Fazer 600 2003 manifold bolts

jedibiker

Hi all..

I will need to change the oil filter on the mrs bike at some point, and it looks like someone fitted a different exhaust at some point and il not be able to get the filter off without dropping the exhaust.

As you can see, the bolts look terrible, and from testing one, seem soft. They look nothing like ones ive seen on google for the fazer so guessing they used differnt bolts too.

Anyone know if these look right or not?

And, when searching for fazers, there are so many model types but all i know is its a 2003 fazer 600 lol. or fzs600. (search thing mentioned N,S models etc)

I know its not much to go by sorry.

20210129_174103(1).jpg

Hi @jedibiker, yep they look right for the Fazers, It is a bit of a tight squeeze to get the Oil Filter out!  Part no for nut is 90179-06668, if you can find picture online.

Send us a picture of front of exhaust near oil filter, but they look like stock headers.

2 minutes ago, oldgrump said:

Hi @jedibiker, yep they look right for the Fazers, It is a bit of a tight squeeze to get the Oil Filter out!  Part no for nut is 90179-06668, if you can find picture online.

Send us a picture of front of exhaust near oil filter, but they look like stock headers.

Ah right, when I changed the oil, I tried all ways to see if I could even get the new oil filter in, and there was no way at all. Even undid it at the back etc. I read its not easy, but if different manifold put on then have to come off. Which is stupid. So changed oil with doing it again soon in mind. Kind of pointless I know, but at least had a clean out.

Il get a proper photo tomorrow, its outside in the dark now.

The exhaust studs on Fazers are notorious for snapping. You can usually get an oil filter tool on an extension in between the middle two headers. Or if you're sitting on the ground at the side of the bike you can get your arm in behind the headers. It looks like you have a engine crash bar that's in the way? I would take that off and try getting in from the side instead of taking the exhaust off.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WD-40 said:

The exhaust studs on Fazers are notorious for snapping. You can usually get an oil filter tool on an extension in between the middle two headers. Or if you're sitting on the ground at the side of the bike you can get your arm in behind the headers. It looks like you have a engine crash bar that's in the way? I would take that off and try getting in from the side instead of taking the exhaust off.

Hi, maybe the Crash Bars are in the way, It's been awhile since I did a fazer, but sure now they come out the side as @WD-40pointed out. Unscrew the filter and turn it 90 degrees across front of engine.

Hi @jedibiker, Yep as you said After Market pipes, Looking at photo's I would say, no need to take the Crash bars off! you would't gain anything by removing them.

The only way I reckon you could get filter out/in maybe coming in from bottom of left hand side, on last photo.

I would try feeding new filter threaded end last, up behind exhaust. I know it's a bit restricted with other filter still in place, but you could see, if you could get above and drop it back down levelling it out as you did!

The other problem is of course getting filter undone!!! Not much room to fit a Oil filter wrench in there. Maybe a Strap one!

If you can't seem to fit filter in, you could try to take just the centre 2 pipes off, but I would spray the nut's and studs a lot at cylinder head, before even attempting to remove.

@oldgrump Yeah, when I did the oil, I did try and see if the new filter would atleast go in before attempting taking the old out. And there was no way it would go no matter what way or how I tried it. I saw a fazer post on google about aftermarket pipes having to come off. So seems daft putting them on. If I'm going to take any off Il do all and give the frame a proper clean up etc. Just worry normal fazer bolts wont fit, they should I guess.

So spray penetrating spray, then heat, let cool or try warm? Already lined up bolt extractors in case of the worse lol

I see what you mean now. The header is nearly touching the oil filter! That's a poor design. The originals have plenty of space between the header and oil filter. Looks like the headers are separate pipes. Maybe you could get away with taking off just one of the middle headers and leave the rest on. The studs that snap are the middle ones since they are behind the front wheel and all the dirt from the road gets flung into them. Your studs could be ok since someone has had them off before to change the exhaust but if they feel tight or start to bind up as you're undoing them don't force them or they could snap.

24 minutes ago, WD-40 said:

I see what you mean now. The header is nearly touching the oil filter! That's a poor design. The originals have plenty of space between the header and oil filter. Looks like the headers are separate pipes. Maybe you could get away with taking off just one of the middle headers and leave the rest on. The studs that snap are the middle ones since they are behind the front wheel and all the dirt from the road gets flung into them. Your studs could be ok since someone has had them off before to change the exhaust but if they feel tight or start to bind up as you're undoing them don't force them or they could snap.

1 of them was really soft a while ago and snapped, but I didnt notice it wasnt moving the full bolt. Now id know to lubricate and maybe ease it back and forth. The pipes all join underneath but I do think the middle 2 might give just enough space.

It is a terrible design, as anything you add to a bike should improve it.

Screenshot 2021-01-30 at 14.07.44.png

Hi @jedibiker, I use this a lot, find it slightly better than releasing spray, and you should be able to spray up the inside of nuts, Normfest Super Crack Ultra - Ice-Rust Remover 400mlProduct Code: NOR28944421

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oldgrump said:

Hi @jedibiker, I use this a lot, find it slightly better than releasing spray, and you should be able to spray up the inside of nuts, Normfest Super Crack Ultra - Ice-Rust Remover 400mlProduct Code: NOR28944421

thankyou,will look it up. :)

43 minutes ago, WD-40 said:

and put copper slip on the threads when you put them back

• Like 2