Honda PCX 125 Cutting Out

Sue

Hello everyone.

I have a Honda PCX 125 and it's 4 years old with just 5k miles.

No problems at all until today. It starts fine and goes fine but every time I twist throttle more than a little it cuts out as though it has stalled, splutters a bit but then starts again on button ok.

Rides no problem at all as long as really gentle with throttle.

Any thoughts what this could be? I have notoriously been burned by mechanics before and would be good if I had some idea of what it is before I take it in.

Thanks so much for your time in advance. 

4 hours ago, Sue said:

Hello everyone.

I have a Honda PCX 125 and it's 4 years old with just 5k miles.

No problems at all until today. It starts fine and goes fine but every time I twist throttle more than a little it cuts out as though it has stalled, splutters a bit but then starts again on button ok.

Rides no problem at all as long as really gentle with throttle.

Any thoughts what this could be? I have notoriously been burned by mechanics before and would be good if I had some idea of what it is before I take it in.

Thanks so much for your time in advance. 

Roughly where abouts are you, someone may be able to point you in the direction of someone won't rip you off.

5 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Could be a weak spark. Check the ignition system including the spark plug. Has it got damp recently?

Yeh it unfortunately sits outside all the time and the weather's been awful. Good advice, thank you :)

I don't know the engine on those but if you can see the lead running to the spark plug give it a spray with WD40. It is a water dispersant so if the lead has got damp into it WD40 might sort it temporarily.

When you twist the throttle the air fuel mix is richer to provide more power. That richer mix needs a good spark to ignite it. Engines which bog down on throttle but will pick up on gentle acceleration are often due to the spark being weak. 

Of course a worn spark plug will do the same.

12 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I don't know the engine on those but if you can see the lead running to the spark plug give it a spray with WD40. It is a water dispersant so if the lead has got damp into it WD40 might sort it temporarily.

When you twist the throttle the air fuel mix is richer to provide more power. That richer mix needs a good spark to ignite it. Engines which bog down on throttle but will pick up on gentle acceleration are often due to the spark being weak. 

Of course a worn spark plug will do the same.

Thanks so much that sounds exactly what's happening. I'll try with WWD40 - cheers!

• 11 months later...