Engine just.. stopped?

softwarez

Any chance of posting pics? maybe use your phone if you aint got a camera. Where about's is "near Hull".

It's a small place near Hornsea called Hatfield.

I can take pics, pics of what?

Any chance of posting pics? maybe use your phone if you aint got a camera. Where about's is "near Hull".

It's a small place near Hornsea called Hatfield.

I can take pics, pics of what?

The head for a start, showing the gaskets.

Righto! Tomorrow im dedicating another full day to it :) I will take a picture when i manage to get the engine dropped and open the head. (I know i can do this on the bike.. But if it is deeper down, it would be ideal to have the engine atleast dropped)

I'll get the pics up as soon as i take them.

Again - Really appreciate the help! :) It's true the biker type are good guys/girls, eh :) (well, most)

Go for it mate don't know what your experience is but carefully note wher everything came from, left or right etc...

Yeah, I feel confident with the entire working/mechanics and set-up of the Carb already. I will make diagrams etc as you said.

Ok, I will update this tomorrow with pics. Thanks alot guys! :)

P.S - Experience with bikes = None. Although I've near enough always done all my own work to the car etc. Nothing major-major though.

mate you have a piston ring prob--replace them -- or a hole in the piston

the NM of head bolts is low at around 15/16 lb--take off head do rings then use a quality gasket when re-doing up--- but check no hole in piston

hopefully :roll: this may solve problem--do plug too

Sorry for the blurred images! I'm no photographer :)

But here is the head opened:

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/599/img0001wi9.jpg

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/7404/img0002fn1.jpg

I'll keep working now. Cheers.

Also, thanks for the manual.

Okay, I have finally got into the cylinder and piston.

Doesnt look too great.

(The pictures are horribly blurred, sorry...)

The piston seems to have small scratches on it.. and part of the piston ring is actually slightly melted into the piston body (the piston smooths over it) Now.. The cylinder also has some scratchings. Its hard to tell from the picture, sorry.. What could i do? Get away with a new piston? Or would i need a entire new cylinder and piston? The reason i think it got like this is lack of 2stroke (the carb had a small blockage of the 2stroke, which i cleaned up before i took the head off etc) Could that of been the problem? Argh.. Annoying.. anyways heres the pics:

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/6179/img0003wr2.jpg

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/6674/img0004vm2.jpg

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/5774/img0005ls0.jpg

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/4813/img0006ti7.jpg

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/2348/img0007jw1.jpg

Edited by softwarez

Right, i'll ask them. I'll still be here.. and that, really appreciate all the help I got. I'm actually glad i ended up taking the bike apart.. I have learnt alot from it, and feel confident in fixing things myself etc now.. Alot cheaper than paying labour :)

While im at rebuilding my top end.. Im going to replace all my oil. Now.. What oil does the engine take? Im not sure what the mechanical part is called (lol!) But theres a dip stick to check its level etc...

If you look at the picture here, it is the metal box (engine..?) above the exhaust and under the metal frame.

I want to drain that. I know how to etc etc.. but what oil to use? Cheers.

P.S - Would it be okay to put 10w-40 in and straight back out again? (Just to make sure i get in the nooks and crannies) Or..? Cheers.

Yes, the engine takes a four stroke oil, it probably say's in the manual which ones the best though. Also once you've had the barrel sorted out and put it all back together, I'm not sure but there might be a certain oil you need whilst you run it in, although I'm no expert, I've never rebuilt a two stroke.

yeah just double check in manual in case they say something stupidly specific but 10-40 semi synthetic should be the stuff

let us all know result of work will ya please--probably take awhile

Little update:

drained all the oil out. It looks like a milky oil.. Im assuming this is water getting in, due to the piston being naffed?

Anyway.. I put some more oil in.. swished it about and emptied it again. Seems to be nice and clean now. So I'm leaving it like that for now. Just fixed afew things.. sprayed some stuff, repainted the exhaust manifold with hammerite as it was starting to rust slightly. Fixed afew things here and there.. Now I have to wait for Monday when the Piston/Cylinder kit comes!

Flush it all through with clean watter and then use diesel to flush it. Put it in the oven on a bout 70 degrees to dry it.

Check your bottom end bearings, the scoring could be a lub probem or a bearing allowing a bit much play. Wise to replace the gudgeon pin too, and get new gaskets.

Guest nigelf

this is a 2 stroke? surely the sump is dry and the oil in the engine is just for gearbox and maybe clutch (unless its a dry plate clutch)

2 strokes mix the oil with the petrol this is how the crank and cylinder get lubricated.

the rings melting into the piston is a pointer that there was not enough oil getting in to lube the cylinder.

The water in the oil is probably from either when you took head off and water ran into oil system or you also blew the head gasket, i think there is a black mark showing what loks like a blown gasket in one of the pictures.

the price is not too bad for the whole shooting match and if you can afford it go for it.

make sure you read the manual and learn all you can about this engine ... being 2 stroke it works different.

Oh and well done for having a go and not just packing it in and shipping it off to the shop.

Nigel

:oops: yeah Nigel--with all the head scratching the 2 stroke bit went out the window --- do these have a seperate oil chamber or are they tank mix ??

Thanks for the replies all :D

What seems to have been the problem is... When i took the Carb out, there was a blockage of the 2 stroke.. so im guessing the piston/cylinder was running dry and heating up like crazy... So the carb is now clean.. and I'm getting a cylinder replacement and piston kit / full gaskets etc for this monday.

Now, the only other thing which i am wondering about is.. How does the Con-Rod get lubricated?? I cant see 2 stroke getting down there to lube it all up! Is the con-rod lubricated via the oil i put in the lower part of the engine? Cheers!

(Nothing major, just like to know :) )

P.S - Thanks for the praise of giving it a go myself :D.. I'm glad i did, I've learnt alot and it hopefully will come out successful and cheaper then taking it to a shop :D