To filter or not to filter?

husoi

I think a lot of this is dependant on whether you ride to work in commuter traffic or not ........ I always did so wouldn't think twice about filtering, hubby didn't usually travel at peak times ........ he'd filter, but not automatically

• Like 1

I pretty much started filtering quite soon after getting back on a bike, St Georges Bridge during rush hour can take what feels like hours to get through, it's not very long maybe a third of mile between the two roundabouts, but it is one of the main arteries going in and out of Donny, if you want to make any progress when it's busy you have no choice but to filter :thumb:

Personally, if I can filter (legally) then I filter. I don’t want to be sat in a line of traffic in rush hour with hundreds of irritated car drivers all jostling to get one car ahead. I prefer to sensibly filter to the front, then take off when the lights change. As far as I’m concerned, filtering (properly) is safer than sitting in a queue.

• Like 2

I was taught to filter by my instructor, when I was doing DAS. We'd get caught in the evening rush hour, and he'd talk me through everything to look out for as we filtered through. Good way to learn. 

• Like 2

Filter with care when it is safe to do so - Be VERY aware of potential 'lane swappers'. Be polite and acknowledge those who move over to give you more room (if safe). If the traffic is stationary (and has been for a while) - Watch out for curious folk who will open the door to get out and have a look (but not behind them!).

Stay safe and filter.

🏍️ 

• Like 1

Filter where safe to do so. Except when my good lady is on the back. She hates it when I filter, and I can hear a growling from the pillion seat (even with intercom switched off) when I do. On one of our trips to the Goodwood Festival of Speed, she was flying from Heathrow the day after, so we dropped her bags off at her hotel near the airport and rode to Goodwood from there. The M25 was a traffic jam, so I ended up filtering for close on 11 miles with a severely disgruntled pillion. It cost me an expensive meal in the hotel  ear Goodwood to placate her. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 08/01/2021 at 08:21, husoi said:

Actually, you are not supposed to filter through traffic... :) 

Let's not lose sight of the fact that filtering is seen by the law as overtaking. So, all the caveats and restrictions and warnings about being observant, etc,  that apply to overtaking, apply to the special type of overtaking commonly referred to as filtering. There have been numerous cases through the courts over many years that reinforce this view, i.e. filtering is perfectly legal provided it is done with regard to other road-users and in a safe and controlled manner.

Living as I do in SE England and having to travel frequently in London, if I couldn't filter there would be no point in having a motorcycle!

1 hour ago, Steve_M said:

Filter where safe to do so. Except when my good lady is on the back. She hates it when I filter, and I can hear a growling from the pillion seat (even with intercom switched off) when I do. On one of our trips to the Goodwood Festival of Speed, she was flying from Heathrow the day after, so we dropped her bags off at her hotel near the airport and rode to Goodwood from there. The M25 was a traffic jam, so I ended up filtering for close on 11 miles with a severely disgruntled pillion. It cost me an expensive meal in the hotel  ear Goodwood to placate her. 

On my limited filtering excursions with the oh as pillion she's been fine, got passed and through loads of traffic on the 69 after it was closed due to accident and helicopter using other carriageway, was an officer at front of queue keeping roundabout closed, came over, ohhh thought me here we go, he just had a bit chat and when it was clear kept the other cars stationary and waved us off, thinking about it He's was very pleasant for a traffic cop

10 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Another tip, be aware that drivers of HGVs have very limited view of what is going on close to their vehicle. Don't tuck in in front of a HGV thinking the driver knows you are there. You may well be in their blind spot.

I commute every day on the MT07 (until covid19) which also meant filtering on every commute. Part of my route is on the A580 which is a very busy and dangerous road at times, when I filter through the traffic and make my way to the front at traffic lights, if I pull in front of an HGV I always turn around and make sure the driver has seen me or I acknowledge the driver with a 👍.  Bike safe course every year for me, my commuting has left a lot to be desired in the past. 

2 hours ago, Steve_M said:

Filter where safe to do so. Except when my good lady is on the back. She hates it when I filter, and I can hear a growling from the pillion seat (even with intercom switched off) when I do. 

Mines like that, then one day we had to get to a shop before it shut. 
I warned her I would not be hanging around.  Made sure cars new I was coming past like it or not, arriving in mirrors quick.  You know story making your presence known, so cars pull over and let you buy.   Instead of sitting back waiting for opportunities,  when we hit slow moving traffic I rode into it making spaces non of the gentle car by car stuff.

We arrived a couple of minutes early she had a big grin on her face, my only response was, now you know how easy it is to ride a bike like a dick.

She still hates filtering.

3 hours ago, Steve_M said:

you will know for next time :classic_huh: