Radiator Fan Confusion

Guest cwarrener

Ok, the radiator fan isn't coming on at all so I thought I'd better fix it as the weathers improving! :D

If I ground the wire going into the fan switch the fan comes on(fan Ok), I fitted a brand new thermostatic fan switch(switch Ok), but it still isn't coming on. I thought it might be the contact so scratched up both sides, but still no joy :( .

I also stripped and moved the earth connection from a loose radiator connection to a firmer point on the body.

Any ideas?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2347/2481402286_fa79e45182_m.jpg

Edited by Anonymous

have you check for any brakes in the wires connect the fan up so its running and move the wires see if it cuts out if thats not it then im with korben that's me out of ideas then :lol:

Edited by cyberwolf

I'm keeping an eye on it! Only gets high in town with 5 or 6 successive redlights (London is Sh*tsville) ,I pull over and let it cool just before it hits the red. A/B/Mway it's fine.

Fan stays on constantly when shorted. Checked continuity of fan->switch wire, and is fine.

I am ABSOLUTELY STUMPED! :?:

(I can't believe I'm listening to Def Leppard 'Hysteria' again, I really am a sad old man..)

Edited by Anonymous

ideally you need to check the temp of the coolant while its warming up if the fan doesnt cut in by 111 degs c then start worrying

have you checked the coolant ? it could be very low and under the sensor for the fan

im not too clued up on the cbr's to be honest but most older bikes are the same :?

Coolants up to level in radiator and reservoir. Fresh in a couple of weeks ago. Thermoswitch is near base of rad as well, so I'm confident it's covered.

Edited by Anonymous

Guess I'll wing it for now. I'll get a toggle switch from Maplin and cable-tie it under the fairing! Too hot at lights? Hit the switch! How's that sound? My Bionic-bike!

Nipped down to Maplins, got switch and connectors, all done! What do you think?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3258/2483521754_7d0cc8cb79_m.jpghttp://farm4.static.flickr.com/3240/2483521676_b1da99ebe6_m.jpg

well it will go on/off now but annoying prob that---must be a thermo switch wire out -- you got a new unit so must be ok that--and you flushed system of gunge--that is basically it :?