Cheap car wanted

1 minute ago, Trooper74 said:

Toyota Aygo manual .... get the oldest one you can for the least money ... their bomb proof ..

Thought about that but think it may get be a bit tight on space with the crap I have to carry around.

2 minutes ago, Trooper74 said:

Julie manages to carry 3 children and herself and the shopping about in hers ,,, dont get an auto !!!

Will take another look as long as I don't have to take children around in it 🤮

I get 3 bag for life sized bags in the boot of my Aygo if I squash them a bit. Any more than that and I have to lower back seats. Running costs are ridiculously cheap for mine,as its a 2016 plate it has no tax, £21 a month insurance. A full tank is approx £39 and gets you around 250 miles.

I wouldn't get one if you are planning a lot of motorways though as I think it would get tiresome quite quickly. 

38 minutes ago, goat said:

Hmmm, organise to see car, murder six with his golf clubs, free car and room for three more bodies 🤔. That's got me thinking.

Yes! go for it! I need the wardrobe space! :thumb:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

I get 3 bag for life sized bags in the boot of my Aygo if I squash them a bit. Any more than that and I have to lower back seats. Running costs are ridiculously cheap for mine,as its a 2016 plate it has no tax, £21 a month insurance. A full tank is approx £39 and gets you around 250 miles.

I wouldn't get one if you are planning a lot of motorways though as I think it would get tiresome quite quickly. 

Yeah that would be too small realistically.

I've got a 61 plate Astra 1.7 diesel atm.

Can't really fault it! no real wow factor but cheap to run.

It's the 123bhp. 6 speed, £30 a year tax version and is sensible!

Don't know if you could get 1 for your budget:scratch:

16 minutes ago, James in Brum said:

We have a 2004 Corolla 160000 miles, just went through the mot without advisories again as it has for the 110000 miles and 6 years we have had he car. 
not selling but by crikey I would recommend it. D4d bomb proof engine.

passed my test in a corolla in 1980

46 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

A full tank is approx £39 and gets you around 250 miles.

You wot? :shock:

£75 of fuel gets me 650 - 700 miles in ridiculous comfort with 300+bhp on tap. Plus all the bodies from the weekend's shenanigans in the boot.

@goat What about an older V70 diesel? They can be had for peanuts. 

• Like 2

for 1500 quid you could easily get an Audi A4 with the 1.9 TDI PD motor you want! 

Although I would probably opt for the VW passat with the same engine as you would get more for your money 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bender said:

How much stuff are you carrying? 

Not loads but Boots, couple of rucksacks, laptop, printer, ppe, couple of storage tubs, water, various odds and sods, possibly a ladder at some point. Want it all in the boot not left on seats rattling about and easy to root through to get what I need. Would also like something that is useful at weekends for a bit of load lugging since our current car has zero practicality.

4 minutes ago, goat said:

Not loads but Boots, couple of rucksacks, laptop, printer, ppe, couple of storage tubs, water, various odds and sods, possibly a ladder at some point. Want it all in the boot not left on seats rattling about and easy to root through to get what I need. Would also like something that is useful at weekends for a bit of load lugging since our current car has zero practicality.

I would be looking at estate with load bay cover, although some cars do have large boots, it's surprising how quick space dissappears.

My Mrs has a BMW  120d 2005, which are estate like but not too big.

£150 tax and cheap to insure, 40mpg around town and 50+ on a run. 166hp so goes well.

Had ours for nearly 3 years and done little but routine servicing.

Pre 2006 have the bomb proof M47 engine,  later have the cam chain eating N47 engine.

Should be some within £1500 budget

1 hour ago, Bianco2564 said:

My Mrs has a BMW  120d 2005, which are estate like but not too big.

£150 tax and cheap to insure, 40mpg around town and 50+ on a run. 166hp so goes well.

Had ours for nearly 3 years and done little but routine servicing.

Pre 2006 have the bomb proof M47 engine,  later have the cam chain eating N47 engine.

Should be some within £1500 budget

My brother mentioned these. Have had a wee look on auto trader etc. And not much out there in budget but will add to list. More options I have the better.

This’ll not go down well in some quarters but I’d avoid an old diesel. I have a diesel I’m loathed to part with but the current zeitgeist means everywhere has emissions targets and congested areas intend to achieve their targets by introducing congestion charging. London and Birmingham are just the start. Bristol council last year voted through banning diesels from the city centre from 2022 so unless I want to pay a whopping charge to drive in my car there it has to go. If you’re never intending on driving into a congested area that may be introducing congestion charging in the near future then dandy. Then again rules vary and if it’s old you might get charged anyway!

Personally I think I should get shot of mine while I can get reasonable money for it, once it becomes a car you can only drive in certain places without incurring charges it’s not gonna have a lot of value. Trouble is I’m fond of it. 

BTW I know this is off topic but did the fuel get transferred without giving you a dousing? 😂

2 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

This’ll not go down well in some quarters but I’d avoid an old diesel. I have a diesel I’m loathed to part with but the current zeitgeist means everywhere has emissions targets and congested areas intend to achieve their targets by introducing congestion charging. London and Birmingham are just the start. Bristol council last year voted through banning diesels from the city centre from 2022 so unless I want to pay a whopping charge to drive in my car there it has to go. If you’re never intending on driving into a congested area that may be introducing congestion charging in the near future then dandy. Then again rules vary and if it’s old you might get charged anyway!

Personally I think I should get shot of mine while I can get reasonable money for it, once it becomes a car you can only drive in certain places without incurring charges it’s not gonna have a lot of value. Trouble is I’m fond of it. 

BTW I know this is off topic but did the fuel get transferred without giving you a dousing? 😂

Diesel issue shouldn't affect as all country roads. Heating oil sorted, I'll update the other thread.

20 hours ago, Mr Fro said:

You wot? :shock:

£75 of fuel gets me 650 - 700 miles in ridiculous comfort with 300+bhp on tap. Plus all the bodies from the weekend's shenanigans in the boot.

@goat What about an older V70 diesel? They can be had for peanuts. 

What’re you driving to get that mpg and power combo!