Great Chieftain o’ the Puddin-race!

onesea

Have you got your haggis, whiskey, neeps and tatties?

For Burns night, this year ours is a supermarket brand. the one that made it to space...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/scotland-now/top-scots-butcher-simon-howie-23362472.amp

Previously we have imported directly from a butcher in Dingwall.

Sadly this means no lorne sausage for breakfast...

I eat Haggis quite often . I did have a butcher in  my local high street that made an excellent Haggis but they have moved on . At the moment the best place to get a decent  one  is Aldi although it does need sharpening up with some extra black pepper . 

A few year back a set of our friends came down from Glasgow to the coast over the haggis weekend.

Brought all their dodgy food with them. Including the whisky. 

Unfortunately the do was for the saturday night and we did the 2 bottles of Scotland's finest on the friday night/Sat morning.

Saturday was rough to say the least....

We still piped in the haggis via alexa at said time after spending all day topping ourselves up.

Bizarrely enough. We stumbled upon everquip racings pre season launch do on the same night. (Based in hornsea)

I stank of whisky for a week....

• Like 2

Sadly no haggis this year. Just didn't have time and we usually have a huge dinner party so just the two of us didn't seem worth it.

But I am making up by putting a dent in my collection of single malts.

A few years back our daughter won a bottle on the church tombola which she gave to me. I'd never heard of it so looked it up. It was a small distillery that went bust years ago. When it was eventually bought and reopened they found the whiskey that had been laid down in the barrels so they released that in small batches. Obviously it will some years before they can produce any more.

It turns out the bottle someone donated to the tombola is worth several hundred pounds! I haven't yet opened it because I can't decide whether to drink it or keep it as in investment.

• Like 1

Drink it man. If you sold it you'd forever be wondering what you missed and its not actually cost you anything. Be warned though it might be disappointing.  My brother came round once with a rare and expensive whisky that when we tasted it was utterly vile. Still drank it though and somehow after the second glass it wasn't so bad.

9 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Drink it man. If you sold it you'd forever be wondering what you missed and its not actually cost you anything. Be warned though it might be disappointing.  My brother came round once with a rare and expensive whisky that when we tasted it was utterly vile. Still drank it though and somehow after the second glass it wasn't so bad.

That's why I've put off opening it. If it was lovely I'd be happy. If it was vile I'd be miffed. And I have several bottles of Lagvulin, Laphroaig & Talisker to enjoy before the need arises to risk opening it. I very much doubt the flavour is anywhere near worth what it currently changes hands for. It's probably more of a collector's whisky than someone who enjoys drinking it.

I'm with @S-Westerly

My father, many years ago had a expensive bottle of cognac. Proper expensive stuff that he always kept for a special occasion.

The special occasion that got it empty was a cleaning lady dropping it on the floor. 🙄

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, husoi said:

I'm with @S-Westerly

My father, many years ago had a expensive bottle of cognac. Proper expensive stuff that he always kept for a special occasion.

The special occasion that got it empty was a cleaning lady dropping it on the floor. 🙄

I am sure you are both right. We have an event coming up that would warrant opening it. Providing I have plenty of good alternatives to hand if it's disappointing. All depends on when we can have a family gathering again.

• Like 1

Funnily enough me and my Father (wrote like that especially for raeswell!)  were having a competition on Facebook last night over what bottles we have.

The Jura in the metal box was my wife's dad's before he passed away. Not much left in it now and as it's the original Jura before they rebranded I'm trying to save it for special occasions only 

IMG-20210123-WA0002~3.jpeg

FB_IMG_1611656897262.jpg

FB_IMG_1611656948092.jpg

Quite partial to  Bowmore  myself. On the subject has anyone else noticed that some whiskies once they are opened seem to go "off". My wife reckons so and I take it as an excuse to drink a bottle within a week of opening.:classic_laugh:

Edited by S-Westerly
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

some whiskies once they are opened seem to go "off"

Not something I've noticed with Spirits. If I open a bottle of Wine I always have to finish it that day as it always tastes "off" to me the next.

Went on a distillery tour in Oban, never tried it before, as a consequence it’s my favourite,  narrowly followed by Glenfiddich, you can keep your smoky, peaty stuff .... it’s like drinking a bonfire of old tyres.

11 minutes ago, Mickly said:

Went on a distillery tour in Oban, never tried it before, as a consequence it’s my favourite,  narrowly followed by Glenfiddich, you can keep your smoky, peaty stuff .... it’s like drinking a bonfire of old tyres.

I love the smoky whiskies. Wonderful stuff. But they're very much a marmite thing, you either love them or loathe them.

2 hours ago, Bender said:

You should all hang your heads in shame with all this gratuitous displaying of alcohol whilst some of us continue with our abstinence 😁 

Self inflicted punishment squire. I'll be enjoying a tot later this evening too.

I'm partial to the peaty, smoky whiskies too. Laphroaig is good.

Edited by S-Westerly
  • Haha 1

Seeing that the subject has turned to Whisky , I was wondering whether any of you aficionados have heard of the Arnamurchan Distillery . I only mention it because I stumbled upon it when it was still being built and went past it again a few years later . It's on the Arnamurchan Peninsula and can only be reached by traveling the most tortuous road I've ever travelled . The road is so difficult to navigate that the place still dosen't show on Google Street View because the Google car obviously hasn't been there for at least five years . Anyway here you go . https://www.adelphidistillery.com/

Screenshot_20210126-185259.png

Edited by fastbob
  • Like 1

Anything more heathen than drinking Bowmore from a branded Jack Daniels glass? :classic_biggrin:

Got it as a Christmas present years ago. The glass was nicer than the honey jack. That stuff was foul!!

16116961904146305224612769731084.jpg

Guest Richzx6r
7 hours ago, Six30 said:

Long time no see Rich , where you been ?

Yeah I guess, oh you know just been about and lurking. Haven't really had much to post myself so I havent