Newbie bike advice

JI999

Hello all,

I'm looking to get my CBT completed ASAP which isn't great at the moment as already had 2 cancelled due to covid!

I'm looking for some recommendations on 125cc bikes. I had read a lot of comments about people saying "just do your full license" but being a novice I want to build some confidence on a 125cc for around 6 months to a year prior to doing my full license.

The bikes I have been looking at are:

KTM Duke 125

Yamaha MT125

Honda CB125R

I have had many different opinions from friends who ride with the one I've been recommended the most being the KTM. I'm mainly looking for something reliable that I'm not gonna get niggling issues with so I thought I'd consult the experts.

Thanks.

J

Never ridden one and don't know a great deal about them but one of my neighbours has an MT125,  he rides it in all weathers and never has any problems with it.  It looks like a dog because he never seems to even to clean it, sits outside his house all year round ..... So as far as reliability goes it would seem a good choice, I have an MT10 and although the biggest of the MT series they are pretty good bikes.  The CB125 seems to be a popular choice with rider training schools.  Sorry can't give you anymore advice,  I'm sure there'll be someone on here who can help further,  I personally think that you're doing the right thing in using a smaller machine to build confidence "and skill" on, that's exactly what I did.  good luck with your training 👍

25 minutes ago, manxie49 said:

Never ridden one and don't know a great deal about them but one of my neighbours has an MT125,  he rides it in all weathers and never has any problems with it.  It looks like a dog because he never seems to even to clean it, sits outside his house all year round ..... So as far as reliability goes it would seem a good choice, I have an MT10 and although the biggest of the MT series they are pretty good bikes.  The CB125 seems to be a popular choice with rider training schools.  Sorry can't give you anymore advice,  I'm sure there'll be someone on here who can help further,  I personally think that you're doing the right thing in using a smaller machine to build confidence "and skill" on, that's exactly what I did.  good luck with your training 👍

Thanks Manxie,  much appreciated 👌

If you feel you need/want to ride a 125 for a while after the CBT and before doing a test, do it.

Don't listen to anyone saying 'just do your test'. Only you know your situation or what is right for you.

It would depend on your age aswell anyway (What test to do, whether worth it yet).

As for the bikes, not had proper experience with any of them. But the Hondas are usually bulletproof and

keep their value well. Get a good one second hand and you'll probably be able to sell it for the same price you

got it for a year later. The MT125's i've heard good things about, but they look SMALL. I wanted one but felt like

a giant ape on it, i'm 5ft 11 and bit on the chub side. 😂

No idea about the Dukes.

Also location, where you're keeping it, where you live etc - I believe a Duke is more likely to get stolen than a Honda CB.

Same with MT. More desirable bikes. So get that security in.

My tip is buy good second hand, or just second hand at good price.

6 months on New bike will lose quite a bit of money.

Sit on the bikes your thinking about see if any feel uncomfortable.

Then buy the one that's available that's best value for money/ condition.

In 6 months you plan to sell it so you will lose least money you might not loose any.

I certainly did not loose any significant amount. Even after 3500 miles.

If you feel you need experience on 125, your probably best getting one. Unless your surrounded by fast A roads.  If you have towns and slow road 125s are great. 

Edited by onesea

1 hour ago, peatear said:

If you feel you need/want to ride a 125 for a while after the CBT and before doing a test, do it.

Don't listen to anyone saying 'just do your test'. Only you know your situation or what is right for you.

It would depend on your age aswell anyway (What test to do, whether worth it yet).

As for the bikes, not had proper experience with any of them. But the Hondas are usually bulletproof and

keep their value well. Get a good one second hand and you'll probably be able to sell it for the same price you

got it for a year later. The MT125's i've heard good things about, but they look SMALL. I wanted one but felt like

a giant ape on it, i'm 5ft 11 and bit on the chub side. 😂

No idea about the Dukes.

Also location, where you're keeping it, where you live etc - I believe a Duke is more likely to get stolen than a Honda CB.

Same with MT. More desirable bikes. So get that security in.

Thanks peatear, I think the Honda definitely look the bigger out of the 3. 

It's going to be kept in a gated back garden with access only via a lane, was planning chaining it to the wall, wheel lock, alarming it and motion lights installed. 

44 minutes ago, onesea said:

My tip is buy good second hand, or just second hand at good price.

6 months on New bike will lose quite a bit of money.

Sit on the bikes your thinking about see if any feel uncomfortable.

Then buy the one that's available that's best value for money/ condition.

In 6 months you plan to sell it so you will lose least money you might not loose any.

I certainly did not loose any significant amount. Even after 3500 miles.

If you feel you need experience on 125, your probably best getting one. Unless your surrounded by fast A roads.  If you have towns and slow road 125s are great. 

Thanks Onesea, I was tempted to go new new but have been talked in to going second hand first. There's a lot going with very little mileage and relatively new so hopefully wouldn't lose too much!

Mainly gonna be used for a commuting so there's a few routes.

22 minutes ago, Bender said:

Life is short, which one do you like the most, that's the one you should be looking for.

This is true!

I think from an aesthetics point of view I'd be happy with any of them to be fair. Not having the chance try one and not having the most knowledge on them I thought I'd seek advice from experience riders.

Any of those three, whichever you are most excited about. I did 18 months on a 125 and only changed up and got my license because my commute changed. If I was going by excitement I would get KTM, if I was being super sensible either of the other probably Honda just because of reliability being so good.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, James in Brum said:

Any of those three, whichever you are most excited about. I did 18 months on a 125 and only changed up and got my license because my commute changed. If I was going by excitement I would get KTM, if I was being super sensible either of the other probably Honda just because of reliability being so good.

stick with the honda :thumb:

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, daveinlim said:

I have a Suzuki gsxs 125. 

15bhp, light and easy to handle with Japanese reliability. 

I can't recommend it highly enough. 

They do look good! I havent really looked at these as they "top recommendations" online were mainly the other 3...

Do you have any further detail you could provide about it? Nice looking bike in all fairness.

7 minutes ago, JI999 said:

I'm still undecided on weather to go brand new or used, I'm leaning heavily towards a low mileage used to be honest

If you are looking at doing your test then I would be going 2nd hand to minimise depreciation 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, skyrider said:

good idea :thumb:

it also works the other way. going brand new means a much better trade in, especially if you want to stay with the same brand.

a one owner bike is always going to be more attractive to a dealership.. especially if its the same dealership.

Depreciation on a 125 is somewhat different to larger bikes as there is a ready market for them. 125s don't stay on the showroom floor for long.

but, if its 2nd hand you want. I would still suggest you buy from a dealership. its going to cost a little more but at least there is some backup if 'reliability' is important to you. look for bikes that are a year old or less.

I would definitely recommend the Honda. £2800 brand new. knock off 30% for an excellent nearly new. (VAT+10%) £2000-£2100

Edited by Gerontious
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, JI999 said:

They do look good! I havent really looked at these as they "top recommendations" online were mainly the other 3...

Do you have any further detail you could provide about it? Nice looking bike in all fairness.

I've had mine for just over a year. I commute on it in to London daily (pre covid). 

I think it has the lightest bhp to weight ratio for 125s. It's nippy for a 125 , much more so than my previous honda cb125f. 

It is advertised as over 100 mpg but I don't know what I'm getting. I've not checked but I put about £5 a week in the tank. 

I use a 37L top box regularly which is perfect on the bike. I think I've hit 65 on the north circular even with the box on and full of stuff. There are the usual after market parts available bit mines standard. 

https://bikes.suzuki.co.uk/bikes/street/gsx-s125/

https://www.thebikemarket.co.uk/reviews/suzuki-gsx-s125-2017

14 hours ago, daveinlim said:

I've had mine for just over a year. I commute on it in to London daily (pre covid). 

I think it has the lightest bhp to weight ratio for 125s. It's nippy for a 125 , much more so than my previous honda cb125f. 

It is advertised as over 100 mpg but I don't know what I'm getting. I've not checked but I put about £5 a week in the tank. 

I use a 37L top box regularly which is perfect on the bike. I think I've hit 65 on the north circular even with the box on and full of stuff. There are the usual after market parts available bit mines standard. 

https://bikes.suzuki.co.uk/bikes/street/gsx-s125/

https://www.thebikemarket.co.uk/reviews/suzuki-gsx-s125-2017

Thanks Dave. You may have swayed to Suzuki now as after doing some browsing they seem quite a bit cheaper than the Yamaha and Honda but still with strong reviews. This will probably be a better option for ny first bike I think , although the Yamaha still makes me wonder about saving a bit more haha

If possible i'd sit on each of them ........ find out which is most comfy for me, (that's different for everyone) And if you make the wrong choice?????? you're only planning on owning it for around a year so can be chalked up to experience. Low mileage second hand is probably the better way to go in my opinion :) 

• Thanks 1