Engine just.. stopped?

softwarez

the numbers refer to the viscosity [thickness] of the oil--SAE is Society of Automotive Engineers who rate the stuff I think-- 5 is low viscosity[this is too low for most engines as it doesn't protect/lubricate well when working over time]--oil thins as it heats up

--use what the manual says--if it says a 5 use it

I'm well confused, lol!

I went into a motorbike shop.. (they do repairs and sell stuff etc) I asked him what i sohuld get.. He passed me:

"Light GEAR" Synthetic fortified 2 Stroke gearBox Oil - SAE 75W

:?:

I'm well confused, lol!

I went into a motorbike shop.. (they do repairs and sell stuff etc) I asked him what i sohuld get.. He passed me:

"Light GEAR" Synthetic fortified 2 Stroke gearBox Oil - SAE 75W is actually 10W40, I would be inclined to get 5W40 seen as thats what the manual says.

I'm well confused, lol!

"Light GEAR" Synthetic fortified 2 Stroke gearBox Oil - SAE 75W is actually 10W40, I would be inclined to get 5W40 seen as thats what the manual says.

Ahh.. I cant find 5w40 anywhere! I have looked in over 10 different bike stores today! :o

Would i be safe to use the 10w40 though?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHELL-HELIX-ULTRA ... dZViewItem

buy this if you are that worried

the 10-40 should be fine--older engine--the thin 5 oil may no longer provide the lube properties--it needs changing more frequently because of its inability to maintain these properties--the main lube for your engine is the 2 stroke oil in the fuel

Right.. Thanks again guys! I think i'll just stick with what the guy gave me... 10w40 (SAE75) or w.e lol.. Unfortunately the Rebuilt Kit didn't arrive today ( :( ) So I will have to do it after my exam tomorrow, if it arrives. I'll let you all know how it goes :)

Cheers.

Okay, im not good with bike engines at all..

I was riding along.. doing 60 and then suddenly my bike just stopped.. lost all power.. I had to try to control the stop, skidding down the road (luckily i controlled it well) Quite scary since it was my second time on a motorbike...

The bike is a Cagiva Planet 125.

It is sparking fine i know that much.. when i try to start it i hear a little 'poof' noise come from the exhaust.. at one point it even backfired (trying to start it) but it just wont have any of it..

I have taken the bottom fairing off etc etc.. and I see about 6 tubes all off.. (I dont know if this many breathers are needed etc..)

The tubes i can think off that go nowhere come from..

1. Radiator bottle

2. Petrol tank (the very left tube) (Looking at the bike form the front, i.e. leaning over handle bars to see) I cant explain what the other tubes come form as i dont know what they are called :(... However, the piston seems fine.. but a little dry? - There is enough petrol and 2 stroke.

Any advice? Thanks..

Without reading the rest of the post ill just put my opinion up.

Sounds like your top end has gone.

Take off your barrel and piston and look to see if its scratched/scored e.t.c. If it is then its your top end. Before just putting a brand new top end on make sure you check your crank bearings to make sure they are ok because if they are aint anything from 1-50 miles down the line your brand new piston will go again.

If you want a step by step on how to do this, message me.

Matty

Hey guys! I received the new piston/cylinder (top end) rebuild kit. After my exam today I started to work on it. So far i have the piston assembled and cylinder on etc.. I am confused as to what these washer / gaskets are for.. They are black rings (circle and have a circular body to them) But I never take any off when i was dismantling the top end, anywhere.. Here is a pic:

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/6131/washersgasketspb6.jpg

What are they for??

Oh, here is how it looks so far! Very clean and nice smooth cylinder/piston! brings a tear to my eye :D

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/9256/newcylinderyu3.jpg

:D!

(Doing the rest tomorrow, if you guys help me out with what these odd black washer things are for which i have never seen before! lol :D Cheers guys.

Hey guys! I received the new piston/cylinder (top end) rebuild kit. After my exam today I started to work on it. So far i have the piston assembled and cylinder on etc.. I am confused as to what these washer / gaskets are for.. They are black rings (circle and have a circular body to them) But I never take any off when i was dismantling the top end, anywhere.. Here is a pic:

What are they for??

Oh, here is how it looks so far! Very clean and nice smooth cylinder/piston! brings a tear to my eye :D

(Doing the rest tomorrow, if you guys help me out with what these odd black washer things are for which i have never seen before! lol :D Cheers guys.

lol there Inner and outer O-rings for the cylinder head.

And did you make sure your crank bearings are ok also??

Matty

What are they for??

The washer things are 'O' rings and will normally provide a seal at a water connection on the head for example. When you fit them use a light smear of lithium grease.

Hi, Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I checked the Con Rod bearings, they are fine :). Now.. These 'O' Rings.. I'm confused. When i took the head apart I saw no 'O' Rings, so I'm still unsure where they go.. You say provide a seal at water connections.. but I still am not sure where or how.. As there were none before...

is lithium grease absolutely needed? As I have none..

Cheers.

Hi, Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I checked the Con Rod bearings, they are fine :). Now.. These 'O' Rings.. I'm confused. When i took the head apart I saw no 'O' Rings, so I'm still unsure where they go.. You say provide a seal at water connections.. but I still am not sure where or how.. As there were none before...

Cheers.

Does it not show them in the manual you downloaded?

Cheers.

Does it not show them in the manual you downloaded?

The only 'O' Ring i see mentioned is the two big gasket O Rings just under the head. I didn't include this in the photo though as i knew about them..

It mentions something about 'Seal Ring' but this is all it says... (if that is even a O ring of part of the head, im not sure..)

http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/2088/dealringjy3.jpg

I mean I have look through the pages of the top end reassembly.. and i see no O Rings... :S and I didn't take any out either.. so.. bewildered.. :D

Edited by softwarez

Orite fella.

Right, you have one which geos in the head, one which geos in the water jacket, and the small one around the hole in between the head and water jacket. The small round green one with like metal circle round it is for powervalve.

Hope this helps!

Matty

Thanks for the reply :)

I know i seem to ask alot of questions.. but i dont want to get it wrong :)

I'm not to sure where you mean by "In the water jacket".

Basically.. If you scroll up you can see a pic where I am currently at. I have the Cylinder on and head off. Is this fine? or will i have to take the Cylinder off again? and I'm also unaware of where the power valve is (or where the ring for it goes ) :(

Thanks for the speedy reply

Oh, if it helps?... Here is a pic of my old cylinder/head so u can explain via it maybe :) Thx.

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/7404/img0002fn1.jpg

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/599/img0001wi9.jpg

Ok.

I have my cagiva mito 125 engine dropped out and in bits as we speak. If you can hang on till tommorow i will take pictures to make it easier for you.

Matty

hehehe ok.....

The power value is above the exhaust where it meets the barrel and the water jacket is the part that bolts over the head fella.

Hope this helps

Matty

Hey guys, thanks for all the advise etc.. Today i finished putting the top end together.. and attach all piping etc..

So.. it came to win or fail time.. I turned the key and....

Nothing :( ....

Injected a little fuel through carb.. and.. VROOM :D It came to life!! Well chuffed, first time on a motorbike engine and i manage to fix it! :D:D I have been riding today and I got 80 miles just done today, lol! (Running it in, very gently) Very chuffed :D!!! Thanks again guys! :D