Halogen headlamp convert to HID or LED

Pie man

The lighting on my bike is almost entirely LED, aside from (oddly) the number plate light which is a standard bulb. putting it mildly, Im very pleased about this as the LEDs have a lifespan of >10,000 hours, so little or no worry about carrying spares when away. or at home. and as each LED isn separate if one goes dead it doesn't affect the overall light.

the only downside is that if in the future there is a failure of the entire light then then the unit has to be replaced and that's not cheap for the headlight in particular. hopefully there will be a cheaper after market solution if that ever happens.

I think you should disregard HID as they were never legal for headlamps. fine for auxiliary lights as these are not part of the MOT. but definitely not appropriate as replacement for the main headlamp.. though people did seem to ignore that fact.

I wouldn't worry so much about the eventual disappearance of halogen bulb as there will be a replacement using some alternative technology. too many vehicles etc are on the road for them to be rendered obsolete for want of a light bulb.

If you want extra lights then go for LED. as 'extras' these are not part of the MOT and the colour of the light doesn't matter, you can have them always on or switched to come on by choice. you can now buy LEDs that operate at different colour temperatures. so can match the yellowish tinge if you so desire. My own bike has orange running lights that contrast nicely with the brilliant pure white of the rest.

Edited by Gerontious

18 hours ago, Copycat73 said:

basically .. if your bike is fitted with a halogen headlight bulb and you fit an HID or LED bulb or assembly then the bike will fail the mot. the problem bein the headlight reflectors / fluting is not suitable to have an LED or HID .. if you want LED or HID you must replace the whole unit with some thing that is designed and approved for use on a motorcycle with HID or LED fitments ..   

I'm thinking of getting a sv650 for commuting but I don't like the headlight.

Are you saying if I take out the existing bulb and stick an led in it is illegal but if I replace the whole thing with something like in the link below then it is ok? Presuming that it is marked ok for road use etc.

https://www.ledperf.co.uk/led-headlight-for-suzuki-sv-650-x-round-motorcycle-optics-approved-p-33060.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAl4WABhAJEiwATUnEFx0kltUCkSVgrgP_zoulDHc5dWHjd-bp_2blV5MbVpp4pa6s6KOAoBoCvScQAvD_BwE

58 minutes ago, daveinlim said:

I'm thinking of getting a sv650 for commuting but I don't like the headlight.

Are you saying if I take out the existing bulb and stick an led in it is illegal but if I replace the whole thing with something like in the link below then it is ok? Presuming that it is marked ok for road use etc.

https://www.ledperf.co.uk/led-headlight-for-suzuki-sv-650-x-round-motorcycle-optics-approved-p-33060.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAl4WABhAJEiwATUnEFx0kltUCkSVgrgP_zoulDHc5dWHjd-bp_2blV5MbVpp4pa6s6KOAoBoCvScQAvD_BwE

yes .. if accredited with correct type approval...  Type 1 in the link is marked ECE approved .. but no mention of which E number ..  caveat emporium

• Like 1

The issue with this is where the LED actually sits on the headlamp 

The position is critical to get the correct beam patterns and no stray light 

Sadly people just fit the cheapest ones they can find that are just shite 

• 7 months later...

A bit late to this topic, but I have a HID Light on my Cbf600sa8, and my bike has just passed its MOT. When I bought the unit I deliberately looked for one designed to replace the OEM halogen. I have had no issues with being flashed at night by oncoming vehicles, but the light has certainly made a difference to being able to see the road ahead

• Like 1