Scotland west coast

husoi

So I'm fed up with being at home. 🤨

2019 tried to do the 1200 miles on west coast but after Ullapool and being almost eaten by the midges and even worse the wife going on about the cold, rain, wind (not my wind :P ) etc. decided to head home.

This year, having the trailer (first touring trip with it) and going to buy several gallons of smidge I'll be heading again.

The idea is to leave Fife very early morning heading to Lochgilphead.

Then head to Oban, Fort Williams, Invergarry, Applecross taking the anticlockwise route around the peninsula, up to Ullapool, Durness, Thurso, Inverness either via John O'Groats or directly(ish) via Wick.

Then either down the A9 back home or Down to Spean bridge then heading east back to starting point.

Will be camping all the way and it should take around 1 week (Sat to Sat).

Date will start on Covid restrictions but realistically early May to avoid midge season or June risking using all the smidge sprays.

If anyone is interested in coming along, drop me a line.

image.png.dae2f0614d897368cfb56dcd8cd4c871.png

• Like 1

13 hours ago, husoi said:

Nothing prevents others to say in hotel/B&B while I'll be camping then meeting up for breakfast...

if we're not allowed to travel abroad at that point I may join ya ........ my plan is to go through France, ferry to Corsica and then to Sardinia and then back starting 15 may ........ finishing at the end of may.  So if that's cancelled I'll be looking for something to do in the uk ........ but won't know till last minute so don't count on me lol

• Like 1

The only reason I haven't is because I've been to Campbeltown and Rothesay a few times and it will add a considerable amount of time to the trip.

Those 2 peninsulae I find it better to do it on a 1 day trip instead.

• Like 1

Just now, Bender said:

At the mo you need a negative test to get out of Scotland to UK, don't know if they want one to get in.

Not wanting to be pedantic but Scotland is (for now) still in the UK :P 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i`ve done this route or a variation of .. the goat treks  from John O'Groats to Applecross are crowded at the best of time.. they will be rammed this year..  making the journey a marathon particularly with the machinery you have listed in your profile .. take plenty of coin too because  Rob Roy MacGregor..  will be pleased to see your English credit card .. 

theif.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For those thinking of doing this and staying in hotels if I may add my two penny worth.

I’m on two forums (this and one other), a Facebook touring page, as well as discussions with my mates in East Anglia. There is a common theme about touring and that’s if overseas travel isn’t permitted then they’re heading to the NC500. Even a former work colleague is heading up there in her car. 

My advice, then, is to make sure you have somewhere to rest your weary head long before you go. We struggled to get accommodation for August when looking in February in 2016, and that was without the added numbers heading there should overseas travel be impractical.

And, yes, we’re heading up that way but we’re couchsurfing on the kids sofas and, we hope, with former colleagues.