes lay-bys :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, rennie said:

The entrance/car park to The Sun @ Trevor is very steep/uneven! You're better off stopping in the flat lay-by like Stu did!

(We know how he likes lay-bys :classic_biggrin:

Yes it is a bit steep! Hence why I stopped where I did! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rennie said:

I went up the car park! reckon I'd have dropped it if I was 2-up!

had to do a lot of jiggerypokery to get back down on the flat! :classic_biggrin:

I was two up on a new bike so I gave it a miss! 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...