Is your Tyre Plugger the best?

I have a stop n go kit. Never had to use it on the bike, but I have used it on a couple of car tyres. One mine, one my son’s. 

I’m not sure how ‘real world’ his test is using that pressure gauge thing is. 
Surely if you ran over a stone or something bigger that would be enough to dislodge the fix, then I’m sure you’d have other worries. Like picking yourself up off the road, or out of the ditch??

Edited by fullscreenaging
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, fullscreenaging said:

I have a stop n go kit. Never had to use it on the bike, but I have used it on a couple of car tyres. One mine, one my son’s. 

I’m not sure how ‘real world’ his test is using that pressure gauge thing is. 
Surely if you ran over a stone or something bigger that would be enough to dislodge the fix, then I’m sure you’d have other worries. Like picking yourself up off the road, or out of the ditch??

I bought a stop and go kit after seeing a recommendation by a motorcycle police officer. It followed two punctures on two tours the a space of three years. I carry it in the hope that I won’t have to use it. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

I bought a stop and go kit after seeing a recommendation by a motorcycle police officer. It followed two punctures on two tours the a space of three years. I carry it in the hope that I won’t have to use it. 

Agreed. I have it in my tank bag permanently. If I need  it, it’s there. 

1 hour ago, fullscreenaging said:

Agreed. I have it in my tank bag permanently. If I need  it, it’s there. 

Me too and the plug would only be a temp fix and allow me to ride gingerly until I found the nearest tyre fitters to get the tyre replaced 🙂  

Used them for years.. and every repair has turned out to be permanent. The more you ride the bike after the repair, the more 'permanent' it becomes. if it never loses any air, why should it need to be replaced. Though admittedly some people seem to 'do' paranoia better than me.. so there's that.

anyroad, the answer from me to the original question is.  Yes.

thanks for asking.

one little tip. with road side tyre repairs never underestimate the power of 'sods law' - if you carry a tyre repair kit and so on with you.. the need to use it actually seems to vanish. (just like that)

Every single 'object' Ive found in my tyre has been found at home.. when doing my usual pre-ride checks. 

Edited by Gerontious

I’ve got the sticky string pack. Had to use it once in a rear tyre.  Worked fine. Monitored the tyre pressure and it never lost any PSI.  Forgot about it till the the tyre needed replacing. 

12 minutes ago, onesea said:

All my plugs have been done in a garage, have pondered puncture kit then there is the inflation issue and more kit to carry...

Can i side track thread by asking about inflation.

If you have a 12v socket on your bike you can carry a compressor.. I have one, though its no use on my AT as the power socket only has a 2A fuse.

When I went to the Dolomites last september I carried a foot pump, which i kept in the bottom of my pannier.. and obviously, because i had it with me I never needed to use it.

obviously.

The gas capsule things you can get are for limping to a garage.  OK in a pinch.. but hardly satisfactory.

Edited by Gerontious

43 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

Used them for years.. and every repair has turned out to be permanent. The more you ride the bike after the repair, the more 'permanent' it becomes. if it never loses any air, why should it need to be replaced. Though admittedly some people seem to 'do' paranoia better than me.. so there's that.

anyroad, the answer from me to the original question is.  Yes.

thanks for asking.

one little tip. with road side tyre repairs never underestimate the power of 'sods law' - if you carry a tyre repair kit and so on with you.. the need to use it actually seems to vanish. (just like that)

Every single 'object' Ive found in my tyre has been found at home.. when doing my usual pre-ride checks. 

I had a puncture just outside Auxerre many moons ago. I spotted the nail in the tyre while checking my chain. The Hote Chambre owner pointed me at a place in the city. They plugged my tyre, and I rode home to Norwich with it in. I completely forgot about it (I’ll use pressure of work as an excuse) so it stayed in there until I replaced the tyre. That included a day of pottering around Cadwell Park on a track day. Ooops.  

Saw that FortNine vid. Nice to see him take the p*ss out of those shameless influencers, of whom there are so many around motorbikes.

I have tubed tyres, though, thanks to the oh-so-cool spokes on my wheels. I keep thinking I should start carrying some of that gloop stuff but always forget.

1 hour ago, Breezin said:

Saw that FortNine vid. Nice to see him take the p*ss out of those shameless influencers, of whom there are so many around motorbikes.

I have tubed tyres, though, thanks to the oh-so-cool spokes on my wheels. I keep thinking I should start carrying some of that gloop stuff but always forget.

I personally would not want to carry some of that gloop/snot as it is at best less than 100% and at worst will make a real mess of your rims.

You should hear tyre fitters on the subject !

I have tubes on the HD and will be actively investigating a way of going tubeless at the earliest opportunity.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

I cannot help but think the single point of contact a unusually lax way of testing for him. Also an unlikely method of failure. Hitting repeatedly with hammer, afew miles put on tyre, riding on gravel.

How ever the fast failure of the plug, certainly made Me think about that as a puncture repair...  Along with pictures of the tyre wall...

As for gunk or slime on tubed tires I see no issue, understanding it’s corrosive to rims I would not use.

Edited by onesea

depends a lot on the material the rims are made from and the coating if any.... but, here is a photo of what might happen. and its not pretty. The wheel was fit only for the bin. The rim is an Excel.. so a fairly common upgrade for off road style bikes. Its also been given the BarTubeless treatment. But anyway, the sealant got under the coating and caused massive corrosion to the metal. The owner was not happy!!

excel rim.jpg

Edited by Gerontious

I tried tyre gloop in my wife's bicycle tyres in case she got a puncture whilst cycling alone. She doesn't like changing tubes by the roadside.

I can confirm that it works - in the sense that it is a product designed to con the unwary in parting with their cash. It totally failed to seal a small thorn puncture, but did completely knacker the valve.

The back story to this is that she got a flat just outside Knutsford. I fixed the puncture but when trying to inflate the tyre it turned out the valve was clogged solid with the gloop. That in turn caused my pump to split. So whilst I had a spare inner tube I had no means to inflate it. I fitted the tube then left her and cycled into Knutsford to buy a new pump.

When I got back she was surrounded by young men with the latest self powered carbon fibre gizmo for inflating tyres. I got back hot and sweaty whilst they were looking all very cool and casual and she was very pleased with herself.

• Haha 2

On 15/02/2021 at 15:34, onesea said:

All my plugs have been done in a garage, have pondered puncture kit then there is the inflation issue and more kit to carry...

I’ve got something like this. Works well.
https://m.audew.com/Audew-150PSI-USB-Rechargeable-Electric-Preset-Pressure-Pump-LED-and-LCD-Display-p-100232.html?gmcCountry=GB&currency=GBP&cur_warehouse=fba_uk&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc_gg_ssc&utm_campaign=becky-20200805-uk-ssc-vehicle-CBN888-da&gclid=Cj0KCQiA962BBhCzARIsAIpWEL1vBaAxdPX5vEeZcMABeSTwS7yl9V48kzzmSZuKMuS44B9UF-P_KX4aAqU9EALw_wcB

On 15/02/2021 at 17:58, Ian Frog said:

I personally would not want to carry some of that gloop/snot as it is at best less than 100% and at worst will make a real mess of your rims.

You should hear tyre fitters on the subject !

I have tubes on the HD and will be actively investigating a way of going tubeless at the earliest opportunity.

Cheers

Ian

Yes, I'd heard that about it making a real mess.

There was some mention somewhere of a more advanced product that gives a cleaner solution,  but I've lost track of it. 

I had a puncture once. Aa plugged it for me be use I have cover, and no space under my seat for my wallet, let alone a compressor (no joke). I changed the tyre immediately - I ride pretty hard and fast and don't like the idea of a failure due to a puncture. 

On 15/02/2021 at 15:34, onesea said:

A few guys I know have this and swear by it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07XZCLGVQ?pf_rd_r=B8FE7JQFVQGP1F7C2WZD&pf_rd_p=6e878984-68d5-4fd2-b7b3-7bc79d9c8b60&pd_rd_r=1d899f4a-a502-43dd-9781-6a858fe77c5d&pd_rd_w=l43mA&pd_rd_wg=P2OJU&ref_=pd_gw_unk