Halogen headlamp convert to HID or LED

Pie man

This topic has no doubt been covered several times however FYI 4.1.4 comes into effect on the 1st Feb 2021 If such a conversion has been done, the ATC must fail the headlamp. My local garaged messaged me to say apparently VOSA will be very hot on this and as an mot testing centre they will have no choice as to implement the regulation change.   

Edited by Pie man
  • Like 1

Its amazing what some testers will pass and others are sticklers about!  My bike numberplate was fine for a few years until one tester decided to look at the spacing between the letters and find it did not meet regulations! :roll:

6 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

Its amazing what some testers will pass and others are sticklers about!  My bike numberplate was fine for a few years until one tester decided to look at the spacing between the letters and find it did not meet regulations! :roll:

Bike passed me last week, number plate would only be visible from helicopter, even then it was roughly 4 inches, was beyond silly.

• Like 1

I've never understood the point of those tiny plates. You are just inviting yourself to get pulled by Police. And if I was a copper, upon seeing that I'd be double checking everything else while I was there too :roll:

• Like 2

Funniest I’ve ever seen was a plate on a Harley. It was an outrigger so to the side of the rear wheel rather than above it. Fair enough you might say. However the owner had turned it 90 degrees. So the digits were on their side. I also see a lot of old style black and silver plates on bikes like the Thruxton. Old style bikes with an even older style plate that became illegal in 1973!!

I like them, the black and white plates I mean not the daft way stupidly tiny plates are mounted. 
I wonder what other countries insist on yellow n black?

The Indian number plates are so small you can’t read them unless really close. In Tibet you have to slow down to 5 mph every time there’s a camera (and there’s a lot) because big brothers number plate recognition doesn’t work on the tiny letters if you go any faster 😂

8 hours ago, Gerontious said:

Funniest I’ve ever seen was a plate on a Harley. It was an outrigger so to the side of the rear wheel rather than above it. Fair enough you might say. However the owner had turned it 90 degrees. So the digits were on their side. I also see a lot of old style black and silver plates on bikes like the Thruxton. Old style bikes with an even older style plate that became illegal in 1973!!

Black and white plates may be used on a classic vehicle which is tax and MOT exempt. Since this is now back to being a rolling date I think it's anything over 40 years old may legally use black and white plates. The date was locked at 1973 for several years but this changed about four years ago.

8 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Black and white plates may be used on a classic vehicle which is tax and MOT exempt. Since this is now back to being a rolling date I think it's anything over 40 years old may legally use black and white plates. The date was locked at 1973 for several years but this changed about four years ago.

well..  I wasn't talking about old vehicles.

but as for older vehicles (if you insist)

There was never a change in law. back and silver plates became illegal on vehicles from 1-1-73.

what did happen in 2015 was a change in tax rules and that provided a loophole or what DVLA prefer to call an "unintended consequence".

but this has been noticed now and they are going to rectify this loophole 

through a legal correction which will shortly be implemented. The change seeks to prevent any vehicle constructed after 1 January 1980 from the ability to display the black and silver number plate despite being recorded in the DVLA’s historic tax class. Those vehicles with a construction date prior to 1 January 1980 will continue to be able to legally display black and silver number plates to avoid any undue costs of replacement.

10 hours ago, Gerontious said:

Side mount number plate brackets are all the rage among the modification brigade of Harley owners . It's usually done because they have hacked the back end off including the Fender Struts *. I could be wrong but I believe these plates are hinged to fold back possibly because the bike has been " Slammed " ( Lowered ) and the plate might hit the ground when either cornering or when resting on the Side Stand . I can't criticize too loudly because I have tidied the back end if my Harley with a flattened LED Tail Light and a " Lay back " number plate bracket with a 7" X 5" plate .                      * Mudguard supports 

14 hours ago, Tiggie said:

I've never understood the point of those tiny plates. You are just inviting yourself to get pulled by Police.

I am with you on that.

However I would line to replace both my plates with ones that are just legal.

Someone has done it to (by hand you can tell) one of mine is clear and looks neat.

I am struggling to find someone who can make one legal to the mm, with no logos etc.

You want a small show plate no I want small but legal plate.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, onesea said:

I am with you on that.

Someone has done it to (by hand you can tell) one of mine is clear and looks neat.

I am struggling to find someone who can make one legal to the mm, with no logos etc.

have you tried a bike shop ?

1 hour ago, onesea said:

I am with you on that.

Try these guys.

Got the trailer plate from them and it a very decent plate. Nothing fancy but can't argue with £10..

https://www.onestopnumberplates.co.uk/

Edited by husoi

8 hours ago, husoi said:

WTF is 4.1.4? 🤔

basically .. if your bike is fitted with a halogen headlight bulb and you fit an HID or LED bulb or assembly then the bike will fail the mot. the problem bein the headlight reflectors / fluting is not suitable to have an LED or HID .. if you want LED or HID you must replace the whole unit with some thing that is designed and approved for use on a motorcycle with HID or LED fitments ..   

20 hours ago, Pie man said:

This topic has no doubt been covered several times however FYI 4.1.4 comes into effect on the 1st Feb 2021 If such a conversion has been done, the ATC must fail the headlamp. My local garaged messaged me to say apparently VOSA will be very hot on this and as an mot testing centre they will have no choice as to implement the regulation change.   

GOOD !!!   and not before time .. and yes i have LED lights on my bike .. they came fitted as standard. 

4 hours ago, onesea said:

I am with you on that.

Give this guy a PM on facebook

https://www.facebook.com/keith.edleston/

he made a very good copy of my original 1980 Z500 one with the original dealer name etc, but may do one with no logos etc.

Rob

8 minutes ago, Pie man said:

I'm unsure of the regulations. Is that not a complete unit anyway . I think it refers to folks removing the halogen lamp/bulb and installing the LED lamp/bulb in its place. Not entirely sure

Nor am I , I'll have to look into it. The best thing to do is ring the MOT station I guess . 

"4.1.4 Headlamps - Compliance with requirements - Sentence changed from 'Some motorcycles may be fitted with high intensity discharge (HID) headlamps. Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.' to 'Some motorcycles may be fitted with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) headlamps. Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID or LED bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp."

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-motorcycles/updates

Edited by KiwiBob
  • Thanks 1

So if you want LED's (the ones complying with EU and BS standards) you will have to refit original ones before the MOT.

question..

What happens when they stop or never manufactured headlamp casings for bikes dedicated to LED or HID? 

What will happen when they stop making halogen bulbs?

Personally I don't really like LED light, have it on my EV but they are to white for my taste. And I can't be bothered with changing the bulbs every year just to make it through.

It will be another money making for garages replacing bulbs that they will fail on purpose.

Note that I would agree with this rule if it would say that the reason to fail would be a non compliance with the standards. too many idiots fitting idiotic bulbs without knowing what they are doing..